GH2 video mode v manual mode

mckenzgd

Guys just got my gh2 "hacked" and all.

Problem: when I record in movie mode the image is jittery, I have to move the camera really slowly so you dont see the jitter "now rolling shutter". Now when I press record in Manuel mode this jitter goes away but in manuel mode when you change the iso/shutter speed/f-stop this does not change the setting in the recording or on the display!!! Am I doing something obviously wrong ?  looks ugly and I would get it on my 5d ?? tips must be something obvious. I using vanilla, High bit rate, 1080i, iso 250, fstop 50 + plus

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
Guys problem isn't fixed

[url=http://youtu.be/KY1OVEo6HHo]http://youtu.be/KY1OVEo6HHo[/url] shot in manul mode, iso160, f5.6 shutter speed 50, HBR 1080i 25.

[url=http://youtu.be/v1DLYpif3R8]http://youtu.be/v1DLYpif3R8[/url]  shot in manuel movie mode, iso160, f5.6 shutter speed 50, HBR 1080i 25.

At you can see the second video is jerky ? when you shot in manual mode it does adjust the setting on the display its only apparent when you take a photo.

Any ideas why the the footage is jerky in  movie mode ?

Does anybody understand the problem?

Okay, right now I am equipped only with the german manual, and I won't go up to the attic to search for the english one. So maybe [u]I[/u] confuse the terms, but right now it seems to me, [i]you[/i] confuse them.

You linked two sets of clips, one with more judder, that looks as if caused by a slightly too short exposure time, aka shutter speed. But you assure us that both are taken with 1/50.

What I don't get in the first place, is the difference between [i]movie mode[/i] and [i]manual mode[/i].

On the mode dial on top of the camera, there is a mode with "M" and a movie camera icon, called the [i]Creative Motion Picture Mode[/i]. With this mode selected, you have - with FW 1.1 - four options, the first one beeing [i]Manual Movie Mode[/i]. What kind of format you record when you chose this, is displayed in the display and chosen by you in the Menu under [i]Video[/i], the icon [u]below[/u] the [i]Creative Motion Picture[/i]. Once you have selected [i]Manual Movie Mode[/i] above, the Qualitiy Settings below exclude [i]HBR[/i], [i]24H[/i] and [i]Variable[/i] completely. I recommend, you better use the [i]Manual Movie Mode[/i] to chose 720p 50/60 (*SH*) and save this setting as "C3" or something (in order to switch between framerates with the Custom Modes, i.e. *24H* on C1 and *HBR* - in case you live in a Pal country - on C2).

Now: Only in [i]Creative Motion Picture Mode[/i] - and in any of C1-C3, if you assign them as that - can you record HBR, and [i]if[/i] you do, it is not 1080i, but 1080p. If you have dialed, say, "M" and press the red button, you will get FSH by default, which is 1080 25 or 30[u]i[/u] and usually limited to 17 Mbit/s (lower most of the time).

Your clips certainly look progressive, but that the "movie mode" (as [i]you[/i] call it) is brighter could mean a lower framerate with the same shutter speed. Or whatever. How are we to know?

I can't tell, if 1080 25i or 30i need a different shutter than the progressive formats. Just because I never use them. The times for interlaced formats were in the late 20th century, and even back then people hated the artifacts, no?