Edit Friendly format

ronaldl911

I only recently got my first DSLR. It's a Canon 600D. Still learning how to use video on it, as I'm used to something like a Sony handicam that does everything automatically.

Anyway, I got some footage, but as we all know, Canon DSLR's use H.264 video codec, which is highly compressed and therefore could make editing video a lot slower.
Any recommended formats that I should encode my footage to?

Thanks in advance!

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
Hi ronald - depends on your editor of choice.

The newest Adobe Premiere Pro will chew through your footage without transcoding and have NO trouble. 

Some people claim a slightly better performance using tools like [url=http://rarevision.com/5dtorgb/]http://rarevision.com/5dtorgb/[/url] but the improvement might not be noticeable. 

Have fun!

As Sara said, it depends on which editing app you are using and whether you are on Mac or PC.

On Mac I use Final Cut Pro 7 - in that I transcode all my footage to ProRes 422LT using FCP's own "Log and Transfer" dialog.

In Final Cut Pro X or Premiere it will transcode for you in the background.

If you are using something basic like iMovie then it will transcode to AIC (Apple Intermediate Codec).