Sony a6100 and a6600 Announcement

androidlad

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

If the a6100 was around the price of my g7 it would be really nice even without s-log (my g7 has no log but is still awesome.). The actual price is pathetic. Sony is doing the same thing canon did in 2011 when they recycled the 7d sensor for 4 years in a row. 

13 hours ago, JurijTurnsek said:

https://www.sonyalpharumors.com/sr5-leaked-images-and-specs-of-thenew-sony-a6100-and-a6600-and-lenses/

So little difference between a6100, a6400 and a6600. But at least there is a 16-55mm f2.8 now!

The 16-55 lens, while a welcome offering, is a G-Master series lens, so is likely to be expensive. They're also bringing out a new 70-350 G-Master lens as well and this will be a good thing for anyone who has wanted a lens with that range without having to buy an adapter to use it.

Since Canon screwed the pooch on the new EOS M6 Mark II, I may well be taking a serious look at getting either the a6400 or a6600 and saying 'sayonara' to Canon for good.

44 minutes ago, PolarStarArts said:

The 16-55 lens, while a welcome offering, is a G-Master series lens, so is likely to be expensive. They're also bringing out a new 70-350 G-Master lens as well and this will be a good thing for anyone who has wanted a lens with that range without having to buy an adapter to use it.

Since Canon screwed the pooch on the new EOS M6 Mark II, I may well be taking a serious look at getting either the a6400 or a6600 and saying 'sayonara' to Canon for good.

It is not a G-master lens, those carry the GM designation. G series is a step down from there, it is their "mid-range" lens series.

1 hour ago, newfoundmass said:

They should've removed 24p.

What would be the point of that? Sony uses older tech packages in their cameras, replacing individual components incrementally with each update. Otherwise the cameras use the same parts as earlier models. That is their business plan, why they can update their products so frequently. Removing 24p from the existing package would have required additional work and added to the cost.

12 hours ago, Oliver Daniel said:

Sony's AF is awesome for frequent gimbal users or Vloggers but the update on video features is making me fall asleep. Seems it's all being saved for the overdue A7S III. 

There won't be any significant update in video until they replace the CXD4236 ISP module in the SoC. Clearly that has not happened as of yet if the latest cameras are anything to go by.

I would guess that might happen with the a7SIII, it could explain the delay for that camera, otherwise there is not a lot of reason to make it. They could still do the incremental update to bring the sensor up to current standards with respect to the sensor/LSI/processor though, but I suspect that would not generate a lot of enthusiasm.

A lazy update from Sony. I am sure the reality is that Sony wants to push everyone to FF - so, as in Gordon's video - he says you are better off with an A7iii and Tamron 2.8 zoom. As such they probably give the job of a refresh to the mail room to do in their lunch break.

I guess the 16-55 2.8 zoom might keep the vloggers happy - which Sony likes to do as they appear to be the main marketing arm of their camera division.

1 hour ago, Robert Collins said:

A lazy update from Sony. I am sure the reality is that Sony wants to push everyone to FF - so, as in Gordon's video - he says you are better off with an A7iii and Tamron 2.8 zoom. As such they probably give the job of a refresh to the mail room to do in their lunch break.

I guess the 16-55 2.8 zoom might keep the vloggers happy - which Sony likes to do as they appear to be the main marketing arm of their camera division.

the new 2.8 zoom doesn't have OSS, which is a big miss imo

20 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

Sony = new Canon.

wait to see the A7S3 before saying that. Sony left aside APSC to concentrate on A7 line. There is no equivalent to the A7R4 on the market at this price in term of sensor and AF. Canon has been crippling FF as well as APSC.

If the A7S3 is as bad as this A6600 then I would agree with you. But I doubt much it will. 

One thing is for sure this A6600 is very bad. And at that price a good joke. 

21 hours ago, Amazeballs said:

Really shitty updates from Sony. Feels like they didnt want to put any effort and R&D money into it but they wanted to keep their piece of the pie buy introducing small incrimental upgrades.

Which makes them no better than Canon are, with their penchant for incrementalism and never giving their customers what they really want.

• Administrators
1 hour ago, wolf33d said:

wait to see the A7S3 before saying that. Sony left aside APSC to concentrate on A7 line. There is no equivalent to the A7R4 on the market at this price in term of sensor and AF. Canon has been crippling FF as well as APSC.

If the A7S3 is as bad as this A6600 then I would agree with you. But I doubt much it will. 

One thing is for sure this A6600 is very bad. And at that price a good joke. 

What was to stop Sony using their own Fuji X-T3 sensor in the A6600 and at least make it compete?

Or was the sensor a Samsung part after all?

Is Sony really telling APS-C users in 2019 that they don't quite have the technology to do 4K/60p or reduced rolling shutter on a crop sensor? No 10bit?

Honestly buying a 2016 cam in 2019 just seems a bit of a waste of time.

7 minutes ago, Andrew Reid said:

What was to stop Sony using their own Fuji X-T3 sensor in the A6600 and at least make it compete?

I guess the A6300, A6400 and especially the A6500 didn't sell as well as they hoped and still had a warehouse full full of those sensors. 
The A6600 is the recycling bin. The price that thing is sold for in Europe, is actually hilariously high. 

I don't understand why everyone is rushing to call Sony the new Canon less than a year and a half after the A7III. Is Sony supposed to blow our minds with every new release for the rest of eternity?

Nobody is forcing anybody to upgrade... The amount of energy spent complaining about not having a $500 camera that can cure cancer and predict winning lottery numbers is reaching crazy levels. 

At least on the Canon thread people are funny about it all.

On 8/28/2019 at 1:50 PM, androidlad said:

a6100: IMX210
a6600: IMX284

Arriving in a few hours.

Till I read this, I didn't even realise that the A6000 and A5100 had a different sensor from that of the A6300 and A6500.

Either ways, the sensor and releases are a little disappointing. And the new f2.8 lens not having OIS is also slightly disappointing. 

23 minutes ago, EthanAlexander said:

I don't understand why everyone is rushing to call Sony the new Canon less than a year and a half after the A7III. Is Sony supposed to blow our minds with every new release for the rest of eternity?

Nobody is forcing anybody to upgrade... The amount of energy spent complaining about not having a $500 camera that can cure cancer and predict winning lottery numbers is reaching crazy levels. 

At least on the Canon thread people are funny about it all.

Things move at such a rapid pace in the camera industry, the A7iii launch seems forever ago. 

I don't think it's completely fair to call them the new Canon since they're not really crippling the camera by removing features, at least not to the extent Canon has, but it's quite concerning that they're releasing new cameras without much improvement to rolling shutter (which has always been a huge issue), image stabilization, ergonomics, bit rate, etc. all while re-using old sensors. 

You don't need to revolutionize with every release but there should be far more improvements than just a better battery and a headphone jack.