Need feedback on hypercardioid microphones ($500 range)

OliKMIA

Hi,

I just purchased a C200 for a documentary and I'm looking for a super/hypercardioid microphone to pair it with for indoor interviews. Basically, there are three categories of microphones:

- Entry level ($100-$200): Samson C02 and Oktava MK-012
- Mid-range ($500): Audix SCX1/HC, Audio-Technica AT4053b, AKG CK93, Neumann KM 185
- High-end ($1200+): Sennheiser MKH 50 and Schoeps CMC6 MK41

I cannot justify the high-end microphone option after dropping big bucks for the C200 but I don't want to go on the cheap route neither because audio is often overlooked and bad audio rendering can ruin an entire project much faster than poor image quality. Therefore, I'm going to go for the mid-range option which is enough for my project. I'm inclined to get the AKG CK93 because I like this brand (great headsets) and the price is right ($460). This mic is also modular (the capsule can be switched to shotgun). But the other brands also seems fine.

Question: do you have any feedback or experience with these microphones? (Audix SCX1/HC, Audio-Technica AT4053b, AKG CK93, Neumann KM 185). I would love to hear your experience, good or bad before getting one of those. Eventually, I'll probably try them (thanks to amazon return policy) and decide which one is right for me. Thanks in advance for your help.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I love the CK93. The only other mic from the list that I have used is the KM 185, which I did not like as much. I have heard that the AKG shotgun capsule is not good, though I haven't used it. In some very limited tests, the omni and cardioid capsules sounded fine.

I found my CK93 for like $240 on ebay. I wouldn't pay full price unless you really want it brand new.

I have the CK93 and Audix SCX1-HC.  Got both used, I think CK93 for $200ish and SCX-1 for like $240 or something.

I am not a pro, but the audix sounds a bit fuller and I like it more.  I also like it more in the comparisons I've heard online.

From what I read, on axis it's pretty close to the schoeps.  KM-185 sounds sweet too but always sells for $600.

2 hours ago, OliKMIA said:

- Entry level ($100-$200): Samson C02 and Oktava MK-012
- Mid-range ($500): Audix SCX1/HC, Audio-Technica AT4053b, AKG CK93, Neumann KM 185
- High-end ($1200+): Sennheiser MKH 50 and Schoeps CMC6 MK41

I'd rename those three categories instead as:

Standard Pro Gear:
Indie / Prosumer Gear:
No Budget Gear:

30 minutes ago, scotchtape said:

KM-185 sounds sweet too but always sells for $600.

I'm still annoyed that I missed out on a KM185 a couple of years ago for US$400 ?

1 hour ago, KnightsFan said:

I have heard that the AKG shotgun capsule is not good

I've heard the same as well. 

I've got an Audix + MixPre 3. I used to work with a group that used NTG3 inside all the time. I had a chance to test them side by side;

My impression was, as crazy as it sounds, that the NTG3 was a better choice, even inside. This is madness, and I was the one always pointing out they should have a hypercardioid. Over the years, there was a single occasion (of 1000s) that I remember the NTG3 distinctly failed, due to reflections. This specific scenario was a man with an incredibly deep and booming voice, facing a corner with two massive windows. I remember thinking it would sound incredible, but it was completely hollowed out and thin, unlike every other time with the NTG3.

The frequency distribution and effortless richness of the NTG3 was simply preferable to the Audix, tested indoors. This is not a mark against the Audix, which has incredible sound of its own, but rather my surprise at how good the NTG3 was. One could get them closer with an EQ, but there was one radio guy's voice that I just couldn't match.

I feel the MKH50 is the 'spiritual brother' of the NTG3 in hypercardioid land ('blockbuster' sound). Audix is like a cheaper option to the CMC641

2 hours ago, Sage said:

My impression was, as crazy as it sounds, that the NTG3 was a better choice, even inside. This is madness, and I was the one always pointing out they should have a hypercardioid. Over the years, there was a single occasion (of 1000s) that I remember the NTG3 distinctly failed, due to reflections. This specific scenario was a man with an incredibly deep and booming voice, facing a corner with two massive windows. I remember thinking it would sound incredible, but it was completely hollowed out and thin, unlike every other time with the NTG3.

The frequency distribution and effortless richness of the NTG3 was simply preferable to the Audix, tested indoors. This is not a mark against the Audix, which has incredible sound of its own, but rather my surprise at how good the NTG3 was. One could get them closer with an EQ, but there was one radio guy's voice that I just couldn't match.

I feel the MKH50 is the 'spiritual brother' of the NTG3 in hypercardioid land ('blockbuster' sound). Audix is like a cheaper option to the CMC641

I do not agree at all.

NTG3 is a cheaper and lesser version of the MKH416.

The NTG3 is an excellent mic if you can't afford a Sennheisser.

Audix is a lot cheaper and a lesser version of the MKH50. Audix's capsules are made in Germany.

The Neumann is similar to the CMC641, or maybe a DPA, but then DPA's are even more expensive than the Schoeps.

44 minutes ago, Kisaha said:

I do not agree at all.

NTG3 is a cheaper and lesser version of the MKH416.

The NTG3 is an excellent mic if you can't afford a Sennheisser.

Audix is a lot cheaper and a lesser version of the MKH50. Audix's capsules are made in Germany.

The Neumann is similar to the CMC641, or maybe a DPA, but then DPA's are even more expensive than the Schoeps.

And that's A Ok; everyone has a unique vantage

Those are solely my first hand experiences, which were so different than everything that I expected (and directly contradicted my personal thinking that the NTG3 should not be used indoors)

Crazy as it sounds, I actually prefer the NTG3 to the MKH416! It has a more forgiving pick up pattern; and of course, there is the price factor

If I had to pick one desert island dialog mic, it would probably be the CMIT 5U

25 minutes ago, Mmmbeats said:

You want feedback on them?  Place a linked output channel speaker within range of the pickup pattern, that should do the trick ?.

I'm here all week (unfortunately).

Yes, I can potentially try them all and return to amazon but It's always helpful to benefit from the community experience. No need to waste time on a specific model if everybody says it's bad. From my research and based and the previous recommendations, it looks like I can't really go wrong with these 3 mics: Audix SCX1/HC,  Audio-Technica AT4053b,  AKG CK93

The Audix seems to be a good option recommended by many. I'll probably compare the Audix and the AKG.

2 minutes ago, OliKMIA said:

Yes, I can potentially try them all and return to amazon but It's always helpful to benefit from the community experience. No need to waste time on a specific model if everybody says it's bad. From my research and based and the previous recommendations, it looks like I can't really go wrong with these 3 mics: Audix SCX1/HC,  Audio-Technica AT4053b,  AKG CK93

The Audix seems to be a good option recommended by many. I'll probably compare the Audix and the AKG.

I was making a lame joke about 'feedback'.

The Oktava is great budget mic so long as you don't move it around, very sensitive for handling noise - would be ok for interviews, the Rycote babyball gag helps. The at4053b is a lovely sounding mic and more forgiving when on a boom. I also have the ntg3 which as Sage says is best outdoors but surprisingly good indoors if the space isn't too reverby

If I were stranded somewhere... I wouldn't mind it being a dessert island. ?

Think how Tom Hanks would've looked after all that time! His buddy wouldn't have been Wilson... it would've been Häagen-Dazs.

On the topic of audio and islands... Bear Grylls is back with: https://www.channel4.com/press/press-pack/treasure-island-bear-grylls-press-pack . They have 'hidden' audiopacks in the shoulder bags they're carrying. With the show Naked and Afraid, they seem to have put 'em away in the necklaces. Just a weird sidenote. ?