GH6 MONSTER Sensor Rumour by Adroidlad

sanveer

9 hours ago, Vision said:

Id say end of this year as s1h is only coming on shelfs

I don't mind waiting another 6 months for the GH6, and I hope they add the following:

1. ToF to make up for the crappy DFD in video.

2. Internal electronic ND.

3. Usable ISO upto 12800.

4. That new 8k photo mode in 10-bit in place of the 6k photo mode on the GH5.

5. A compressed RAW codec for when you need it for well paying jobs ?

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

An interesting interview overall. At 33 minutes the question about Organic Sensor is asked. And they guy frankly answers that no, we are not going to get it in any sort of consumer camera soon. So Sony again. Or maybe Samsung if we are in luck. He also explains about why GH5s didnt have IBIS - they could not fit it, only for that reason.

On 9/4/2019 at 7:04 AM, Video Hummus said:

I''m firmly in the camp of more DR, better ISO performance, built-in ND than more MP or 8K for the GH6. A derivative of the industrial STARVIS sensor above would be good in something like the G9 successor.

I mean, the GH5 was doing open gate 5K in 2017.

Just give us a global shutter sensor then remove the mechanical shutter and add a built-in ND mechanism. Include better noise performance, their next gen IBIS tech, 14-stops DR, and FULL VLOG and varicam color science to match with the S1H.

Everything you said! Except I don't care about global shutter 

2 hours ago, Amazeballs said:

[..] An interesting interview overall. At 33 minutes the question about Organic Sensor is asked. And they guy frankly answers that no, we are not going to get it in any sort of consumer camera soon. So Sony again. Or maybe Samsung if we are in luck. He also explains about why GH5s didnt have IBIS - they could not fit it, only for that reason.

Good questions indeed. What a good soul whoever asked about those two things. ?? It was interesting to get the answer that it needs double the shutter for it to work too. Yeah, and I suppose that's one of the reasons the S1H is a little chunkier as well. In the beginning I really thought it was due to shows like Top Gear and The Grand Tour that have been using GH4s throughout their productions that noticed the GH5 couldn't really be used for their applications. Still though, it would still be nice to have a locking sensor option, but apparently that ain't as easy as it sounds.

Strangely Matt said that the ToF sensor assisted autofocus (he incidentally mentions its testing on eoashd.com) isn't on Panasonic's Roadmap right now (to be fair, the distance that the present generation of ToF sensors can see till, isn't top impressive, atleast those whose details are in public domain, though there is a possibility that way better sensors are in developmental stages or being tried out on new smartphones).

4 hours ago, Amazeballs said:

Well without much more improved autofocus I am not going to switch to GH6 anyway. So they need to fix it at all cost. With tof sensor or without I dont care. Looking at Olympus EM mk2 last firmware we can clearly see that a working pdaf on m43 is perfectly possible. 

Matt (Frazer) at Panasonic almost categorically denied Panasonic will be using a ToF to improve its DfD rubbish. He stated that it apparently got mised up because they use it in their other product division (automobiles?). He also mentioned the eoshd's Blackmagic experiment with it. 

• 2 weeks later...
8 hours ago, androidlad said:

A more "mellow" 8K m43 sensor, GH5R?

IMX492.thumb.jpg.a4214349d3d4510fde76582fc508dabf.jpg

Except the fact that neither in 17:9 nor in the 4:3 aspect does the sensor do 60fps. Which means that it reads slower than the GH5 (obviously because it has double the resolution). Though it does seem to have multiple options of changing frame sizes so maybe it can have windowed 4k 60p or even windowed 4k 120p (or even higher). It also doesn't have 14-bit RAW, something which I feel could make the photo quality of M43 better, especially in the editing room.

It does seem interesting indeed, for a sensor though, and I am sure it has a lot of other tricks up its sleeve. 

I would really like some solid info on a potential GH6 as I'm at the point where I'm all in with M43 or it's L mount or another brand for me. The new M43 lenses, especially the 10-25 look great, but as it doesn't have IS I need a camera withe the GH5S' low light ability but with IBIS for the format to keep making sense for me. Without that info I could never invest 1700€ on a M43 lens. So I find myself in a kind of limbo (one which will resolved in the coming months) as I'm in a position to upgrade my gear.. but not totally sure where to go!

2 minutes ago, Thpriest said:

I would really like some solid info on a potential GH6 as I'm at the point where I'm all in with M43 or it's L mount or another brand for me. The new M43 lenses, especially the 10-25 look great, but as it doesn't have IS I need a camera withe the GH5S' low light ability but with IBIS for the format to keep making sense for me. Without that info I could never invest 1700€ on a M43 lens. So I find myself in a kind of limbo (one which will resolved in the coming months) as I'm in a position to upgrade my gear.. but not totally sure where to go!

Now is a difficult time as with S1 and S1H there aren't so many lenses and with MFT the future isn't so clear.  If you can possibly hold off then that would be the smart move..

1 minute ago, kye said:

Now is a difficult time as with S1 and S1H there aren't so many lenses and with MFT the future isn't so clear.  If you can possibly hold off then that would be the smart move..

Yeah. But sometimes (in my case dues to tax reasons and older gear not being used) the time has come! Previously I had waited for canon to produce a reasonable b cam for my C100 and it never came (the XC10 just failing due to lowlight). Switched to GH5 and have enjoyed the experience (other than file size and extreme lowlight). Need a new A cam for my GH5

Well, it’ll cost you more than $1799 to pickup a S1H and an L mount lens.

I have the 10-25 f1.7. It’s a brilliant lens. It will be even more brilliant on a future GH6.

If the GH6 has as good lowlight ability as the GH5S then it’s going to be a huge hit as long as it carries on the GH5 tradition.

I shot some video of some Elk a couple of days ago. It was dusk, approaching blue hour. I had my 50-200 f2.8-4. I was shooting at 200mm f4 at ISO 10000 and 12800 in 10bit HLG. The noise performance was more than acceptable. I lost a bit of color vitality but it was dusk so it really didn’t matter.

The 4K footage downsampled to 1080p didn’t need any noise reduction at all. If I was to keep it at 4K I would have applied noise reduction to some of the clips at 12800. The images were more than useable.

I switched out to the 10-25 for some environment shots at at f1.7 I could drop my ISO to 2500-3200 which is a piece of cake for the GH5S.

7 hours ago, Video Hummus said:

Well, it’ll cost you more than $1799 to pickup a S1H and an L mount lens.

I have the 10-25 f1.7. It’s a brilliant lens. It will be even more brilliant on a future GH6.

If the GH6 has as good lowlight ability as the GH5S then it’s going to be a huge hit as long as it carries on the GH5 tradition.

I shot some video of some Elk a couple of days ago. It was dusk, approaching blue hour. I had my 50-200 f2.8-4. I was shooting at 200mm f4 at ISO 10000 and 12800 in 10bit HLG. The noise performance was more than acceptable. I lost a bit of color vitality but it was dusk so it really didn’t matter.

The 4K footage downsampled to 1080p didn’t need any noise reduction at all. If I was to keep it at 4K I would have applied noise reduction to some of the clips at 12800. The images were more than useable.

I switched out to the 10-25 for some environment shots at at f1.7 I could drop my ISO to 2500-3200 which is a piece of cake for the GH5S.

Are both the lenses you mentioned good for accurate manual focus?

12 hours ago, Thpriest said:

Are both the lenses you mentioned good for accurate manual focus?

No, the 50-200 is harder to manually focus for me. I really wish Panasonic would add linear focus by wire support like the S1. The 10-25 has much better control with the focus clutch for whatever reason.

5 hours ago, newfoundmass said:

I don't know that the GH6 will have the low light capabilities of the GH5s, but I suspect it'll have improved low light performance like we've seen with each new GH camera. I'm guessing the low light M43 camera will be the GH6s, when that gets released. I really, really hate the segmentation game everyone is playing. 

Well Panasonic has shown it can do IBIS with dual gain sensor tech in a full frame. So, they would be smart to try for that in the GH6.

I love my GH5S. If I had an option to get GH5S with IBIS as a second camera...I'd be all over it.