Antidote to GASsiness - Mark Jenkin on His Hand-Processed 16mm Bait

User

A few years ago or so, someone here mentioned something about how some knucklehead types just throw money at gear as a way to muscle their way in... and I often see post go up on crew websites from producers requesting DPs that must have a Red to get the gig while saying nothing of how they can light etc.

Anyway, this up today and worth a read for the perspective:

Jenkin: I made a 45-minute film a few years ago called Bronco’s House, which was processed in a developer made of instant coffee, vitamin C powder, washing soda crystals and a little pinch of potassium bromide to keep the grain down. You can make developers from anything, really, as long as you’ve got an alkali base and an active acidic ingredient. I quite like that side of things. I like experimenting with how you can create pictures.

https://filmmakermagazine.com/108148-with-digital-you-have-to-spend-a-lot-of-money-before-it-becomes-free-mark-jenkin-on-his-hand-processed-16mm-bait/?fbclid=IwAR2tzdi_7xggt6PKoF1XJZDiWH1VYQoeaut0w9L97JwhtA4f-qLGlTgv0ko#.XWqjp5NKjOR

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
59 minutes ago, User said:

... and I often see post go up on crew websites from producers requesting DPs that must have a Red to get the gig while saying nothing of how they can light etc.

Yep.  That's been going on for years -- even before Red existed.  One can safely assume that the above-the-line folks are clueless and cheap, when, at the outset, they stipulate that a DP must own a certain brand of camera.

One exception to this assumption is that they might be trying to match previous footage.  However, in that case, they are just cheap and one wonders what happened to the original DP.

1 hour ago, User said:

Anyway, this up today and worth a read for the perspective:

Jenkin: I made a 45-minute film a few years ago called Bronco’s House, which was processed in a developer made of instant coffee, vitamin C powder, washing soda crystals and a little pinch of potassium bromide to keep the grain down. You can make developers from anything, really, as long as you’ve got an alkali base and an active acidic ingredient. I quite like that side of things. I like experimenting with how you can create pictures.

https://filmmakermagazine.com/108148-with-digital-you-have-to-spend-a-lot-of-money-before-it-becomes-free-mark-jenkin-on-his-hand-processed-16mm-bait/?fbclid=IwAR2tzdi_7xggt6PKoF1XJZDiWH1VYQoeaut0w9L97JwhtA4f-qLGlTgv0ko#.XWqjp5NKjOR

The trailer (thanks, @PannySVHS!) is reminiscent of the inexpensively made, slipshod "Now" films of the mid/late 1960s.  Very cool!

Not sure why he didn't just an use an off-the-shelf developer, stop bath and fixer.

3 minutes ago, tupp said:

Not sure why he didn't just an use an off-the-shelf developer, stop bath and fixer.

- Maybe he decided to process the material at a Brian Jonestown Massacre show and just used the things he saw laying around on the ground.

12 minutes ago, User said:

- Maybe he decided to process the material at a Brian Jonestown Massacre show and just used the things he saw laying around on the ground.

I don't get the reference, but "Brian Jonestown Massacre" is an interesting pun on two tragedies.

14 minutes ago, tupp said:

I don't get the reference, but "Brian Jonestown Massacre" is an interesting pun on two tragedies.

No worries, I only meant it as comic relief. And that one could easily find a pinch of potassium bromide at a BJM show ;)
Anyway... he obviously developed the film with those material... because he could. And for the hordes who are looking to take the edge off their high count sensor, this makes light of just how 'organic' this process can be... if one wants it.

1 hour ago, tupp said:

The trailer (thanks, @PannySVHS!) is reminiscent of the inexpensively made, slipshod "Now" films of the mid/late 1960s.  Very cool!

What films are these "Now" films? Slipshot - pulp? I imagine, the film is rather neat. Would love to do a fun 45min film with heart and visual and narrative pleasure like that some day!

Why the filmmaker used the stuff he was using- I think for the great pleasure in doing so. I think the interview is quiet beautiful. Have you read it? ;)

15 hours ago, tupp said:

There's a segment of the film world that love exploring alternative processes and chemicals, trying new looks and generally just geeking out about various things.

Luckily we have a bunch of things that are meaningless to most people that we all argue passionately about and are saved from having to develop film with coffee to add interest to our days....

I'm pretty sure I read about an photography project about coffee that was also developed with coffee.  I can't find it again, but conceptual art is fun sometimes :) 

9 hours ago, kye said:

Luckily we have a bunch of things that are meaningless to most people that we all argue passionately about and are saved from having to develop film with coffee to add interest to our days....

But can you imagine... a collective where we could bare knuckle brawl it out while sipping spent developer coffee from the ringside?
The first rule of FilmClub is that there is no rules.

giphy (1).gif