Need feedback on hypercardioid microphones ($500 range)

OliKMIA

12 minutes ago, User said:

Is the school and church using a mic that is running through an audio board?

The reason why I'm asking is that, if they are, you could probably plug into the audio board and get better sound.

Thanks, I've always asked and have been politely declined.

Yes, I know that is the best route, besides trying to put mics and recorders on stage, etc.

Neither venue has ever consented to either way.

This Tuesday night I try again...

I'm really asking here because you guys are very knowledgable and experienced.

I have learned a LOT from this blog, THANKS TO ALL!

I read this thread with great interest and notice that a shotgun mic like I have is probably not that good to use in an auditorium and church group type environment?

Because of reflections causing reverb?

Maybe that's why the auditorium recordings sound muddy?

I know I have to do LOTS of post work on either.  iZotope plugins help me a lot...

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
11 hours ago, Yannick Willox said:

2. Hide two DPA 4060 (or similar) in furniture/plants of use those as pzm mics (making sure nobody can stand on them)

Solid suggestion, I regularly employ methods like this.
Also, it's easier to ask for forgiveness than permission... and if one of your venues is a church, and something goes wrong, they'll get the 'forgiveness' part ;) 

I am using the Sanken CS-M1 for a few days now and my first impression is..WOW! Just..WOW!

Low self noise, hot output, very controled handling noise, great tonal characterestics.

I am using Bubblebee Spacer kit for indoors and very light stuff and Cinela Cosi for outside.

For non professional sound men, this can be the only mic they need. Just 103mm long, so it can be excellent for on camera placement as well.

I need some more time with it as I am using a lot of other microphones at the moment, but it definitely is a heavy weight production tool of 55grams!

Just looked at the Cinela Cosi after seeing it mentioned in the thread several times. Wow. Can someone tell me why you'd put down over $500 on a deadcat?

On another note, I can feedback on using the Deity S-Mic 2 indoors. Definitely not a good first choice; it does struggle with reflected sound. I used it as a main mic in a short doc I just shot for my nonprofit and have not enjoyed dealing with it in post. Used outdoors, however, it does have a good sound. Wouldn't mind if it had hi and low cut filters, but you get what you pay for.

18 minutes ago, EphraimP said:

Just looked at the Cinela Cosi after seeing it mentioned in the thread several times. Wow. Can someone tell me why you'd put down over $500 on a deadcat?

On another note, I can feedback on using the Deity S-Mic 2 indoors. Definitely not a good first choice; it does struggle with reflected sound.

Because:

1) it is more acoustically transparent than other options (I hope you understand what that is and why it is so important).

2) it is very light and small - unlike full zeppelin solutions which matters if you hold it on a boom for 8 hours while your boom is 4-6 metres long.

3) It creates the necessary air vacuum to protect the microphone from the wind and protect the mic all around - unlike cheap softies that cover the front element only.

4) no handling and moving noises because the shock mount and engineering is exceptional

5) comes from probably the biggest innovator in wind and handling protection which sell only fully specialized items and with very limited quantities in E.U.

5b) unique design and construction. Mind you that this version is only for this mic. You can't put another mic in this particular combination.

6) it transforms to a camera thingy very easily for maybe the top on camera solution.

22 minutes ago, Kisaha said:

Because:

1) it is more acoustically transparent than other options (I hope you understand what that is and why it is so important).

2) it is very light and small - unlike full zeppelin solutions which matters if you hold it on a boom for 8 hours while your boom is 4-6 metres long.

3) It creates the necessary air vacuum to protect the microphone from the wind and protect the mic all around - unlike cheap softies that cover the front element only.

4) no handling and moving noises because the shock mount and engineering is exceptional

5) comes from probably the biggest innovator in wind and handling protection which sell only fully specialized items and with very limited quantities in E.U.

5b) unique design and construction. Mind you that this version is only for this mic. You can't put another mic in this particular combination.

6) it transforms to a camera thingy very easily for maybe the top on camera solution.

Good points. 

3 hours ago, EphraimP said:

In the context of the market they're in (such as Rycote etc) then that price doesn't strike me as especially unusual. 

3 hours ago, OliKMIA said:

Quick update. I ended up buying the Audix SCX1-HC and it sounds very good after a few tests indoor and in tight spaces.  Need more testing but it looks good so far.

As for the build quality, this mic seems very solid.

It is a safe bet. I used to have 2, I sold one to fund the little Sanken but the Audix is a great solution that lasts.

The microphone is build to the greatest standards, U.S powering and top German capsule.

Super versatile and amazingly priced.

I read a lot of people are considering the Oktava, just save some money and buy the Audix used people, is night and day in sound quality/handling noise/build quality.

• 1 year later...

OK, stupid question, but here goes...

Does it make sense to buy maybe not the BEST single mic and instead have a couple of mics that might be "lesser" mics but are better tuned to different types of voices???

Meaning, maybe one mic that is better for people with heavy sibilants, and another mic for people with really "boomy" voices but not much treble in their voice???

Or do you just get the best mic you can afford and try to fix it in post?

@Kisaha sorry to bug but you have spoken fairly highly about the Audix SCX1-HC. I have the opportunity to pick up the micro version of that model, the M1250BHC for a pretty good price used, about $175US. I would be using it primarily for indoor talking head interviews along with a Rode NTG3. I'm assuming the biggest issue will be getting it mounted properly on a stand or with a boom pole that's close enough to the talent for it to actually be effective. But wondering if there are any other issues I'm not considering (like does handling noise increase the smaller the mic is? etc) and basically whether this unit is even a worthwhile investment when weighing the price with what I'll be using it for? Thx...

4 hours ago, Ty Harper said:

@Kisaha sorry to bug but you have spoken fairly highly about the Audix SCX1-HC. I have the opportunity to pick up the micro version of that model, the M1250BHC for a pretty good price used, about $175US. I would be using it primarily for indoor talking head interviews along with a Rode NTG3. I'm assuming the biggest issue will be getting it mounted properly on a stand or with a boom pole that's close enough to the talent for it to actually be effective. But wondering if there are any other issues I'm not considering (like does handling noise increase the smaller the mic is? etc) and basically whether this unit is even a worthwhile investment when weighing the price with what I'll be using it for? Thx...

Unfortunately I do not know anything about the micro version!

I guess if you can put it close to the subject it will work. The other version is boom-able, the characteristics must be pretty similar.

There are straightforward solutions from Rycote and others to put on a boom the classic one, I am not sure what one can do with this. Maybe it is more appropriate as a hide-in microphone.

The smaller the mic, the more difficult is to put it on a boom because then there are other issues (very small mass needs very delicate solutions), so maybe it will be more expensive to buy accessories for the micro.

For me, shotguns is a NO NO for indoor dialogue or interviews. 

Maybe best of both worlds is the Sanken CS-M1, very happy with this, coupled with the Cinema Cosi, but it is overkill for your needs. Just find a good cheap used Audix, they are build like tanks. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/8/2020 at 2:45 PM, Ty Harper said:

Anybody with experience/opinions on the Audix M1250BHC ? Also a hyper but unlike the SCX1-HC I have yet to see any serious discussions about the pros/cons of this particular model.

Without spending longer the five seconds looking into it, I see it is extremely small, I wouldn't be surprised if that micro size results in quality compromises?

On 10/9/2020 at 1:56 PM, Mark Romero 2 said:

Does it make sense to buy maybe not the BEST single mic and instead have a couple of mics that might be "lesser" mics but are better tuned to different types of voices???

You do this after you've got "a best" mic. 

That's when you acquire even more.