GH6 MONSTER Sensor Rumour by Adroidlad

sanveer

@androidlad posted a rumour on 43rumors.com regarding a new 41MP sensor, that Sony seems to have in its latest armour of M43 sensors. If it can manage the horsepower (and algorithms) required for handling such processing of (atleast) 2 varying levels of exposure per (merged) pixel, this could create some absolutely superb 4k with much greater dynamic range than qe have presently. Plus if it could have pretty good HDR photos too, it it does something similar to what smartphones do with computational photography, by combining details and information from a successive photo burst. The sensor also, curiously, does full res at 120fps, which seems quite a lot (though maybe with DRAM, that may be a possibility).

if this is truly the sensor heading for the GH6, we may have a beast that reestablishes the GH line as the video powerhouse that the GH5 had been for the last 2-3 years, and adds even better low light and even wider dynamic range (entering full frame territory?). Plus if it could do HDR photos in 10-bit (HEIF?), it could start challenging larger sensors with much higher pixel counts. 

https://www.43rumors.com/ft2-is-this-the-new-41-megapixel-8k-sensor-for-the-panasonic-gh6/#disqus_thread

m43-sensor.jpg

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

It was on another thread, when I've asked if @androidlad had any news on m4/3 sensors, hehehehe

But low light could be a problem. The pixel size for the GH5 sensor (IMX 259) is 3.3; for the GH5s sensor (IMX 299, I guess) is 4.63 (probably considering the quad-bayer arrangement activated).

https://www.sony-semicon.co.jp/products_en/IS/sensor2/products/index.html

This new sensor is listed with a 2.32 pixel size; even with gains of the backside illuminated structure, probably will have the same low light capabilities of the GH5 (except if it could be used in a quad-bayer mode).

3 hours ago, Amazeballs said:

Well I was hoping for the infamous Organic sensor from Panasonic. I dont really care for 8k at all. I need more DR, built-in ND and perfect AF which oragnic sensor promised to provide. So I still have some hopes for it..

Actually Samsung or Sony might have an organic sensor Before Panasonic. This seems one of (arguably) many that seem to point towards an organic element/layer:

http://image-sensors-world.blogspot.com/2019/08/samsung-presents-green-selective.html?m=1

3 hours ago, Márcio Kabke Pinheiro said:

It was on another thread, when I've asked if @androidlad had any news on m4/3 sensors, hehehehe

But low light could be a problem. The pixel size for the GH5 sensor (IMX 259) is 3.3; for the GH5s sensor (IMX 299, I guess) is 4.63 (probably considering the quad-bayer arrangement activated).

https://www.sony-semicon.co.jp/products_en/IS/sensor2/products/index.html

This new sensor is listed with a 2.32 pixel size; even with gains of the backside illuminated structure, probably will have the same low light capabilities of the GH5 (except if it could be used in a quad-bayer mode).

Actually with the Quad Bayer pixel, the 3 Bayer colours could be tweaked mildly, to having varying shades of the same colour (or similar colours), having different sensitivities and thereby having the equivalent of HDR, without needing to merge 2 (or more) images, in a lower resolution image, and also not worrying about moving artefacts in multi-frane HDR. Also, for photos, if they could downres and upres simultaneously, they could have 36-41MP photos with great detail and acceptable low light. Though they would require superb Computational Photography algorithms for that. 

I''m firmly in the camp of more DR, better ISO performance, built-in ND than more MP or 8K for the GH6. A derivative of the industrial STARVIS sensor above would be good in something like the G9 successor.

I mean, the GH5 was doing open gate 5K in 2017.

Just give us a global shutter sensor then remove the mechanical shutter and add a built-in ND mechanism. Include better noise performance, their next gen IBIS tech, 14-stops DR, and FULL VLOG and varicam color science to match with the S1H.

Don't think of it for 8k, think of it for getting superb 4k. And I agree on the internal (electronic) ND. 

A lot of high end cinema cameras have fast enough read out speeds, so they don't need a global shutter sensor. Also, global shutter sensors have very low dynamic range (way less than 14 stops) , and cost apparently a lot more to manufacture. If this sensor is a Starvis Sensor, then low light should be its strong point. Plus 120fps at fill res would suggest that it does double the readout speed of the GH5, at double the resolution (though I am guessing the 120fps may actually be at the various 4k resolutions and not at 8k, more due to processing power and memory space, more than anything else). So imagine a GH5, which does 4k at 120fps, instead of at 60p, and also has more dynamic range (14 stops?) and better low light (ISO12800?). It finally has one last trick up its sleeve, it does High Resolution HDR, combining maybe double the frames that smartphones like the Pixel and S10 do (because it can do full res at 120fps), and creates an HDR image which has absolutely INSANE low light capabilities and unimaginable dynamic range (over the 16 stops, the stated figure for Samsung's 64MP sensor), and hopefully all this atleast in 10-bit.

I must reveal one more trick I though that Panasonic could employ to Beat the Competition. I thought of the ToF sensor to compensate for the crappy Panasonic DFD a few months before it was announced. Though sensor development in the ToF sensors will improve further on the coming year, because right now, the range of focus is rather limited. 

I don't know if I should reveal it, since people (infamous Patent Trolls names after colours ?) would be scrambling to patent it, and harassing everyone else with their patent. I thought of a way to completely circumvent the Bayer Pattern's Limitations (loss of detail and resolution, and loss of light). 

8 hours ago, Amazeballs said:

While we are waiting and dreaming I am solving some issuses for now by myself - bought several NDs for each lens plus rapid filter system for them. You can get the latter on Ali for 15$

Looks like a clone of the Alter's RRF: https://www.alterrfs.com/

This one looks like that don't have the magnets that helps to seal to avoid light leaks. It works ok? (very interested on this, I use the Manfrotto's Xume magnetic filters but them are very fragile - the magnets of one of them umglued after 2 weeks use)

Since reading about Sony's Starvis sensors a few years back I've been hopeful that their low-light, wide-DR performance would find its way into prosumer-level stills/video cameras...

STARVIS Image Sensor for Security & Surveillance | Sony Semiconductor Solutions Corporation:

https://www.sony-semicon.co.jp/products_en/IS/sensor0/security/technology/starvis.html

...I hope the rumor is true! ;)

24 minutes ago, Márcio Kabke Pinheiro said:

Looks like a clone of the Alter's RRF: https://www.alterrfs.com/

This one looks like that don't have the magnets that helps to seal to avoid light leaks. It works ok? (very interested on this, I use the Manfrotto's Xume magnetic filters but them are very fragile - the magnets of one of them umglued after 2 weeks use)

I have not received mine yet but judging from their description on ali it says that it is light leak free. Will give you some feedback as soon as mine arrives .

No magnets in this clone version but maybe it still works with some other mechanics.