wide angle lens for my gx80

jake

Hi all,

I'm looking for a lens to record musicians in nature. The musicians will generally be around 10 feet from the camera. But I really want a wide lens that captures the land scape in the background in focus as well. So hopefully the artist and the surroundings are all in focus as much as possible. I don't need AF as the camera will be stationary generally. But saying that, it would be nice, haha. Ok, many thanks for your suggestions. budget: hopefully under £200 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
5 hours ago, Rinad Amir said:

Hey have look at Lumix G 20mm f/1.7 II ASPH good middle ground wide angle lens fits perfect your budget too ? 

and as bonus its fast 1.7 aperture so upclose to you get nice bokah bokeH?

hey thanks man, but if I’m not mistaken, the bokeh is what I don’t want. I want it all in focus. 

On 8/31/2019 at 12:56 AM, jake said:

hey thanks man, but if I’m not mistaken, the bokeh is what I don’t want. I want it all in focus. 

Bokeh is what majority of cinema folks crave but if u dont want it just stopdown on aperture say from f/1.7 to f/5.6 and everything will be tacksharp? ( in focus )

On 8/30/2019 at 7:36 PM, jake said:

I’m very grateful for the responses. Thankyou. But can you be more specific? You have suggested a lens without explaining how they relate to my needs as I specified. I can’t understand your choice without this. 

What do you mean more specific? These are all wide angle lenses that would do what you requested, most in the price range you gave. 

1 hour ago, Rinad Amir said:

Bokeh is what majority of cinema folks crave but if u dont want it just stopdown on aperture say from f/1.7 to f/5.6 and everything will be tacksharp? ( in focus )

.....and the slower the lens and the wider it is, the deeper the depth of field will be anyway.

Good luck trying to get background blur on the 8mm SLR Magic - even wide open at f4 it's almost the same DoF as the fixed focus of an action camera!  (Not quite, but at f16 it sure is!)

On 8/30/2019 at 7:36 PM, jake said:

I’m very grateful for the responses. Thankyou. But can you be more specific? You have suggested a lens without explaining how they relate to my needs as I specified. I can’t understand your choice without this. 

If your subject is a distance from the camera, wide angle lenses are deep focus anyway. Even so, if the DOF is somehow too shallow for you, stop down.

19 minutes ago, Adam Kuźniar said:

Go Laowa 7.5mm f/2 or go home

You can get substantial amount of bokeh on Laowa ?

I agree.  It's the only lens still on my wishlist!!

Not because it has great bokeh, but because it works in lower light situations (more of blue hour and into the night with city lights and cityscapes).  Generally if I'm shooting wide I'm doing it because I want a grand scene, not as a vlog or anything.  I do film myself, but more as B-roll and I've found an action camera is better for those shots as they're about me in the place rather than putting the focus on only me.  Plus it's easier to hold up an action camera than a GH5 and big MF lens (it's also way less embarrassing too!)

This are the shots I'm interested in:

India-1_1_29.1.thumb.jpg.f937b566efa6cb577d01b564d8868eb7.jpgIndia-2_1_33.1.thumb.jpg.8fc3674595d7ec5c090a60e03a2985a5.jpgJapan1_1_24.1.thumb.jpg.76f570972289a7753248fc26c5f061c9.jpgJapan3_1_69.1.thumb.jpg.a3beaba34a1bb904d900ebd99e1dca7f.jpg

@jake all the above are the 8mm SLR Magic.

Probably ANY lens that you can find will be OK as long as it is wide enough for what you want and the light is enough for the camera to not go to too high an ISO.     This was with 1.5x APSC and was a 17mm lens so about 25mm FF equivalent and about 10 feet from the nearest musicians I think.     I guess it also depends on are you shooting full bands or solo artists?

DSC01184.jpg

On 8/31/2019 at 12:36 AM, jake said:

What lenses do you already own?

It sounds like this is daytime use, so I guess low-light isn't really an issue (and you want in-focus background, so you don't need a large aperture lens)?

The standard Panasonic 'kit' zooms (the 12-32mm 'pancake', the 12-60mm and various 14-42mm versions) are all fairly 'wide-angle' capable - these are cheap to buy used as they are very common.

If 12 mm isn't wide enough then you are getting into more serious wide-angle lenses - some possibilities have already been mentioned. Even then, 7-8 mm as about as wide as you can go without it becoming a high distortion 'fish-eye' lens.

18 hours ago, Amazeballs said:

Tokina 11-20 2.8 which becomes 7.5-14 2.0 with a booster. Thinking of getting it myself instead of laowa. If laowa was in 300$ price range I would probably get it. For under 200£ there arent many options. Probably used adapted stuff mostly. 

I had the Laowa and I now have the Tokina - Laowa is definitely sharper, it's also way smaller and lighter and I prefer the focusing ring on it. Also the filter thread is smaller so NDs are cheaper :) 

But Tokina can zoom in and for someone who only carries one lens when vlogging I really like having the ability to get a closeup. 

Still, often I'm thinking about going back