NOPE! Canon did NOT remove 24p from the 90D and EOS M6 II to save H.264 licensing fees

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
5 hours ago, EthanAlexander said:

Getting popcorn ready to watch how @Mokara fumbles his way through this news

So they are spending money to implement it now instead of saving it? Nothing has changed.

How sure are you that it is not just 25p with a dropped frame? The original Canon consumer HD cameras did stuff like that, they shot everything as 60i internally, then converted that to 30p or 24p through processing during encoding. Only 60i was actually native, the other modes were fake even though the cameras could record in them. It was only after the HF-S10 that native 30p/24p was implemented. I have a HF-S10, it pissed me off mightily when I found out about it at the time. If they are going to do it with firmware on these cameras and the hardware is not there, then it would have to be fake 24p.

1 hour ago, Mokara said:

How sure are you that it is not just 25p with a dropped frame? The original Canon consumer HD cameras did stuff like that, they shot everything as 60i internally, then converted that to 30p or 24p through processing during encoding. Only 60i was actually native, the other modes were fake even though the cameras could record in them. It was only after the HF-S10 that native 30p/24p was implemented. I have a HF-S10, it pissed me off mightily when I found out about it at the time. If they are going to do it with firmware on these cameras and the hardware is not there, then it would have to be fake 24p.

Actually, if you're going to make claims like that, the onus falls on you to prove that's how Canon are doing it. Otherwise, the default assumption should be that they're running the sensor at 60Hz and using pull-down to get 24p (or technically 23.976p), because that's how damn near every video-capable ILC has gotten 24p in the past.

22 hours ago, David Bowgett said:

Actually, if you're going to make claims like that, the onus falls on you to prove that's how Canon are doing it. Otherwise, the default assumption should be that they're running the sensor at 60Hz and using pull-down to get 24p (or technically 23.976p), because that's how damn near every video-capable ILC has gotten 24p in the past.

Sigh....please do your research. I own the camera, I know what it does.

Here it is, from CANON THEMSELVES ....https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/portal/us/home/products/details/camcorders/support-flash-memory-camcorders/vixia-hf-s10

24p is recorded at 60i according to them, as is 30p. The only native recording mode on that camera is 60i, everything else is fake mode. Later models did have native 24p and 30p (I think the ones from the following year introduced that feature iirc), but the HF S10/100 did not.

• 1 month later...

What's the catch? Peter Gregg (YouTube) has discovered the camera does 24p internally, just fine. However, it does not offer 24p externally. You can choose 24p (1080p or 4K) but the camera will output 30p without even warning you! 

This could be an oversight on Canon's part when updating their firmware, a bug or a deliberate choice. Who knows? 

6 hours ago, Cooloox said:

What's the catch? Peter Gregg (YouTube) has discovered the camera does 24p internally, just fine. However, it does not offer 24p externally. You can choose 24p (1080p or 4K) but the camera will output 30p without even warning you! 

This could be an oversight on Canon's part when updating their firmware, a bug or a deliberate choice. Who knows? 

Obviously deliberate

On 10/10/2019 at 6:31 PM, Snowbro said:

You're like my ex GF, cant admit when you were wrong & will fight to the death over it

Maybe you are the one like your ex GF. Believing that Canon would remove a function from a base consumer model so that people would buy high end extremely expensive professional models instead is ridiculous. Yet that is the theory being pushed as the most likely explanation, instead of the more obvious one of cost cutting on a low margin product. But hey, if common sense is not your thing, more power to you. No doubt your ex found that just as frustrating as I do.