Raw goes mainstream - Adobe Premiere CC native Cinema DNG support tried and tested!

Andrew Reid

• Administrators
Cinema DNG raw video editing in Premiere CC first look

Adobe have the best debayer for raw around. I still convert my 5D Mark III and Blackmagic Cinema Camera raw files from DNG to an editable format in Adobe After Effects because the end result looks better than DaVinci Resolve.

Well as of today Cinema DNG raw video is an editable format, directly in Premiere - dramatically speeding up the workflow for video shot with Magic Lantern on Canon DSLRs and the Blackmagic cameras.

[url=http://www.eoshd.com/content/11441/raw-goes-mainstream-adobe-premiere-cc-native-cinema-dng-support-tried-tested]Read the full article here[/url]

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • Administrators

I tried it out today as well. Have you figured out a way to make color adjustments in Premiere, like the Photoshop Raw editor, or After Effects Raw editor?

No. They need to put the ACR controls in there to make it truly useful.

We need to change that raw metadata within Premiere.

Until now it will rely on third party plugins or grading tools designed for non-raw codecs.

It seems like a really half-hearted first effort to me, but great they have made a start.

I'm not really surprised that this is a half assed attempt by Adobe. With this subscription thing they have going on, we can expect new features to come trickling very slowly, so it seams like they are always improving and the monthly payments are worth it.

• Administrators

Adobe have been pretty good at updates since CC actually, and Cinema DNG is a bonus. It doesn't seem like it has been a huge priority but I am surprised it is there at all. If they continue to improve support and functionality like they should do, it will end up very well.

Until then, check out Resolve 10 beta 3. The debayer for DNG in there is supposed to have been greatly improved since version 9.

http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/support/detail?sid=3948&pid=4446&leg=false&os=mac

Does it work in the same way Red footage does: right click the clip in the bin, choose Source Settings and then the raw settings appear?

I've tried some DNGs and it crashes Premiere instantly whenever I touch them, running latest version :S

No that doesn't work. However I figured out a pretty simple method.

1.Import your DNG sequences to Premiere.

2.Edit the native DNG's in Premiere.(Runs very smooth on my computer.)

3.After you finish editing 'right click' individual clips and 'replace with After Effects Composition.'

4. After Effects opens up and you can edit the Raw clip with the ACR controls.

5. Go back to Premiere and your clip is graded.

That video really looks too sharp to me. Like camcorder sharpness... but that's up to the sharpening settings in Resolve I suppose. Curious to try the Resolve 10 beta though, Canon DNG in Resolve 9 wasn't very good. DNG support in Premiere sounds nice, but after reading this I can't think of any good reason to use it.

That video really looks too sharp to me. Like camcorder sharpness... but that's up to the sharpening settings in Resolve I suppose. Curious to try the Resolve 10 beta though, Canon DNG in Resolve 9 wasn't very good. DNG support in Premiere sounds nice, but after reading this I can't think of any good reason to use it.

I dunno, those images look pretty darn amazing. Movement still looks weird though.

No that doesn't work. However I figured out a pretty simple method.

1.Import your DNG sequences to Premiere.

2.Edit the native DNG's in Premiere.(Runs very smooth on my computer.)

3.After you finish editing 'right click' individual clips and 'replace with After Effects Composition.'

4. After Effects opens up and you can edit the Raw clip with the ACR controls.

5. Go back to Premiere and your clip is graded.

Tried this and it only imports the one .dng image, is there a setting I can adjust to fix this?

"Adobe have the best debayer for raw around. I still convert my 5D Mark III and Blackmagic Cinema Camera raw files from DNG to an editable format in Adobe After Effects because the end result looks better than DaVinci Resolve." - Andrew Reid.

Hi Andrew, I'm about to start working with RAW since the 7Q recorder (I believe it's Cinema DNG) is finally out for the FS700. I know nothing about working with RAW. In your statement above, are you just using basic After Effects to convert your DNG to an editable format?

My questions are

1) What editable format are you converting to? Pro-Res possibly?

2) Are you using a Plug-In within After Effects to convert the RAW? If so, is there a Batch convert option which is pretty important. For my experience, After Effects is generally a 1 clip (non-batch) type of deal which would obviously be a pain for lots of clips.

Thanks for any info.

• Administrators

I import each clip, save a grade as a preset and apply it in the Adobe Camera Raw window.

In After Effects I drag the clips to the render queue. That's your batch process.

Then I have a preset for ProRes 4444 which is applied by default in the project to all the clips in the render queue.

Then I go and have a cup of tea :)