Panasonic S1H review / hands-on - a true 6K full frame cinema camera

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
On 11/3/2019 at 5:48 PM, helium said:

If folks really want their footage to look like this, you have to wonder why they'd bother to agonize over camera choice.  Just about anything will do.

What are you talking about, this is prolly the best video shot with the s1h. Peoples taste sure can differ :))

On 11/3/2019 at 8:48 AM, helium said:

If folks really want their footage to look like this, you have to wonder why they'd bother to agonize over camera choice.  Just about anything will do.

firmware announced, but oddly no mention for S1H. Update notes do mention a fix for blue clipping in vlog and a fix for afterimage, which I believe is the ghosting issue seen by some. 

https://m.dpreview.com/news/0778308148/panasonic-adds-features-with-firmware-for-gh5-gh5s-g9-s1-and-s1r-with-particular-boost-for-g9-video

@Mike Mgee At least for the regular S1, on the latest firmware 1.2, the ugly blue-clipping in VLOG is definitely still a problem which has yet to be fixed, I just finished shooting a project tonight in which it is very apparent in several scenes. 

Edit: I now see that firmware update 1.3 for the S1 will be out on November 19th, and help with the blue-clipping issue, along with several other fixes like ghosting, and last-but-not-least including the ability to set manual exposure in high framerates!! Very nice to see that Panasonic is listening to user feedback. 

4 hours ago, Mike Mgee said:

@deezid Panasonic updated the S1 firmware to fix the issues you addressed. Can you please have a look and report back to us?

Saw that, unfortunately only have the S1H here which doesn't have a new firmware announcement yet. 
@Panasonic, if you read this: NR OFF Switch. lol

Nick Driftwood is testing the beta version of the S1 firmware at the moment.

6 hours ago, Lux Shots said:

Kinda unrelated, but related. The latest update to Premiere Pro CC plays 5.9K HEVC/H265 footage at 100% quality like butter! I tested this with V-Log footage graded with a Varicam LUT with minor tweaks to taste.

Pleasantly surprised ?!

Nice. That would mean finally proper Cuda support like Resolve.
Would love to see some benchmarks and tests.

On 11/6/2019 at 7:19 AM, deezid said:

Saw that, unfortunately only have the S1H here which doesn't have a new firmware announcement yet. 
@Panasonic, if you read this: NR OFF Switch. lol

Nick Driftwood is testing the beta version of the S1 firmware at the moment.

Nice. That would mean finally proper Cuda support like Resolve.
Would love to see some benchmarks and tests.

Well, I'm using an AMD Vega Frontier Edition graphics card and Ryzen processor, so they must have beefed up their OpenCL implementation!

2 hours ago, AaronChicago said:

If i shoot 6K 3:2 my computer can barely play 1 fps, but if I shoot 5.8K 16:9 it plays a smooth 24fps. This is in Resolve BTW.

What's your GPU? Different GPUs have different resolution limits.
And also which operating system?

Using Windows and Linux here and the 6K 3:2 footage plays fine here on every machine in Resolve Studio.

7 minutes ago, AaronChicago said:

Gtx 2070 on windows 10

Well that's weird.
I have a laptop with a 1070 Max Q on Windows 10 here and the footage runs flawlessly, can even apply some noise reduction.
Which driver version? Studio Driver (that's what I'm using on Windows). Also Resolve 16.1.1?