Nikon Z6 To Get Internal Raw

DBounce

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
1 hour ago, kye said:

and the EOSHD Nihilist quote of the day goes to..........   *drum roll*

???

Gosh Kai, thanks! What an honour, for a moment there I thought my comment might have been a little too hip for the room :) 

And because we leave no stone unturned in our undertakings, the idea of 'emptiness' actually comes from the Theravāda Buddhist concept of Sunyata...

"Emptiness is a mode of perception, a way of looking at experience. It adds nothing to and takes nothing away from the raw data of physical and mental events. You look at events in the mind and the senses with no thought of whether there's anything lying behind them. This mode is called emptiness because it's empty of the presuppositions we usually add to experience to make sense of it: the stories and world-views we fashion to explain who we are and the world we live in. Although these stories and views have their uses, the Buddha found that some of the more abstract questions they raise — of our true identity and the reality of the world outside — pull attention away from a direct experience of how events influence one another in the immediate present. Thus they get in the way when we try to understand and solve the problem of suffering."

It's hard to see folks suffering at the hands of camera manufacture's limitations... just trying to do my part.

I really should be editing... but this is just too much fun ;)

Nikon had mentioned internal raw coming after adding CFExpress support, so this doesn't surprise me. I'll be curious to see what the footage looks like. Internal raw for a hybrid that is usable for daily use,  without the need for rigging would be a huge breakthrough. Should a Sony A7S3 eventually be released I seriously doubt it will have internal raw. Nikon might be stealing everyone's thunder. 

11 hours ago, Trek of Joy said:

You sure that's not just a prop camera? Its not like they have a lot of options with XDQ cameras that support Cfexpress.

Chris

Interestingly, I just received a "product pre-order" email notice for these SanDisk ExtremePRO CF Express cards from one of the major NY retailers this morning and noticed in one of the linked ads...

<<

XQD COMPATIBILITY
The card is backwards-compatible with select XQD® cameras that adopt firmware enabling CFexpress®,2 the CFexpress Card Type B bridges existing devices with the future of technology.

>>

...so I went to Sandisk's own product page for more details and found...

<<

Compatibility:     Backwards-compatible with select current XQD® host devices ^2

2. Backwards compatibility with select XQD® cameras subject to the availability and installation of a camera firmware update provided by the camera manufacturer enabling CFexpress® compatibility.

>>

...from here...

Extreme PRO<sup>®</sup> CFexpress<sup>®</sup> Card Type B | SanDisk:

https://www.sandisk.com/home/memory-cards/cfast/extremepro-cfexpress-card

Sooo, a CFexpress Card (with 1700MB/s read and 1400MB/s write speeds) will fit into an XQD slot and would work if the camera-maker provides the firmware to do so?! Hrmm, interesting development.

So, in the Panasonic world their S1/S1R 1x SDXC + 1x XQD card slot cameras could conceivably accommodate in-camera RAW recording to one of these XQD-compatible cards but their S1H with its 2x SDXC UHS-II (with their 300MB/s read and 260MB/s write speed) slots would be locked out of this internal RAW recording potential?!

Unless I'm missing something obvious, it seems like an odd card strategy on Panasonic's part (well, if internal RAW was ever in their strategy, ha!)...but its potentially great news for all you 1x QXD Z6 users! :D

26 minutes ago, Jimmy G said:

Sooo, a CFexpress Card (with 1700MB/s read and 1400MB/s write speeds) will fit into an XQD slot and would work if the camera-maker provides the firmware to do so?! Hrmm, interesting development.

So, in the Panasonic world their S1/S1R 1x SDXC + 1x XQD card slot cameras could conceivably accommodate in-camera RAW recording to one of these XQD-compatible cards but their S1H with its 2x SDXC UHS-II (with their 300MB/s read and 260MB/s write speed) slots would be locked out of this internal RAW recording potential?!

Unless I'm missing something obvious, it seems like an odd card strategy on Panasonic's part (well, if internal RAW was ever in their strategy, ha!)...but its potentially great news for all you 1x QXD Z6 users! ?

My guess is that Panasonic opted to go with the dual SDXC UHS-II card slots on the S1H so that it'd be somewhat more cost-efficient and immediately useful for buyers in 2019 (as well as how Panasonic's already mentioned that they did dual card slots of the same memory cards to allow dual recording and what-not for filmmakers). XQDs are new and will likely continue to become more prominent in the coming decade, but with how pricey they are currently and less common they are compared to SD cards, Panasonic probably opted to wait for now. 

If this internal raw video takes off with the Nikons soon, I wouldn't be surprised if we see Panasonic begin to incorporate that into future camera models down the line. 

37 minutes ago, Vintage Jimothy said:

My guess is that Panasonic opted to go with the dual SDXC UHS-II card slots on the S1H so that it'd be somewhat more cost-efficient and immediately useful for buyers in 2019 (as well as how Panasonic's already mentioned that they did dual card slots of the same memory cards to allow dual recording and what-not for filmmakers). XQDs are new and will likely continue to become more prominent in the coming decade, but with how pricey they are currently and less common they are compared to SD cards, Panasonic probably opted to wait for now. 

If this internal raw video takes off with the Nikons soon, I wouldn't be surprised if we see Panasonic begin to incorporate that into future camera models down the line. 

Well, XQD 2.0 has been kicking around since 2012, so it's not exactly new...and their price-per-GB is fairly comparable to V90 SDXC. Also, dual-card recording is accommodated between the SD and XQD cards on the S1 and S1R, what was interesting and odd to me was that Panasonic dropped the faster XQD on their video-DSLM flagship.

Anyhoo, since my previous post I decided to take a look-see as to what future plans might be in store for the SD-format aaand it turns out that, similar to the CFexpress high-data-speed development there is also an SDexpress high-speed-data development about to unfold...

SD_EXPRESS_A_REVOLUTIONARY_INNOVATION_FOR_SD_MEMORY_CARDS.pdf:

https://www.sdcard.org/press/SD_EXPRESS_A_REVOLUTIONARY_INNOVATION_FOR_SD_MEMORY_CARDS.pdf

...promising a "985 megabytes per second (MB/s) maximum data transfer rate", just a bit more than half the 1700MB/s read and 1400MB/s write speeds of CFexpress.

I've seen no mention from Panasonic whether the dual-SD slots in the S1H are the proper PCIe and NVMe slots needed to accommodate these new cards...I guess we'll all find out soon enough.

And, I'm not sure what the data transfer rates are for internal RAW recording on the Z6...perhaps someone with this information can chime in here?! It would be nice not to be required to use an external recorder!

Anyhoo, apologies to the OP for the slight hijack here, but it's all card related. ;)

48 minutes ago, Jimmy G said:

Well, XQD 2.0 has been kicking around since 2012, so it's not exactly new...and their price-per-GB is fairly comparable to V90 SDXC. Also, dual-card recording is accommodated between the SD and XQD cards on the S1 and S1R, what was interesting and odd to me was that Panasonic dropped the faster XQD on their video-DSLM flagship.

XQD/CFExpress cards are much more robust than SD cards. I've had many a SD card physically break. Granted, all the premium ones come with pretty great warranties. That said, I prefer the XDQ build quality to that of SD cards. I think it's better to have one XQD/CFExpress slot than two SD card slots, because I feel the former is probably at least twice as reliable.