Panasonic S1H review / hands-on - a true 6K full frame cinema camera

Andrew Reid

15 hours ago, deezid said:

Free version doesn't decode 10 bit H264/H265 footage.
Here's a screenshot with some extreme "corrections".
It looks even worse in motion.

5.1.2_5.1.2.png

Would you kindly link to the original clip?  Am not going to install Premiere, but I'm interested to see if the clip can be broken similarly in Resolve.  I think it probably can, it's a just a matter of order of operations.  Also, are you sure you did nothing in Premiere which required 8-bit processing?  One 8-bit fx, and the whole thing goes 8 bit.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

A different topic from the recent ones, but still very much within the domain of the thread overall...  The S1H has a dual gain structure, with two native ISOs, of 640 and 4,000.  Probably my question stems from a misapprehension on my part but, in asking it, it is likely that someone with much more technical insight will be able to put me right!  Does the S1H's lower native ISO of 640 mean that anything taken at an ISO lower than 640 (whether stills or video) will be inferior compared to its having been taken at ISO640 (and with an ND filter used, say)?  In effect, I am asking whether the 'lowest native ISO' of 640 means that anything taken at lower than ISO 640 will have been subjected to digital gain reduction from an 'actual' ISO640 (e.g. you set to ISO320 but the S1H is actually shooting at ISO640 then reducing the exposure by one stop digitally).  The latter would seem so odd (in terms of quality of shots at under ISO640), yet I can't understand on the face of it how a dual gain such as this can function otherwise...Unless there is additionally a true 'base ISO' of 100 (not mentioned)... Any thoughts welcome!  

6 hours ago, helium said:

Would you kindly link to the original clip?  Am not going to install Premiere, but I'm interested to see if the clip can be broken similarly in Resolve.  I think it probably can, it's a just a matter of order of operations.  Also, are you sure you did nothing in Premiere which required 8-bit processing?  One 8-bit fx, and the whole thing goes 8 bit.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/6yh66zg7yu17p6y/AAA9Ic6JZott_BMNRbKXOupra?dl=0&fbclid=IwAR1Pg4u_t9yfEY5APezn3ZVoFSjvPDejm_0NAQo1NoaKEBbTWKIZD_fYs3k

Clip 303.

No, didn't use any 8 bit process - only the "32-bit" ones.
Also importing the ProRes clips into Premiere I created in Xmedia Recode still doesn't help either - while in Resolve everything is fine.

4 hours ago, Jonathan Bergqvist said:

I've applied harsh s-curves in both resolve studio 15 and premiere 2019. Seems like the artefacts can be found in both programs. Again, the premiere curve is harder, so the artefacts show better.

Why did you apply a harsher curve in Premiere if you were trying to compare the two?

On 10/15/2019 at 4:10 PM, Dirk Gently said:

A different topic from the recent ones, but still very much within the domain of the thread overall...  The S1H has a dual gain structure, with two native ISOs, of 640 and 4,000.  Probably my question stems from a misapprehension on my part but, in asking it, it is likely that someone with much more technical insight will be able to put me right!  Does the S1H's lower native ISO of 640 mean that anything taken at an ISO lower than 640 (whether stills or video) will be inferior compared to its having been taken at ISO640 (and with an ND filter used, say)?  In effect, I am asking whether the 'lowest native ISO' of 640 means that anything taken at lower than ISO 640 will have been subjected to digital gain reduction from an 'actual' ISO640 (e.g. you set to ISO320 but the S1H is actually shooting at ISO640 then reducing the exposure by one stop digitally).  The latter would seem so odd (in terms of quality of shots at under ISO640), yet I can't understand on the face of it how a dual gain such as this can function otherwise...Unless there is additionally a true 'base ISO' of 100 (not mentioned)... Any thoughts welcome!  

It's the same as it works on Sony for SLOG

ISO640 base iso for vlog is underexposed ISO100 by 2.66EV, and adjusted gamma.

Why 640? because with VLOG the 32% grey lands where it should with proper exposure and the highlight DR till clipping is counted from middle grey.

The base ISO values are measured like this, and this is the reason why the (base) ISO values differ in different picture styles.

So in photo mode RAW: ISO100 / ISO640 are the base ISO values

HLG: ISO400/2500

VLOG: ISO640/4000

On 10/15/2019 at 5:50 PM, deezid said:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/6yh66zg7yu17p6y/AAA9Ic6JZott_BMNRbKXOupra?dl=0&fbclid=IwAR1Pg4u_t9yfEY5APezn3ZVoFSjvPDejm_0NAQo1NoaKEBbTWKIZD_fYs3k

Clip 303.

No, didn't use any 8 bit process - only the "32-bit" ones.
Also importing the ProRes clips into Premiere I created in Xmedia Recode still doesn't help either - while in Resolve everything is fine.

High saturation and a steep curve yield the same artifacts in Resolve.  There's a recent thread in the BMD forum, with someone complaining about much the same in BMPCC 4K footage, in Resolve.  The shot was 4 stops over and then stressed in post.  

Just now, helium said:

High saturation and a steep curve yield the same artifacts in Resolve.  There's a recent thread in the BMD forum, with someone complaining about much the same in BMPCC 4K footage, in Resolve.  The shot was 4 stops over and then stressed in post.  

Noticed after updating to the latest CC2019 version (still had 2018 installed because I didn't use it anymore anyway) in case you tick Max Bitdepth in Sequence and Render settings you'll get a similar amount of artifacts but a slight green shift and slightly higher gamma (darker image)...

22 hours ago, Deadcode said:

It's the same as it works on Sony for SLOG

ISO640 base iso for vlog is underexposed ISO100 by 2.66EV, and adjusted gamma.

Why 640? because with VLOG the 32% grey lands where it should with proper exposure and the highlight DR till clipping is counted from middle grey.

The base ISO values are measured like this, and this is the reason why the (base) ISO values differ in different picture styles.

So in photo mode RAW: ISO100 / ISO640 are the base ISO values

HLG: ISO400/2500

VLOG: ISO640/4000

Very clear explanation - thanks a lot!

On 10/16/2019 at 6:41 PM, thebrothersthre3 said:

Why did you apply a harsher curve in Premiere if you were trying to compare the two?

Haha very true! ? I guess I saw the artefacts clear in both programs so I didnt think it was necessary to push it further to prove the point. And it was hard to push the curve in resolve! 

Maybe we could just drop the whole “premiere can’t cope with 10 bit” and carry on with our lives? Looking forward to trying out the S1H in a real project! 

21 hours ago, ntblowz said:

Interesting that BMPCC6K didnt but this get approved.

As much as I can enter in your house invited by you and someone else doesn't call my presence there. It's nothing about IQ. As much as I guess Netflix wouldn't refuse to serve their audiences with LVT's Idioterne shot two decades ago on DV:

If someone here has anything to be financed by Netflix, please let me know. I can be interested to put my money there -- that is, who knows will my money get Netflix approval...?! Thanks LOL ; )

20 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

Anyone who even thinks about using BMPCC6K for Netflix production is braver than I am.

Good fucking luck :)

Maybe a faulty unit, Andrew? I am telling so because my P4K never had one single fail so far! So I don't see the reason why P6K version should? : -)

• Administrators
43 minutes ago, Emanuel said:

Maybe a faulty unit, Andrew? I am telling so because my P4K never had one single fail so far! So I don't see the reason why P6K version should? : -)

I ended up returning my P6K to the dealer.

It didn't help that it arrived with a scuff on the sensor and deep scratch in the lens mount, which their head of tech-support tried to pass off as 'rough handing by the courier'.

Yes, a courier can scratch your brand-new camera mount through the lens cap and a closed box, of course he can.

He can even put a smudge on your sensor if you're not careful, through several layers of packaging... Damn FedEx.

So after the Blackmagic head of technical support bullshitted me in an email, and after a bad tempered encounter at IBC, I have chosen to become an ex-Blackmagic supporter.