EOSHD releases hacked GH2 patches and film modes

Andrew Reid

• Administrators
[html]

[img]http://www.eoshd.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/eoshd-patch-vault1.jpg[/img]

Are you mystified by the sheer amount of patches and settings out there for the hacked GH2? I certainly am. Well there is a saying that has served me well in the past – if you want something doing properly, do it yourself! I have been working on my own patches. I’ve optimised these as well as the film modes and I shoot with them on my own work. I believe them to be the most optimal patches and film modes for the best image quality currently possible on the GH2 – at least to my eye.

[url="http://www.eoshd.com/content/6563/eoshd-releases-hacked-gh2-patches-and-film-modes/"]Read full article[/url]

[/html]

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks, Andrew!

Great information and helps to cut through some of the confusion about the variety of hacks available.

Regarding the new film modes, I noticed you are suggesting using nostalgic at +2 contrast while in the handbook you recommended -2. Why the change? Better footage out of the camera, with less grading?

Thanks for your time!

• Administrators
Edit: I've removed the verification form from the forum for posts and topics. It was only for new members, it went away after post count goes past 2... But decided to restrict it to the registration form now. Please report any spam if you see it :)

[quote author=crashandannie link=topic=81.msg768#msg768 date=1324182122]
Thanks, Andrew!

Great information and helps to cut through some of the confusion about the variety of hacks available.

Regarding the new film modes, I noticed you are suggesting using nostalgic at +2 contrast while in the handbook you recommended -2. Why the change? Better footage out of the camera, with less grading?

Thanks for your time!
[/quote]

I was gonna write this exact comment and question.

I find Andrew's film mode for "Nostalgia" with the high contrast not very good unless I'm after that particular look of blown out highlight it definately not for me. I much prefer "Cinema" mode because of higher DR at highlight and set sharpening to -2 and leave contrast at 0 or -1, -2 depending on taste.

• Administrators
[quote author=crashandannie link=topic=81.msg768#msg768 date=1324182122]
Thanks, Andrew!

Thanks for your time!
[/quote]

In the book I use Nostalgia as a flatter picture profile but here Smooth takes the place of the flat picture profile and Nostalgia is meant to mimic Canon and have a punchy ready-to-use image which doesn't need grading. For sake of consistancy I'll update the book with the new hack patches and the same film mode settings, with a note about how the contrast setting affects the image exactly.

[quote author=ed_lee83 link=topic=81.msg783#msg783 date=1324203960]
Great to see your patches.
What's the spanning on your Road Runner patch? Do we need to use 95mb/s cards?
[/quote]

I'd like to know the answer to that too, I just bought a Sandisk 45mbps card which should be more than enough in terms of speed, I just want to know if the camera stops at 4GB or will it keep recording.

So I've had my GH2 for a while now and decided to enter this hacking business. I'm currently using the latest version of PTools (3.6) with the Vanilla 44mb patch. I'm using Transcend Class 10 16gb SD cards. Using various ISO and testing last night and this morning, I'm still getting an average bitrate of ~13 mbps according to CinemaTools. I checked my pre-hack GH2 files with CinemaTools and it sill has the same rate.

Am I doing something wrong? Am I suppose to see bitrates closer to 30-40? My Canon 5D Mark II clips have an average bitrate of ~23mbps.

Also... I've used both Apple ProRes 422 and Apple ProRes 422 (HQ) codecs.. no differences in bitrates between original and hacked GH2.

ProRes 422 - ~13mbs
ProRess 422 (HQ) - ~20mbs

• Administrators
I'm using a 30Mb/s Sandisk, so no 95 card needed as far as I am concerned. Seems pretty reliable with the normal card.

Jay it depends on the scene you are shooting and how much detail is contained in it... With shallow DOF the variable bit rate will be lower because the amount of the frame that contains sharp detail is very small. Any screen grabs?

• Administrators
That is a lot actually for a static scene like that from the Vanilla 44 patch. Moving the camera will see the bitrate spike upward. If you notice any compression in the image that is when the codec is not doing its job. It looks good to me, like a photo.

[quote author=Andrew Reid - EOSHD link=topic=81.msg798#msg798 date=1324245729]
I'm using a 30Mb/s Sandisk, so no 95 card needed as far as I am concerned. Seems pretty reliable with the normal card.
[/quote]

Thanks for clarifying. I also remember ages back, when you suggested values for a more warmer Canon look, you also adjusted the colour settings a bit? Is this still the  case with CaNostalgia?

Hi Andrew,
I recently got a GH2 as a B camera for my Canon 5d II, and your book helped me to get in quickly to this little jewel.
So, thanks for that and for your very informative web site.
2 questions.
These patches are for the old version 1.0?
I have an ntsc camera. Your GOP settings are thought for both format or just for Pal?
Thanks.