Sony 6K Full Frame PXW-FX9/FX6 Leak

androidlad

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
On 9/5/2019 at 10:52 PM, Mako Sports said:

all of the latest Sony bodies have significantly better looking skin, not just the Venice. (RX100mk6 and Mk7, FS5mkii, A7iii, Riii - R4, RXOmkii etc) 

You obviously haven't seen what they have done with the A7RIV lol. Back to square one

On 9/28/2019 at 10:20 PM, bigmouthmediadigital said:

Has anyone heard about what the FX-6 is going to offer that the 9 doesn't ?

Why would you expect it to offer something more? Most likely it will be priced lower and missing a few features.

If I had to guess, I'd say: s35 4K sensor. Up to 4K60p but 10-bit limited to 30fps. Possibly raw without the extension unit, but only if they keep the sensor at 4K.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/3/2019 at 11:23 PM, barefoot_dp said:

Why would you expect it to offer something more? Most likely it will be priced lower and missing a few features.

If I had to guess, I'd say: s35 4K sensor. Up to 4K60p but 10-bit limited to 30fps. Possibly raw without the extension unit, but only if they keep the sensor at 4K.

fx6 will be full frame as welll

1 hour ago, Mako Sports said:

I believe there was a source that was spot on for specs and release date with the FX9 said the fx6 will be full frame.

Hope your correct.

I think there is very little they could take away from the FX9 that I would be okay loosing when buying a FX6. At this point 4k 10bit 60p is a minimum requirement for a cinema camera purchase.

2 hours ago, Geoff CB said:

Hope your correct.

I think there is very little they could take away from the FX9 that I would be okay loosing when buying a FX6. At this point 4k 10bit 60p is a minimum requirement for a cinema camera purchase.

They should have killed off the F5 and F55 via giving the FX9 4K 120fps. That would've been a given for 4K 60.

Although now there is no reason Sony cant put the FS7 specs and capabilities inside of an FS5 body (in 2019/2020) do that + that class leading A9 video autofocus and it will sell like hot cakes. 

Perhaps 4K 10-bit 422 or 420 30p with a codec too low to meet broadcast specs and remove the timecode ?

I would hope it's not 8-bit in 4k, but 8-bit with great colours is better for me than 10-bit that I have to work on. Great autofocus, variable ND, XLR inputs and good out of the box colours would still make it a great camera for all the web delivered content being shot by single shooters ( me for instance! ). An upgraded FS5 II with the Venice colours available in more than one profile, full frame and great autofocus, I'm guessing about £6k ?

What else could they cut down to make the A7s3 though ? Just the variable ND and XLR inputs ? Perhaps the A7S3 will be 8-bit 4k and the FX6 will be 10-bit ? 

23 hours ago, Otago said:

What else could they cut down to make the A7s3 though ? Just the variable ND and XLR inputs ? Perhaps the A7S3 will be 8-bit 4k and the FX6 will be 10-bit ? 

I don't really think they need to worry about that too much. Most people buy the FS5 for the 'real video camera' aspect, and will continue to do so with future models even if the mirrorless one has better resolution or frame rates, etc. Of course Sony aren't going to crazy and put 4K120p 10 bit in to the A7sIII, but I don't think it's a big deal if one or two specs are slightly better.

8 hours ago, barefoot_dp said:

I don't really think they need to worry about that too much. Most people buy the FS5 for the 'real video camera' aspect, and will continue to do so with future models even if the mirrorless one has better resolution or frame rates, etc. Of course Sony aren't going to crazy and put 4K120p 10 bit in to the A7sIII, but I don't think it's a big deal if one or two specs are slightly better.

True, I plan to snag an A7iii this month and if the FX6 is full frame then I wont have to buy an A7siii. I'll just sell my fs5 and upgrade to the FX6. 

On 9/29/2019 at 12:20 AM, bigmouthmediadigital said:

Has anyone heard about what the FX-6 is going to offer that the 9 doesn't ?

More dollars left in your pocket. 

On 10/14/2019 at 10:51 PM, Otago said:

Or another option: the a7Smk3 won't happen!

• 4 weeks later...

I have the FX9 on pre-order... my only big issues with it is that FF 50/60p is a 5K crop and that you need the XDAC extension for raw output. I’d be fine if it still needed external recorder, but both the big back AND a recorder is a bit much. On the other hand, the internal codec will be fine for 90% of my work, and for the rest 10bit 422 ProRes via a Ninja V will be just fine. 

No 6K recording is also not an issue as that’s twice the file sizes of 4K. I’m already struggling with file sizes of decent codec 4K.

The FX6 will probably be an FS5-like version of the FX9. Smaller and with crappier codecs. Will be interesting to see what kind of raw output it gets. 
In one of the FX9 videos a Sony representative said the change in name from FS to FX indicated the full frame sensor. Which makes me believe that the FX6 will also be full frame. My guess is that it will be announced at NAB at the earliest (and shipping a few months after). Most likely later.

The only cameras that I know of that does FF 4K 50/60p or above are VENICE, RED, Canon C700/500II and the FF Arris. All others only do 50/60p in crop mode. Which means that if 50/60p is really important to you, you might as well get a S35 camera. Or pay the big bucks. I don’t think this will change with the A7SIII. 

The reason there’s no IBIS in the FX9 is that it’s not possible to combine with the electronic ND filter at this time. 

FX9 will get full frame 50/60p via firmware

@DmitriZigany

Based on ongoing discussions with content creators, FX9 is gaining significant new capabilities through firmware updates.

Future updates are as below. Firmware releasing timing remains to be determined.

• 16bit RAW output (with XDCA-FX9)
  • Full-frame 4K 60p/50p recording with oversampling (Image sensor scan size is around 5K)
  • FHD 180fps shooting
  • DCI 4K recording
  • Support DWX digital wireless audio receiver (with XDCA-FX9)

https://pro.sony/en_PE/products/professional-cameras/fx9-firmware-roadmap

• 3 weeks later...

Good thorough review - interesting to see it copes considerably better than the Canon c500mk2 with dynamic range when pushing over and under exposure using internal Sony XAVC and Canon's XFAVC respectively. Wonder how the internal raw on the Canon compares?

Also the AF on the Sony seemed to kick in and track a lot earlier than on the Canon. Be good to see some more thorough testing between these 2 cameras

10 hours ago, ade towell said:

Good thorough review - interesting to see it copes considerably better than the Canon c500mk2 with dynamic range when pushing over and under exposure using internal Sony XAVC and Canon's XFAVC respectively. Wonder how the internal raw on the Canon compares?

Also the AF on the Sony seemed to kick in and track a lot earlier than on the Canon. Be good to see some more thorough testing between these 2 cameras

Great review, FX9 has me excited for the FX6