Panasonic S1H review / hands-on - a true 6K full frame cinema camera

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
12 hours ago, AaronChicago said:

Yeah its the newest version of Resolve Studio. I’m going to try it on my macbook tonight.

Tried setting the timeline to the native clip resolution (5952x3968).
Still working fine but no more noise reduction possibe, so there's definitely a performance hit.

Did you edit in native or lower resolution?

4 hours ago, deezid said:

Tried setting the timeline to the native clip resolution (5952x3968).
Still working fine but no more noise reduction possibe, so there's definitely a performance hit.

Did you edit in native or lower resolution?

I've tried both. Even on a 3840x2160 timeline it stutters. It's not a big deal to me really as 5.8K is fine. If I ever used 3:2 for anamorphic I'd be a little bummed, although I could just run a color proxy inside Resolve.

15 minutes ago, Lux Shots said:

If you use Neat Video to clean up your footage, just forget it! My beastly system that was processing 4K 10-bit at 10 fps through Neat Video, got reduced to a measly 2.9 fps when trying to noise reduce the S1H's 5.9K! ?

same here, node cache coming in quite handy though ?

Here is an interesting one. For those of you that have an external recorder with an S1H, do you have the option to set 10 bit in the "HDMI Rec Output" menu, as shown in this video below? Me and another user from the facebook group don't have that option at all, doesn't even show up in the list. I am using the super expensive atomos HDMI 2.0 cable as well. 

Also something else unexpected. The buttons on this camera feel like shit! They are mushy as hell, especially the big red record buttons. 

I expected nice tactile clicks, instead I got buttons that seems to have no bottom. They just mush along until the feel like being registered.

46 minutes ago, Lux Shots said:

Also something else unexpected. The buttons on this camera feel like shit! They are mushy as hell, especially the big red record buttons. 

I expected nice tactile clicks, instead I got buttons that seems to have no bottom. They just mush along until the feel like being registered.

Those are my favorite kind ?

That is pretty disappointing for a $4000 camera tho, but hey trade offs to everything I guess. 

14 hours ago, thebrothersthre3 said:

Those are my favorite kind ?

That is pretty disappointing for a $4000 camera tho, but hey trade offs to everything I guess. 

Still waiting for the NR and ghosting fix. Buttons are soft but work just fine.
Me in the meanwhile shooting with the S1H at higher ISO

3 hours ago, AaronChicago said:

The biggest surprise for me with this camera is the outstanding color reproduction. Skin tones are spot on. This matches up much better with my Red Dragon than the BMPCC4k. Would love to see some kind of 12 bit raw implemented.

5.8K - 4000 ISO - 24p frame grab:

ElaineTightJPEG.jpg

Color on this camera is fantastic. Even by just using the standard V709 conversion. Can't wait for the ProResRAW update which would fix the NR issue anyway. We still don't know if it's 10 bit log or 12 bit linear...

Do you guys really propose to assess a camera's "color science" by referencing one highly stylized and heavily color corrected beauty shot, at a complete remove from the naturalistic norms of modern-day dramatic cinematography?

And what's the ideal?  Accurate color or stylized color?

By tomorrow morning, the forums will be full of people insisting that the S1H is as good as the Red Dragon and the skin tones on the BMPCC 4K are crap.  I read it on the internet.....

1 hour ago, helium said:

Do you guys really propose to assess a camera's "color science" by referencing one highly stylized and heavily color corrected beauty shot, at a complete remove from the naturalistic norms of modern-day dramatic cinematography?

By tomorrow morning, the forums will be full of people insisting that the S1H is as good as the Red Dragon and the skin tones on the BMPCC 4K are crap.  I read it on the internet.....

Eh?

8 minutes ago, Vision said:

Any news from Pana or Atomos about Raw? 

Just waiting.

The RAW development may be the reason why we S1H users have to wait for the (slight) color science and especially temporal noise reduction update a while longer while the S1 will receive it next week...

4 hours ago, helium said:

My surprise was more to do with the fact that it’s NOT heavily graded. I honestly only used VLog to Rec709, curves adjustment, and sharpened her eyes with face tracker. No hue or color temp adjustments at all.

To your point about accurate vs stylized color, i completely agree. Neither one is “better”. Just depends on what you’re doing. 9 times out of 10 im using my RED for commercial or beauty - where accurate color matters. I haven’t been as successful matching the bmpcc in those catagories. However i absolutely love using it on narrative or stylized shoots. Just shot a horror short with the bmpcc6k and it was wonderful.

4 hours ago, helium said:

Go away already

@deezid Atomos announced RAW with the Nikon Z6....how long ago? February. 8 months ago. There was an update regarding it in August , where we were informed it was no longer a free update and you need to to send in your camera. Recently, Jeromy Young  went on an interview saying this update will come by BlackFriday but I am not counting on it. I am sure there is some fuckery going on behind closed doors trying to get Raw output via HDMI.

That being said, Jeromy Young  and Atomos have a long history of over promising and under delivering with their products. 

I understand you are waiting for the RAW output with the S1H, but I wouldn't hold your breath.