Panasonic S1H review / hands-on - a true 6K full frame cinema camera

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
44 minutes ago, deezid said:

It's a problem at every iso setting in V-Log.

And it gets really bad in the 6k modes or higher ISO values.

How do you find the image quality compares with the C200 otherwise?

There's no "off" setting for noise reduction? 

Does the S1 suffer from the same issues?

That's a shame, I thought this camera–specifically 6k–would be very good for low light.

15 minutes ago, HockeyFan12 said:

How do you find the image quality compares with the C200 otherwise?

There's no "off" setting for noise reduction? 

Does the S1 suffer from the same issues?

That's a shame, I thought this camera–specifically 6k–would be very good for low light.

The C200 doesn't have any NR issues in RAW. I don't like the strong filtered MP4 output though. Color in C-Log 2(RAW) is fantastic. Much different beast though.

The S1 has the noise reduction and gamut related issues fixed but we S1H owners have to wait much longer probably because the RAW update isn't ready yet...

2 hours ago, Julien416 said:

Every new panasonic cameras have shortcomings when released. There's a lesson to be learned there. Don't be a first buyer. I am keeping an eye on the S1H myself. But at the moment it really feels unpolished, especially at the asked price. I'll wait a bit. 

I think you are totally right!!!

On 12/6/2019 at 1:00 PM, deezid said:

Renting the Pocket 4K atm for almost every shooting atm while the S1H stays home. ?

I just don't see the issues you are complaining about with my S1H. Maybe I don't have such a sensitivity to these things, or haven't shot anything that such issues would reveal themselves. Mind you, I've shot three weddings and a memorial for a famous artist, and I haven't noticed a thing! I was over ISO-6400 for 3 of the 4 shoots.

On 12/5/2019 at 3:34 PM, Rinad Amir said:

I only get 8bit 4k60p internally.Can you pinpoint me where i can find that option please

20191205_203204.jpg

Yous is 935g mine is 955g so yah yours is heavy? 

I think you just have to move up to the menu on page two for the C4K, 60p, 10-bit option.

20191208_002239.jpg

20191208_002323.jpg

On 12/6/2019 at 12:41 PM, austinchimp said:

Just wanted to chime in on this and say I've used the S1 and S1H recently and the autofocus when recording with v-log is much worse than you'd imagine. I'd say continuous autofocus it's basically unusable. It cannot focus on a static face in good light indoors across a table about a meter across.

Really hope they can pull out some improvement through firmware. The weird thing is the tracking box recognises the face and tracks it well, but the focus just went back and forth to extremes trying to focus. In other modes apart from V-log it's better, but not great. Given I bought the camera to use the V-log I'm quite disappointed that it can't do even basic shots. I wouldn't trust it even making home movies with my family, let alone a professional job.

I just experienced this myself. On a static face at 105mm f/4, face detection will rack all the way from infinity to macro. Damn lucky I was able to cut to the GH5S shot in the edit while I switched over to manual! I tried this once on a pro job, and it damn sure was my last! 

I need to do some more testing, like changing f/4 to f/8 (to mimic the DOF of my GH5S at f/4) and see how it fares. But really, it just is quite unusable! I bitched on the Facebook forums, and Nick Driftwood said I needed to use +2 Speed and +2 Sensitivity. Well guess what, that was what I was using! ?

2 hours ago, Lux Shots said:

I just experienced this myself. On a static face at 105mm f/4, face detection will rack all the way from infinity to macro. Damn lucky I was able to cut to the GH5S shot in the edit while I switched over to manual! I tried this once on a pro job, and it damn sure was my last! 

?

Yeah I have to admit, even after hearing how bad it is, the performance is shocking. It's a massive black mark against the camera. Even in photo mode it often won't lock on and hunts. For a so called Pro camera it's a joke.

Shame because everything else is fantastic, but it's a pretty key flaw.

Which Facebook forum did you comment in?

25 minutes ago, austinchimp said:

Yeah I have to admit, even after hearing how bad it is, the performance is shocking. It's a massive black mark against the camera. Even in photo mode it often won't lock on and hunts. For a so called Pro camera it's a joke.

From what I understand, Panasonic refuses to implement anything similar to DPAF because it messes with the noise texture. Anyway I wouldn't expect the S1H to get close to Canon or Sony in AF.

I want to rent one of these soon to play around with. What are people using for ND filters? Fader NDs? Or are there ND adapters? 

Anything I should know about? I already have V90 SD cards, that's the only thing I can think of. Are there noise reduction settings to play with? Any necessary AKS to pick up or gotchas? 

20 hours ago, austinchimp said:

Shame because everything else is fantastic, but it's a pretty key flaw.

Which Facebook forum did you comment in?

It was the Panasonic S1, S1R and S1H for video users.

On 12/6/2019 at 6:00 PM, deezid said:

On 12/6/2019 at 5:56 PM, Julien416 said:

On 12/6/2019 at 5:55 PM, deezid said:

Thinking about selling my stuff and get a pocket 6k again...

Mate, you should really think about renting gear...

Renting the Pocket 4K atm for almost every shooting atm while the S1H stays home. ?

Guys, nothing, really nothing beats Blackmagic Pocket camera series... as simple as that ; ) You should all know it! : -)

2 minutes ago, Emanuel said:

Guys, nothing, really nothing beats Blackmagic Pocket camera series... as simple as that ; ) You should all know it! : -)

Ibis is missing, camera is clunky and battery lasts 15 minutes. I know there are workarounds and the image is absolutely gorgeous, but I just want something that works straight out of the box without hiccups and additionnal gear. 

1 hour ago, Julien416 said:

Ibis is missing, camera is clunky and battery lasts 15 minutes. I know there are workarounds and the image is absolutely gorgeous, but I just want something that works straight out of the box without hiccups and additionnal gear. 

WTH clunky?? Are you serious? : X

Well, to be honest yet, clunky?

I will tell what clunky is: those tiny and toyish tiny monitors with menus for sissies those (ALL) Japanese cameras actually are, no exception, I guess you are not joking but I pretend to believe you can only be kidding! LOL : )

I have no idea how happens with you guys, battery is anything but never a problem because you simply need a bunch of batteries (small and light BTW for this camera device) or power alternatives for filmmaking whether you use S8, S16, S35 in film or digital age, narrative or endless roll events... I just used this light/colour acquisition Swiss Army knife in a recent 2-hours music concert (The Waterboys in Lisbon) two weeks ago: never in my life had as clean colorful outcome as along this capture device ever in my career before...

IBIS, yes, it might be handy indeed but get a light one like this and you'll make it:

: -)

Don't get on your high horse @Emanuel, I was talking form factor wise. It's just not my cup of tea. I do not pretend representing anyone else than myself. Different needs, different solutions. 

I do not want a crane. I just want a run & gun solution to go with my already clunky anamorphic lenses. The s1h looks divine on paper. With a little polish it could be the perfect camera (for me). 

No drama on the subject matter, I won't even mention anamorphic shooting support either ; ) to each its own of course : ) I just try to make the point for those who have no clue what a monster of a tool this device is before you start to use one, you risk to abandon everyone else as I've actually done...

Speaks and writes to you a Panasonic and anamorphic glass user/lover here too BTW folks, that's it! (E ; -)

To read you Glenn to mention that A-cam Netflix approval mantra is quite of amusing to say the least... LOL ; )

Pure BS, my friend, some nonsense engineering/business green light without even knowing who Vittorio Storaro is, very likely ; -)

Phew, only on Internet forums we can read that and such focus, as matter of fact : -)

18 minutes ago, Emanuel said:

To read you Glenn to mention that A-cam Netflix approval mantra is quite of amusing to say the least... LOL ; )

Pure BS, my friend, some nonsense engineering/business green light without even knowing who Vittorio Storaro is, very likely ; -)

Phew, only on Internet forums we can read that and such focus, as matter of fact : -)

With all due respect, Emmanuel, your points sometimes get lost in your broken English. For instance, I have no idea what Storaro has to do with a Netflix camera greenlight?

With that said, I agree that the S1H's Netflix A-cam approval means little to most filmmakers unless they have a production deal with Netflix. But the fact that it's been greenlit still adds a level of value to a camera that mere mortals can afford.

You know me, I'm still happy with my 5D3 and ML Raw. In fact, I don't really understand why any narrative filmmaker, at our level, would need anything more than that. But everybody has different needs and desires when it comes to their tools. 

If I was in the market for a new camera, I'd go with the S1H without hesitation. The new generation of BM cameras just aren't that appealing to me. But I'm happy you are enjoying yours! I am looking forward to seeing some of that Waterboys footage you've been talking about.

1 hour ago, mercer said:

With all due respect, Emmanuel, your points sometimes get lost in your broken English. For instance, I have no idea what Storaro has to do with a Netflix camera greenlight?

With that said, I agree that the S1H's Netflix A-cam approval means little to most filmmakers unless they have a production deal with Netflix. But the fact that it's been greenlit still adds a level of value to a camera that mere mortals can afford.

You know me, I'm still happy with my 5D3 and ML Raw. In fact, I don't really understand why any narrative filmmaker, at our level, would need anything more than that. But everybody has different needs and desires when it comes to their tools. 

If I was in the market for a new camera, I'd go with the S1H without hesitation. The new generation of BM cameras just aren't that appealing to me. But I'm happy you are enjoying yours! I am looking forward to seeing some of that Waterboys footage you've been talking about.

I see you concur, I knew it, so I've written ; )

I don't think it is a quality of my broken-good-English BTW, we're not discussing linguistics over here, I even think Shakespeare would still struggle to probably make himself understood a lot of times by many of you on these contemporary boards anyway LOL : )

What the hell Vittorio Storaro has to do it? Well, English is not his native language either, light craft is though ; ) Exactly where such reputable camera approved lists don't belong ; -) As simple as that : X

On The Waterboys front, this will lead a few time while yet, it's a project for a long run.

I tried my luck with the band road manager Nick_Robinson a couple of years ago, three years back to be more precise. Got to succeed but vetoed a higher level above by Paul_Charles, the novelist and band's manager too. Without mention, Mike the leader himself is not entirely dedicated to other than music, poetry and common distasteful by some populism on politics : D so seems pictures don't usually tend to break too much his heart as happens with other fellows like us here.

Only now we had now the chance to officially be accredited as press next to a direct personal contact with the band members since 2001 by me at least (despite the fact I am Mike's fan from minute one, that is, mid 80s of last century in my particular case). The goal is getting their green light on a doc project to pursue for next years following up the band's concerts road map to come. Even though, the idea is to have their official acknowledgement, we might pretty well end as unofficial if necessary or that would strictly depend on us. That's the way to be indie means : P Isn't content the king, after all? Or only as self-proclaimed over the forums surrendered to somewhat stupid camera lists approved anyhow by a decent smartass airhead fellow at the office...?! : -D

You'll obviously be able to update such information to be available online in the future. Thanks for your interest, a reciprocal one BTW (E : -)