Most versatile anamorphic focal (Atlas Orion)

Lorian

Hi everyone!

Im looking for some experiences with anamorphic focal lenghts. At this time I'm looking into the Atlas Orion series for a documentary project that I will start shooting next year. The problem is that this project it's a solo project. I will be shooting 2-3 days a month for maybe 8 to 12 months with the BMPCC 6K, and I "need" the anamorphic look. I have the budget to buy just one lens (rent it's not an option, and I'll probably gonna buy the rest of the set later) and I'm looking for the most versatile one. For now my favorite its the 40mm because its wide enough for general and portrait shots, but maybe someone has a better idea or better input on the other lenses?

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

65mm won't be wide enough for typical establishing shots. However I've always found 75mm to be the sweet spot for anamorphic. I see myself using it 75% of the time on my shootings. 65 mm isn't that far from that focal length. 

But if I had to get only one lens, it would be a 50mm. You could shot a whole movie with that one focal length 

What kind of control will you have over shooting locations, and specifically, how far you can position the camera from the talent?

If you've got flexibility then that's great, but if you're shooting things in limited space then you don't want a lens that's too tight as you won't be able to back the camera up enough to frame shots the way you want to.  Just a practical consideration. 

1 hour ago, kye said:

What kind of control will you have over shooting locations, and specifically, how far you can position the camera from the talent?

If you've got flexibility then that's great, but if you're shooting things in limited space then you don't want a lens that's too tight as you won't be able to back the camera up enough to frame shots the way you want to.  Just a practical consideration. 

I'll be shooting a lot of interviews on tight spaces, but most of the content its outside (streets, hills, mountains), that's why my options are the 40mm or the 50mm, but for now I can't find any test to see the real difference on any practical situation. I've seen some close ups and portraits with the 40mm and for me they look really good, but I need to see some shots with the 50mm to compare :(

1 hour ago, Lorian said:

I'll be shooting a lot of interviews on tight spaces, but most of the content its outside (streets, hills, mountains), that's why my options are the 40mm or the 50mm, but for now I can't find any test to see the real difference on any practical situation. I've seen some close ups and portraits with the 40mm and for me they look really good, but I need to see some shots with the 50mm to compare :(

That video seems like a good test.

The guy in the video says that the FOV is equivalent to a spherical lens half the focal length, so I would imagine either the 40mm or 50mm would be quite practical.

I think I agree - the 40mm had a really nice flare, with the 50mm looking a bit flatter.  Of course, the exact angle of the torch and placement in the frame will probably have some impact there too though.

Nice lenses though!

From these tests it looks like the bokeh from the 65mm is a bit smoother, seems to have a little more contrast and the color is a bit warmer. But the 50mm overal looks a bit sharper.

Hmm maybe the 65mm is still the one I should get, as I think it will be better for close ups. I shoot more close ups then wide shots. I guess plugging a extender between a atlas orion anamorphic and the camera does not work right? (as one would do with tele spherical lenses for example?)