No A7S3 for you my friend ​?​?​​​​​​​?

Amazeballs

In recent rumors on a popular site you can hear that the camera which will be announced in September is A9II. S7S2 is already 4 years old. So.. I guess that leaves some nice opportunities for Panasonic, Fuji and Blackmagic. S1H is already out and seems like will be without any competition for a while.. and GH6 is around the corner (at least lets hope so). 

Something tells me that Sony is obsessed with idea of keeping its camera body same size and weight as the rest of A7 lineup which makes producing a proper A7S3 a challenge.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
53 minutes ago, Amazeballs said:

In recent rumors on a popular site you can hear that the camera which will be announced in September is A9II. S7S2 is already 4 years old. So.. I guess that leaves some nice opportunities for Panasonic, Fuji and Blackmagic. S1H is already out and seems like will be without any competition for a while.. and GH6 is around the corner (at least lets hope so). 

Something tells me that Sony is obsessed with idea of keeping its camera body same size and weight as the rest of A7 lineup which makes producing a proper A7S3 a challenge.

I think Sony may be waiting for the latest in both the S1 Series as well as the latest news on the GH Series. 

What's more:

The next generation of XDCAM cameras from Sony are the PXW-FX9 and PXW-FX6. These will feature the next generation of sensor chipset providing much improved AF with face detection and Eye-AF.

These will also be based on the current FS5/7 design and with some features from the Sony Venice cinema camera. First out is the higher end PXW-FX9 this fall and next year a lower end PXW-FX6.

Codecs include XAVC for both cameras with XQD on the PXW-FX9 and SDXC for the PXW-FX6. Both will do 10-bit internal recording and external RAW recording. Resolution for the PXW-FX9 is almost full 6K in full frame and for the PXW-FX6 S35 sized sensor at around 5.7K. PXW-FX9 will use XAVC-I and XAVC-L codecs and PXW-FX6 will use XAVC-L only.

24 minutes ago, Mako Sports said:

Saving grace will be IBC 2019 in 2 weeks

Why do you think that? Current rumors point towards a new A9II being announced, not a A7S3. I'm with the OP, I think the A7S3 might be further down the road, if at all. Perhaps sales for the original cameras did not measure up? Or maybe Sony feels any improvement would somehow invalidate more expensive pro options for many would be users? I think it was an ominous foreshadowing when Sony skipped the A7S2 update and release a A7R4... and I don't think it was anything less than calculated.

4 minutes ago, thebrothersthre3 said:

Honestly this is great news too. Venice color, E-ND's, 10 bit internal and Sony's amazing auto focus, 6k sensor. What more can you ask?

A hybrid... or how about internal raw? Oh, thanks Red, no one else can offer that option. Yet somehow Canon does? Clearly Canon does not fear Red.

1 hour ago, DBounce said:

Why do you think that? Current rumors point towards a new A9II being announced, not a A7S3. I'm with the OP, I think the A7S3 might be further down the road, if at all. Perhaps sales for the original cameras did not measure up? Or maybe Sony feels any improvement would somehow invalidate more expensive pro options for many would be users? I think it was an ominous foreshadowing when Sony skipped the A7S2 update and release a A7R4... and I don't think it was anything less than calculated.

A hybrid... or how about internal raw? Oh, thanks Red, no one else can offer that option. Yet somehow Canon does? Clearly Canon does not fear Red.

Yeah but on the video camera side there hasn't really been much development as of late. Of course Black Magic's cameras are a great deal but this will cater to a crowd that wants auto focus. 

If they aren't crazy expensive I'll definitely consider getting one. I wish Fuji was at Sony's level in terms of auto focus. For professional use these will be perfect. 

2 minutes ago, thebrothersthre3 said:

Yeah but on the video camera side there hasn't really been much development as of late. Of course Black Magic's cameras are a great deal but this will cater to a crowd that wants auto focus. 

If they aren't crazy expensive I'll definitely consider getting one. I wish Fuji was at Sony's level in terms of auto focus. For professional use these will be perfect. 

I bet price is about $10000/$5000 for them.

4 minutes ago, ntblowz said:

I bet price is about $10000/$5000 for them.

Yeah I assume it'll be in Ursa Mini territory. 

The Ursa Mini 4.6k G2 is nice, but having amazing auto focus is a huge plus. If its FS5 size or smaller its pretty compact too, compared to the URSA. Having the ability to do small files sizes in 4k is nice too. 

Just now, thebrothersthre3 said:

Yeah I assume it'll be in Ursa Mini territory. 

The Ursa Mini 4.6k G2 is nice, but having amazing auto focus is a huge plus. If its FS5 size or smaller its pretty compact too, compared to the URSA. Having the ability to do small files sizes in 4k is nice too. 

Yeah, I like FS5 form factor, but then there is Red Komonde for similar price coming as well, good to see competition fired up!

22 minutes ago, ntblowz said:

Yeah, I like FS5 form factor, but then there is Red Komonde for similar price coming as well, good to see competition fired up!

Yeah no auto focus I assume though. You also got to kit red out more and are limited to CFAST on the Komodo(maybe?), also no E-ND's, stupid move on RED's end IMHO.

18 minutes ago, thebrothersthre3 said:

Yeah no auto focus I assume though. You also got to kit red out more and are limited to CFAST on the Komodo(maybe?), also no E-ND's, stupid move on RED's end IMHO.

That is true, but for "brand prestigious" people will always go for RED over Sony anyday.

Sony has an E mount announcement at IBC in 2 weeks, and apparently the A9ii is getting announced sometime in October.

With the last announcement being APSC what else is left?

5 hours ago, DBounce said:

9 hours ago, Amazeballs said:

I actually think the delay in the A7siii is that Sony decided to go back to the drawing board and redesign a new body especially for the A7siii. I think we all know that the existing body design is essentially a dead end for advanced video both now and in the future. Look at the S1H - it is a much larger body than the A7 and it has a great big fan.

9 hours ago, thebrothersthre3 said:

They got rid of overheating in the smaller A6 APSC cameras so it seems like they could with full frame too, even with 4k 60p. I mean the XT3 does 4k 60p in its smaller body. 

I honestly think its a money motivated move not a lack of tech. The A73 is probably still selling pretty well. 

The a6400 still overheats in 4K after 30 minutes or so. 

A7SIII was ready. It was going to suck so they waited and improved. They reported they wanted to exceed customer expectations and that 4K60P was easy. This has been reported by Sony management. Now I think they got some issue with the body design. People mentioning XT3 forget it doesn’t have IBIS and smaller sensor. 

There is no Full Frame 4K60P fan less mirrorless on the market. It means it’s not that easy. And they said multiple time for A7 line their priority is among others size and weight. The S1H is a huge brick. 

So let’s see but if we see no A7S3 by year end it sucks hard. I am still waiting on a camera like the S1H but with good AF.

The fact is that Sony has only ever offered crappy 4:2:0 8 bit 100mb codecs. 

The delay in the A7siii has everything to do with the fact that they don't want to give you anything better than that to protect their cinema line.

I would wait until after they release their updated fs7 and fs5 range before we have any hope of getting the A7siii. 

They refused to use the sensor in the xt3 for this reason. It is all segmentation bullcrap. 

One year ago @Andrew Reid made a post titled: "If high mirrorless video specs hurt pro cinema range, why does Sony do it?"

I disagreed. Back then I said they will only ever give us shit codecs and that is exactly what they have done. 

Wait for the fs7 and fs5 first and then the A7siii may come out with undoubtedly worse specs.