Panasonic S1H review / hands-on - a true 6K full frame cinema camera

Andrew Reid

22 hours ago, Darganslayer said:

I have this same question- do these Sigma 1.8 zooms work well with the S1/S1H or do they effectively put it into S35 mode? I wonder if anyone has done a real world test with video samples.

Putting the Sigma 1.8 lenses on the S1 automatically puts the camera into Super 35 mode. Unfortunately, short of gaff-taping the contacts and losing aperture control, you can't use these crop lenses in full-frame mode, even though (at least with the 18-35) it covers the ff sensor just fine from about 28mm and up. I just had to buy a new ff 35mm prime for this exact reason. 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
On 2/4/2020 at 9:09 AM, Darganslayer said:

I have this same question- do these Sigma 1.8 zooms work well with the S1/S1H or do they effectively put it into S35 mode? I wonder if anyone has done a real world test with video samples.

I believe from 20mm-ish the Sigma 18-35mm "covers" full frame somewhat with a slight crop (but the corners won't be great), or from 25mm ish without any crop. 

But you might as well buy the full frame Sigma 24-35mm f2 lens instead!! 

37 minutes ago, BjornT said:

S1H used for 2500 pounds on Panasonic's eBay outlet store seems like a pretty amazing deal. Shame I can't afford it:(

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Panasonic-DC-S1HE-K-Full-Frame-Mirrorless-Camera-24-2MP-6K-Photo-Body-Only-/324058233334?hash=item4b736039f6

only for the UK im afraid. But guess these prices will become pretty common soon. And might expect a pricedrop in general when canon/sony will announce their new camera's. 

25 minutes ago, PannySVHS said:

Show me some vintage glass on this beast. This is an indie filmmakers dream! An all in one Varicam GH2 with IBIS. :) Anyone with a 20mm Canon FD on this beast?

hadnt seen any S1H samples with the FD's but heres a S1 video with Canon FD 55mm f/1.2 Canon FD 85mm f/1.8, and Angenieux 28-70 f/2.6 Angenieux 70-210 f/3.5.  

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/18/2020 at 10:27 AM, PannySVHS said:

Show me some vintage glass on this beast. This is an indie filmmakers dream! An all in one Varicam GH2 with IBIS. :) Anyone with a 20mm Canon FD on this beast?

Check out Spencer Sakuri’s YouTube channel. I believe he uses vintage FD lenses on his test with this. 

On 12/29/2019 at 9:33 PM, Zak Forsman said:

Seems people like pairing their S1H with Leica-R lenses... and I'm one of them! I'm shooting a short doc on my brother about his comic book, "I Am Not Okay With This", as it's currently being adapted into a series for Netflix. This will be the second time he's had a comic book adapted into a series. The first was "The End of the F*cking World" which did well, however, he told me that people would see him signing copies of the original comic at cons, and accuse him of "ripping off the show". So this time, i wanted to help raise his profile a bit when "I Am Not Okay With This" is released, and it gives me something to flex my creative muscles on. 

I just watched the entire season of I Am Not OK With This in one sitting...  please pass on my congratulations to your brother - it was great stuff!

I highly recommend everyone else checks it out, it's very well done :) 

Looking forward to your doc too!

On 12/30/2019 at 2:33 AM, Zak Forsman said:

Seems people like pairing their S1H with Leica-R lenses... and I'm one of them! I'm shooting a short doc on my brother about his comic book, "I Am Not Okay With This", as it's currently being adapted into a series for Netflix. This will be the second time he's had a comic book adapted into a series. The first was "The End of the F*cking World" which did well, however, he told me that people would see him signing copies of the original comic at cons, and accuse him of "ripping off the show". So this time, i wanted to help raise his profile a bit when "I Am Not Okay With This" is released, and it gives me something to flex my creative muscles on. Anyway, some sample stills... Panasonic S1H, Leica Summicron-R 35mm, 50mm, & 90mm. Not a final grade -- just wanted to get some images out.

Is the doco going to be Netflix as well? (do you know what "I Am Not Okay With This" was shot on?)

On 2/18/2020 at 10:27 AM, PannySVHS said:

Here are a few frame grabs from the S1H with the Canon 50mm f/1.4 @ f/2.0. I didn't shoot the whole mini doc with FDs, but in some of the lower light scenes, I did use the 50mm a bit. 😊

P1001521.00_00_51_14.Still003.jpg

P1001521.00_00_21_04.Still007.jpg

P1001521.00_00_00_12.Still006.jpg

• 5 weeks later...

Has Panasonic ever confirmed the same ghosting fix they rolled out for the S1 is coming to the S1H?

Also, has anyone been able to compare the S1H against one of the Varicams?  I’ve only been able to find an EVA-1 comparison, but very curious how it stacks up to the Varicam LT.

On 4/8/2020 at 6:47 PM, Patrick B. said:

Has Panasonic ever confirmed the same ghosting fix they rolled out for the S1 is coming to the S1H?

Also, has anyone been able to compare the S1H against one of the Varicams?  I’ve only been able to find an EVA-1 comparison, but very curious how it stacks up to the Varicam LT.

They did at IBC 2019 before the ghosting fix on the S1 was available. Was talking to some engineers over there, they even knew who I was and knew the samples I sent. 

Sadly nothing really happened.
Did a collab video with Gerald Undone on this issue and did some promotion for my HLG Lut as well, since HLG is the only way to capture the same amount of dynamic range and color volume using the S1H without having an image which breaks apart quite easily but isn't easy to work with on the other hand without a proper Rec709 conversion to begin with.

55M Advanced Lut for S1H