Panasonic S1H review / hands-on - a true 6K full frame cinema camera

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Apologies if this has already been mentioned, but I was just looking at the Lumix firmware update page and noticed an update for the S1H was added on 10th December (version 1.1) - https://av.jpn.support.panasonic.com/support/global/cs/dsc/download/index4.html#

The change log:

Expanded compatibility with Profoto wireless transmitters

- Profoto wireless transmitters "Air Remote TTL-O/P" and "Profoto Connect-O/P" can be used.

* All functions may not be available depending on the situation.

Performance improvement

- There were cases where block noise increases depending on the subject in HFR (High Frame Rate) mode. This bug has been fixed.

2 hours ago, ac6000cw said:

Apologies if this has already been mentioned, but I was just looking at the Lumix firmware update page and noticed an update for the S1H was added on 10th December (version 1.1) - https://av.jpn.support.panasonic.com/support/global/cs/dsc/download/index4.html#

The change log:

Yeah, I got it; and they broke some stuff too.

Now you can't enable tally lights if you have the camera in Silent mode. I wonder what else was busted with this update as they tried to merge in the changes from the S1 codeline. Goes to show just how separate the code branches are between the S1 and the S1H for regressions like this to happen and not get caught. Of course I'm sensitive to this because I do this for a living at the day job, and it gets under my skin to see someone fumble product update with so much on the line.

Hi, 

A question to s1h owners. Disclaimer : it's going to be a tedious one.

I havent' been able to find what is the anamorphic crop factor. 

I believe you can shoot anamorphic in either s35 and FF modes. But what are the windows size? I guess in FF it justs removes the sides to create a 31,7x23,8 window. That is pretty good and unheard of. 

Now the tricky part. It's not that clear for S35. Is it a 4/3 window cropped into the 16/9 S35 modes (24.89x14mm) ? In that case it would make a 18,66x14mm s35 anamorphic mode. 

For instance academy anamorphic mode window is 24.89x18.66mm. If that's the case we'd have two modes that do not correspond to the legacy anamorphic size. That would be a bummer. I like a 50mm to be used a 50mm.

Or I am completely wrong and the s35 anamorphic mode is more of less the academy size window and in that case Panasonic deserves to be worshipped until the end of times ?

I'd be delighted to know. If someone can clear this for me, he'd be the real winner here. Thanks. 

1 hour ago, Julien416 said:

Hi, 

A question to s1h owners. Disclaimer : it's going to be a tedious one.

I havent' been able to find what is the anamorphic crop factor. 

I believe you can shoot anamorphic in either s35 and FF modes. But what are the windows size? I guess in FF it justs removes the sides to create a 31,7x23,8 window. That is pretty good and unheard of. 

Now the tricky part. It's not that clear for S35. Is it a 4/3 window cropped into the 16/9 S35 modes (24.89x14mm) ? In that case it would make a 18,66x14mm s35 anamorphic mode. 

For instance academy anamorphic mode window is 24.89x18.66mm. If that's the case we'd have two modes that do not correspond to the legacy anamorphic size. That would be a bummer. I like a 50mm to be used a 50mm.

Or I am completely wrong and the s35 anamorphic mode is more of less the academy size window and in that case Panasonic deserves to be worshipped until the end of times ?

I'd be delighted to know. If someone can clear this for me, he'd be the real winner here. Thanks. 

It's really easy to find out using the published specs.

In FF 6K 3:2 mode there's almost no crop, at 5952 x 3968.

In S35 mode it's all 1:1 readout, including the 4:3 mode, which is 3328 x 2496,  or 19.67 x 14.79mm window.

21 minutes ago, androidlad said:

It's really easy to find out using the published specs.

I guess I didn't try enough ? Thank you for you answer though.

21 minutes ago, androidlad said:

In S35 mode it's all 1:1 readout, including the 4:3 mode, which is 3328 x 2496,  or 19.67 x 14.79mm window.

Beware because I believe S35 and 1:1 readout are different ! 

However, if the anamorphic S35 mode is indeed a 1:1 readout, my take is that it's most unfortunate. It's a 20% crop compared to the academy size or even the Alexa. A 40 becomes roughly a 50, etc. I can't make up my mind reading the specs on the panasonic site, it isn't crystal clear, really.

I can still use the FF anamorphic mode and crop obviously but it would be a lot simpler to have a dedicated legacy mode to match it with academy  anamorphic size or even the slighly cropped Alexa's 4/3 sensor size (23,76x17,82mm).

HD with 120 fps in 10bit and with 150mbit h265 data rate sounds nice.

On 12/25/2019 at 7:09 PM, mercer said:

Merry Christmas!!!

I'm thinking about renting an S1H in the New Year and after looking at the specs, I was wondering...

Can DCI 4K 10-Bit VFR be used in in 24hz mode?

And can True 24p be used in 4K anamorphic mode?

If you do that, I would love to grade the material you filmed with it! Just bought a S1 with the 24 - 105mm on ebay. Hopefully seller is not a fraud and will ship it to me:) Very curious to see if it lives up to the GH5´s promise. If not it will have to go back on ebay.