Panasonic S1H review / hands-on - a true 6K full frame cinema camera

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

No worries, I don't intend to add any other video on topic from reputable names as Vittorio Storaro and Lawrence Sher : D even though I obviously disagree. I think people like you don't understand the difference between 10-bit and 12-bit, reason why a few or some tend to neglect the value added for stuff such as that one the braw container brings to here.

There are many people with distinct needs, of course. But that goes in both ways too. What seems boring to you, it can be found rather useful for others.

However, much worse when based on senseless approved camera lists. More boring than misinformation, well, it is hard to pick up ; ) to each its own anyway, doesn't bother me at all, relax : -)

Since Emanuel... and friends... want to discuss BM Cameras so badly, I figured I'd add that the one place where BM has Panasonic beat, in regards to the S1H, is in price. Although I am sure the S1H may be worth the $4000, but I can't help to imagine how many more people would have bought it at $3000. But I think Panasonic's pricing has been a little hefty since the GH5 and I think Fuji, BlackMagic and now Sigma confirms this.

IMO, the GH5 should have been a $1500 camera, the GH5s should have had IBIS and been $2000, the S1 should have also been $2000, the S1R at $2500 and the S1H at $3000. There is just too much competition in this niche market for Panasonic to charge such a premium.

With that said, if I was a wealthier man and had an extra 4 grand lying around, I'd buy an S1H in a heartbeat. 

EDIT - to add so there isn't any confusion with Emanuel, I understand 12bit trumps 10bit and I am sure there are other features, other than price, where one could argue the P6K is better than the S1H.

That's the price of fame, man, team work ; ) Blackmagic is what RED could have been, fortunately, for these Aussies, lot of people have moved to their ecosystem. Who knows one of these days you join the cult : -D You've already been interested on my stuff, at least, some starting point to begin with LOL We can even collaborate together, really, we never know, a few collaborations have began like that, occasionally. I'm a proud devotee on coworker networks, count on it : )

How's your narrative work?

1 minute ago, Emanuel said:

That's the price of fame, man, team work ; ) Blackmagic is what RED could have been, fortunately, for these Aussies, lot of people have moved to their ecosystem. Who knows one of these days you join the cult : -D

RED is changing with the

54 minutes ago, mercer said:

Since Emanuel... and friends... want to discuss BM Cameras so badly, I figured I'd add that the one place where BM has Panasonic beat, in regards to the S1H, is in price. Although I am sure the S1H may be worth the $4000, but I can't help to imagine how many more people would have bought it at $3000. But I think Panasonic's pricing has been a little hefty since the GH5 and I think Fuji, BlackMagic and now Sigma confirms this.

This is true and I'd love to have the Pocket 6k simply for the image quality. 

That said where the S1H really wins is usability. Small files sizes, amazing IBIS, good battery life, amazing low light, tons of frame rate and resolution options, versatile mount that you can put anything on. Having been able to use it the other day its just awesome. I've also been using the Pocket 4k for the past month. I love the menus, being able to record to SSD's. But the form factor of the camera is lacking and its definitely not as run and gun friendly. The S1H is really the king of versatility. 

44 minutes ago, thebrothersthre3 said:

This is true and I'd love to have the Pocket 6k simply for the image quality. 

That said where the S1H really wins is usability. Small files sizes, amazing IBIS, good battery life, amazing low light, tons of frame rate and resolution options, versatile mount that you can put anything on. Having been able to use it the other day its just awesome. I've also been using the Pocket 4k for the past month. I love the menus, being able to record to SSD's. But the form factor of the camera is lacking and its definitely not as run and gun friendly. The S1H is really the king of versatility. 

Funny, I don't find the Pocket cameras run-n-gun unfriendly, quite the opposite. Love the camera design and form factor. Japanese menus irritate me. Maybe because I come from film camera realm? No idea.

I am a Panasonic lover anyway, just not as much as before. Exactly because of Blackmagic cameras, not to even mention their superior IQ.

S1H is quite of a device per se, without the need of any comparative term no matter what.

I second Glenn's opinion though: pricey, nowadays.

It is what it is, folks, just sayin' : -)

16 minutes ago, Emanuel said:

Funny, I don't find the Pocket cameras run-n-gun unfriendly, quite the opposite. Love the camera design and form factor. Japanese menus irritate me. Maybe because I come from film camera realm? No idea.

I am a Panasonic lover anyway, just not as much as before. Exactly because of Blackmagic cameras, not to even mention their superior IQ.

S1H is quite of a device per se, without the need of any comparative no matter what.

I second Glenn's opinion though: pricey, nowadays.

It is what it is, folks, just sayin' : -)

Not saying the Pocket can't be used for run and gun. People have been running around with much heavier cameras and rigs. That said there is no question that the S1H is superior for run and gun IMHO. IBIS, plus longer battery life, plus tilt screen and evf. Of course its more expensive but if its your job its just another drop in the bucket, especially if it makes your job easier. 

I like to do more slow narrative work so I'd probably get a pocket. For something like a wedding it would be the S1H all day long, especially if i was a single shooter.

It's true, the best camera is the one we have with. I just have the little GX85 always with me and has become the pocket one literally LOL

Because I invariably end to pick up the Blackmagic... It is like that woman you can't resist her, you don't mind to do many questions why : -D

S1H has many advantages, I also feel tempted to add it to my arsenal.

I guess the Aussie shooting interface (love British legacy of simplicity and efficiency) and 12-bit braw has impeded that to happen : )

Reason why I tend to never be able to forget : D better to not let it at home as Dennis wrote : -)

23 minutes ago, thebrothersthre3 said:

Not saying the Pocket can't be used for run and gun. People have been running around with much heavier cameras and rigs. That said there is no question that the S1H is superior for run and gun IMHO. IBIS, plus longer battery life, plus tilt screen and evf. Of course its more expensive but if its your job its just another drop in the bucket, especially if it makes your job easier.

Exactly. Even though my dream is to make a feature narrative film, at the end of the day... today anyway... I am still just a hobbyist. Between my day job, and life in general, finding the time and money to work on my film is a difficult task, so any piece of equipment... be it camera, lens, support, lighting or audio... needs to make the process easier. And speaking for myself only, BlackMagic cameras are a pain in the ass to use. There is always some corner that needs to be cut, always something that needs to be rigged just to get a viewable image or a decent bit of battery life. This has nothing to do with the image or the file sizes, or anything else... for pure image quality, they cannot be beat at their price point... especially when you consider how cheap the OG Pocket and Micro can be bought for. But for TRUE run & gun, there are better options and the S1H, other than internal raw, ticks every box I would want in a new camera... if I was in the market for one.

With that said, that's why the S1H gets my vote for camera of the year and Sigma gets an honorable mention for what they were able to achieve with the FP and more specifically... internal 8bit 4K raw.  It's really quite an astonishing feat for such a small full frame camera.

37 minutes ago, mercer said:

Exactly. Even though my dream is to make a feature narrative film, at the end of the day... today anyway... I am still just a hobbyist. Between my day job, and life in general, finding the time and money to work on my film is a difficult task, so any piece of equipment... be it camera, lens, support, lighting or audio... needs to make the process easier. And speaking for myself only, BlackMagic cameras are a pain in the ass to use. There is always some corner that needs to be cut, always something that needs to be rigged just to get a viewable image or a decent bit of battery life. This has nothing to do with the image or the file sizes, or anything else... for pure image quality, they cannot be beat at their price point... especially when you consider how cheap the OG Pocket and Micro can be bought for. But for TRUE run & gun, there are better options and the S1H, other than internal raw, ticks every box I would want in a new camera... if I was in the market for one.

With that said, that's why the S1H gets my vote for camera of the year and Sigma gets an honorable mention for what they were able to achieve with the FP and more specifically... internal 8bit 4K raw.  It's really quite an astonishing feat for such a small full frame camera.

Making a feature is easier than you might think these days. Wrapping one next Saturday at 11 days of shooting with a 5 man crew.  

I would probably give the Pocket 4k camera of the year, as it really gives a cinema quality image at a next to nothing price point and really all you need is a cheap monitor to get you a really usable relatively small camera. 

The 5D MK3 still gives a very unique image at a really love cost and of course 12 bit RAW. You'd probably like the Pocket 4k/6k mercer, though it would force you into a 4k/6k workflow if you want RAW without cropping. I think you'd prefer the Canon look though, at least over the Pocket 4k. 

14 minutes ago, mercer said:

To add... I haven't used the S1H or the new BMPCC 4K/6K cameras. My opinion is solely based on footage, features and experience with older model Panasonic and Blackmagic cameras... so in summation... what the fuck do I know?!?!?!

I find the later Blackmagic models much improved and mature product. My beef with Japanese way of reinventing shooting menus is the fact their designers have no absolute clue about the finest pleasure of photography. They make digital filmmaking sucks to be the norm. Too focused in electronics and automatic modes. Truly a pain. Just my personal impression though : -)

Blackmagic has reinvented digital film with their superior color science to the affordable side from my own experience. I'd firmly rather recommend their cameras to anyone.

4 minutes ago, thebrothersthre3 said:

Making a feature is easier than you might think these days. Wrapping one next Saturday at 11 days of shooting with a 5 man crew.  

How long should it take with a 1 man crew? Lol. Seriously, though. I am about 2 years into mine with probably another year to go... but I have had some set backs over that time and 3/4 of the year, I shoot 1 day a month.

8 minutes ago, thebrothersthre3 said:
7 minutes ago, thebrothersthre3 said:

I would probably give the Pocket 4k camera of the year, as it really gives a cinema quality image at a next to nothing price point and really all you need is a cheap monitor to get you a really usable relatively small camera.

Ok, but which year? Lol.

9 minutes ago, thebrothersthre3 said:

The 5D MK3 still gives a very unique image at a really love cost and of course 12 bit RAW. 

Oh yeah, I love my camera. I'll get another year or two out of it before I really feel the need for an upgrade. Btw, the 5D3 with ML Raw shoots full frame 14 bit raw both uncompressed and lossless.

1 minute ago, mercer said:

How long should it take with a 1 man crew? Lol. Seriously, though. I am about 2 years into mine with probably another year to go... but I have had some set backs over that time and 3/4 of the year, I shoot 1 day a month.

Ok, but which year? Lol.

Oh yeah, I love my camera. I'll get another year or two out of it before I really feel the need for an upgrade. Btw, the 5D3 with ML Raw shoots full frame 14 bit raw both uncompressed and lossless.

forgot about that

wait didn't the pocket 4k come out this year?