Sony 6K Full Frame PXW-FX9/FX6 Leak

androidlad

3 hours ago, nathlas said:

the biggest issue is the non internal RAW recording capability.

That's a huge disadvantage.

2 hours ago, thephoenix said:

16 bit raw, we're talking huge amount of disk space needed here

Yes, IMHO uncompressed raw formats are more of a pain in the ass for productions that this camera is primarily aimed at, so I don't think it's that much of an issue. For those jobs that need it, you can get it externally. If there was a possibility to do some form of compressed raw, the situation would be entirely different of course..

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
4 hours ago, johnnyd said:

Yes, IMHO uncompressed raw formats are more of a pain in the ass for productions that this camera is primarily aimed at, so I don't think it's that much of an issue. For those jobs that need it, you can get it externally. If there was a possibility to do some form of compressed raw, the situation would be entirely different of course..

They can, by offering Red the license fee for compressed raw or some sort of cross license deal that Canon and Red have done, or wait til Apple win the suit.

48 minutes ago, ntblowz said:

They can, by offering Red the license fee for compressed raw or some sort of cross license deal that Canon and Red have done, or wait til Apple win the suit.

Yeah, we'll see, I'm gonna guess that Red isn't really willing to give a license to anyone else at this point though, least of all to Sony :)

On 9/13/2019 at 9:51 PM, Mako Sports said:

Depends on the market as someone that shoots sports I see FS7s more than any other Super 35 ILC.

Yup, the FS7 (both mk1 and mk2) has absolutely dominated  the low/mid market in the professional world. 

On 9/14/2019 at 5:20 AM, Oliver Daniel said:

I doubt the FX6 will be worth looking at. It'll record in XAVC-L and 60p will be 8bit. Quickly dethroned by an EVA2 like the FS5 was with the EVA1. 

I'm curious what Panasonic will do with an EVA 2.  If they sort out their AF they will be very hard to beat.

Hopefully the EVA2 will be able in both MFT and L Mount, or at least one of those two. 

On 9/14/2019 at 12:04 PM, Video Hummus said:

I think focus pullers are crapping their pants.

A 1st AC does so so much more than just pull focus, they'll still have a job somewhere. 

On 9/14/2019 at 4:03 PM, Mako Sports said:

One thing Sony has on everyone is a single mount from high end cinema all the way down to the mirrorless photography bodies.

A massive missed opportunity by Panasonic not to do the same with their GH5/EVA1/VaricamLT

Downloaded the original ProRes files available on this Vimeo link - wow the colour straight out of camera, detail from downsampling 6k to 4k, and amazingly clean lowlight at 12800 iso -  this camera looks much  closer to Venice than it does FS7. Really beautiful footage, unless you need raw this camera is going to be hard to beat 

2 hours ago, ade towell said:

Downloaded the original ProRes files available on this Vimeo link - wow the colour straight out of camera, detail from downsampling 6k to 4k, and amazingly clean lowlight at 12800 iso -  this camera looks much  closer to Venice than it does FS7. Really beautiful footage, unless you need raw this camera is going to be hard to beat 

I wonder how many Netlix shows will shoot on the FX9 instead of Venice / Varicam LT / etc?

Sony FS7 just got a price drop. Down to $6,000 new and around $5,000 used atm. I think when they get down to $4500 I might pick one up and sell my FS5. 

43 minutes ago, crevice said:

If this new color science trickles down to the cheaper cameras it will be amazing. The problem with the FX9 to me is its size makes it almost only suitable for shoulder work. 

yeah its def made to be used on the shoulder or a tripod. C500mkii is the better option for a gimbal operator that needs autofocus. 

43 minutes ago, Mako Sports said:

Sony FS7 just got a price drop. Down to $6,000 new and around $5,000 used atm. I think when they get down to $4500 I might pick one up and sell my FS5. 

yeah its def made to be used on the shoulder or a tripod. C500mkii is the better option for a gimbal operator that needs autofocus. 

You might be about to cop one on ebay for around $4500 

11 hours ago, Mako Sports said:

The FS7 has already been selling for mid $4K ish on eBay now and then for a little while already before the FX9 announcement 

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=sony+fs7&_sop=15&_sacat=11724&Brand=Sony&_dcat=11724&Type=Professional&_stpos=90721&_fcid=1&rt=nc&LH_Sold=1&LH_Complete=1

I just had a play with the PB footage... wow. I feel it must be said.  As a C200 owner, and owner of many Canon products, this Sony looks fantastic. Dare I say it? I believe this Sony looks more cinematic than the footage I saw from the Canon C500 Mk2. I believe this camera just might be epic. 

Threw on a simple Film Convert and everything came together. The motion cadence is spot on. And the colors... did I say colors and Sony in the same sentence? Whatever, they look glorious. I'm simply blown away. 

I suddenly find myself rethinking my plans to pickup the C500 Mk2. Now if they can get that same color science into an A9 or A7 series body,  that would make the perfect B-cam.

It seems Sony is really not playing games with this one. 

2 hours ago, DBounce said:

I just had a play with the PB footage... wow. I feel it must be said.  As a C200 owner, and owner of many Canon products, this Sony looks fantastic. Dare I say it? I believe this Sony looks more cinematic than the footage I saw from the Canon C500 Mk2. I believe this camera just might be epic. 

Threw on a simple Film Convert and everything came together. The motion cadence is spot on. And the colors... did I say colors and Sony in the same sentence? Whatever, they look glorious. I'm simply blown away. 

I suddenly find myself rethinking my plans to pickup the C500 Mk2. Now if they can get that same color science into an A9 or A7 series body,  that would make the perfect B-cam.

Yeah, they really nailed the look. It looks insanely good. Not only do I hope they bring the color science to other cameras - but I hope they also bring the motion cadence. Whatever the hell they have going on in that camera, they need do more of it across more of their cameras.

9 hours ago, DBounce said:

What they need to do now is release that mega delayed A7S III, with the same colour profile. 

I predict it will be:

• Full readout 4k 60p 8 bit internal (but 10bit external, 60p will be cropped).
  • HD up to 120p 10 bit internal.
  • PDAF of A7RIV etc. 
  • Some lowlight wizardry with a higher MP. 

Then we've got a great setup to fit many situations. 

1 hour ago, Oliver Daniel said:

What they need to do now is release that mega delayed A7S III, with the same colour profile. 

I predict it will be:

• Full readout 4k 60p 8 bit internal (but 10bit external, 60p will be cropped).
  • HD up to 120p 10 bit internal.
  • PDAF of A7RIV etc. 
  • Some lowlight wizardry with a higher MP. 

Then we've got a great setup to fit many situations. 

I was kind of thinking they'll just put it in the A73. However I think they'll have to make the body larger to handle 4k 60p which makes me think an A7S3 might happen. I predict there will be no 10 bit out though and probably no 10bit HD either.

On 9/17/2019 at 8:27 PM, IronFilm said:

The FS7 has already been selling for mid $4K ish on eBay now and then for a little while already before the FX9 announcement 

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=sony+fs7&_sop=15&_sacat=11724&Brand=Sony&_dcat=11724&Type=Professional&_stpos=90721&_fcid=1&rt=nc&LH_Sold=1&LH_Complete=1

Some guy selling both F5 and FS7 for around $3700, scarlet mx for $4400 on trademe.