short scene with Iscorama 36 + Blackmagic Pocket

elubes

wanted to share a short narrative scene i made with iscorama 36, tokina diopter, blackmagic pocket camera, and voigtlander 25mm f0.95. 

https://vimeo.com/78510126

it's the rebadged 36, not the 1968, so i noticed the flares off the taxi's brake light was pretty subdued.  the voigtlander probably subdued it more.  and it was a weak brake light anyway.  and on top of that probably doesn't work to have flares in this particular scene anyway.

for some reason the bokeh i was getting on the CU's with the diopter honestly looked a little spherical to me.  any thoughts on that?

any other critique that could probably help me shoot better anamorphic?

thanks

erik

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Don't agree about stabilisation, I think it's fine for handheld and has that POV feel that is popular with TV dramas of the past 5-10 years. Most important thing is your handheld work didn't introduce jitters which destroy the image due to rolling shutter.

Regarding flares, yes it's controlled. I quite like it though as I think it's a better all round lens for it. In terms of leaping off the screen as an anamorphic image, remember you're shooting with a 1.5x on a smaller sensor so it will struggle. What aperture were you shooting at by the way?

Really nice look, I'd be happy with what you've got and go out and do some more :)

Really nice work, well shot and well put together. I also think the hand held worked quite well, it added a bit of tension to the scene for me.
I think the flaring was enough, anything more would have been distracting IMO. The "anamorphic look" isn't crazy pronounced and I agree it is probably due to the smaller sensor and 1.5 crop lens. That said I think it has a really nice feel and tone about it. In a scene like this the cinematographer should draw you into the story and ingauge with the dialogue,I feel you did a pretty good job of that.
Good work, keep sharing.

cool

thanks everyone, much appreciated, i haven't posted much work up here so really good to hear the feedback/tips.  i knew sensor size had an effect on bokeh size, but not on shape. 

the tightest closeups i used the one tokina, on the medium shot was just the close focus mod.  i'm pretty sure i shot at 2.0, bc the voigtlander is really soft wide open.  i might've cheated to 1.4.

julian - here's the pic of the rig

[attachment=715:bmpc isco36rig.JPG]

it's rehoused.  i sent it to van diemen in april and just got it back.  even though the turnaround time was a bit dramatic, i think they did a good job.  the only problem with it is that i wish the front element didn't rotate cause there isn't an elegant way to put a mattebox on this thing, since the focus throw telescopes the lens enough that you either hit your filters or pull out of your donut.  but hey you gotta deal with what nature gave you you know?

so i talked to one of my DP friends yesterday about this whole anamorphic/bokeh thing. 

i notice that when I shoot with my 5d mark iii, i get a lot more cylindrical distortion in the background.   Something like this:

[attachment=716:distortion.jpg]

you'll notice in the upper right corner and the left side on the grass there's this kind of smearing.  which I really like and think is dreamy.

i don't get that kind of smearing on the pocket camera.  my DP friend said it was mainly because the 5iii sensor uses the whole lens element and that will always get more distortion.  that's why i'm getting that.  whereas the pocket camera crops even the m4/3 lenses that i'm using.

is this what you guys meant mainly by the sensor size having an effect on the bokeh?

thanks

I think they talk about small sensors need wider apertures to get shallower depth of field. To get the same image as a 50mm f2 lens on full frame you will need 24 f0.95 on a micro four thrids. But since the pocket has an even smaller you would need an 16.66mm f 0.66 to get the same bokeh, but anyway I think your images look superb, if you want more bokeh you can always get a speed booster.

Just wanted to say really nicely executed all round. I was expecting another 'dude waving his iphone light at the iscorama' test  :P

You will have trouble getting pronounced bokeh with this setup as others have mentioned, speedbooster would help for sure but it looks superb already. Well done.

so i talked to one of my DP friends yesterday about this whole anamorphic/bokeh thing. 

i notice that when I shoot with my 5d mark iii, i get a lot more cylindrical distortion in the background.   Something like this:

attachicon.gifdistortion.jpg

you'll notice in the upper right corner and the left side on the grass there's this kind of smearing.  which I really like and think is dreamy.

i don't get that kind of smearing on the pocket camera.  my DP friend said it was mainly because the 5iii sensor uses the whole lens element and that will always get more distortion.  that's why i'm getting that.  whereas the pocket camera crops even the m4/3 lenses that i'm using.

is this what you guys meant mainly by the sensor size having an effect on the bokeh?

thanks

Yes, this is exactly the case. A smaller sensor won't really have an effect on how 'oval' the bokeh shape is, but if you use lenses designed for bigger sensors you are just cropping the middle part. Bokeh gets distorted near the corners of a lens (as an effect of that, the ovals might look more pronounced). The solution would be to find some glass that is made for the sensor size. For the Pocket you should be looking into C-mount lenses / Super 16mm glass.

paulio

i think the bmpcc is an amazing bang for your buck.  i guess not to belabor the reviews that are out there about poor battery life and stuff, as far as anamorphic goes, couple things i noted:

-lightness/form factor doesn't really make that much of a difference with an iscorama/bell howell weighted lens.  you're better off supporting with rails and lens support with this thing even if your taking lens are metal-housed.  maybe i'm paranoid, but feel like it could torque open the m43 mount off.  i don't trust plastic zooms or even plastic primes in general with this.

-focus peaking is really great with this blackmagic.  i pulled focus off the poor lcd of the pocket cam with the squeezed image.  on the 5diii with ML i for some reason have a hard time trusting the peaking even with a magnified viewfinder because it feels a little more chaotic.  maybe i haven't really figured out the threshold stuff, but just a general feeling.

-the anamorphic 1.5x and up are great for countering the ridiculous crop sensor.  not by much, but enough for the main narrative focal lengths i'm comfortable with. 

-i tried a 17.5 voigtlander with this and unfortunately it was vignetting for me.  also the front lens element of that 17.5 was touching the back element of the iscorama.  i find myself needing to get a filter or two and punching out the glass and placing between the two, so the lens elements don't scratch each other.  this lens combo i may do and scale up to 2.35 ratio...if it works.

-my favorite lens taking lens by far is the 58mm helios, but i almost feel like i can forget that on this bmpcc bc it turns out to be what, almost at 180mm.  anyone know of an equivalent with super 16?

hope that helps.

-audio: i used a wireless g3 into camera.  guesstimated the levels.

wanted to share a short narrative scene i made with iscorama 36, tokina diopter, blackmagic pocket camera, and voigtlander 25mm f0.95. 

it's the rebadged 36, not the 1968, so i noticed the flares off the taxi's brake light was pretty subdued.  the voigtlander probably subdued it more.  and it was a weak brake light anyway.  and on top of that probably doesn't work to have flares in this particular scene anyway.

for some reason the bokeh i was getting on the CU's with the diopter honestly looked a little spherical to me.  any thoughts on that?

any other critique that could probably help me shoot better anamorphic?

thanks

erik

This was a great test, the hand-held is fitting I wouldn't have done it different.

I agree the flares are weak, what do you mean by rebadged 36? I know there is 36, and pre-36, and the pre-36 is single-coated so flares better. Just wondering what is "rebadged?

Just wanted to say really nicely executed all round. I was expecting another 'dude waving his iphone light at the iscorama' test  :P

Amen to that.

I always wonder how much does the rehousing cost. Would you mind telling the number? :)

http://vandiemenbroadcast.co.uk/Van-Diemen-Cine-Iscorama-conversion