Panasonic S1H review / hands-on - a true 6K full frame cinema camera

Andrew Reid

Another example found on YouTube showing that the S1H has the same ghosting and smear issues caused by temporal NR.

Download (4.6GB)
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1iehW5LEYlJ87X_RtXQDvvQKu-vEVo-0O

src videos
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sXL9QXc2THM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hKulJ6EWMJI

Further examples showing the same issue on the S1
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1pP3N3uPVIQhYYshomAZGhWJjHsNO0I3L

Trying to get some further information tomorrow at IBC.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
3 hours ago, deezid said:

Will receive my S1H on Monday and will test it. Let's hope these two issues are fixed.
Can confirm that the blue channel issue has been resolved already - on the prototype S1H cameras on the IBC at least.

Where did you buy from that it’s already coming Monday?

25 minutes ago, deezid said:

Just received mine.
Blue issue has been fixed but ghosting is still there.

oh my... 

some tests from earlier
Great color, no sharpening, but temporal noise reduction making skin look like it has been shot at 360 deg shutter...
https://drive.google.com/open?id=17B0mlRipdiuG_p3Dg8fwLj-n53ZojieF (download)

congrats am getting mine hopefully nextweek hows overall experience ? ? have you tried 120p slowmo with autofocus?

1 hour ago, Rinad Amir said:

congrats am getting mine hopefully nextweek hows overall experience ? ? have you tried 120p slowmo with autofocus?

1 hour ago, Danilo Del Tufo said:

Hello and congrats! How is the autofocus performance on the S1H? I suppose they have released with the camera the final firmware, so is it better than S1?

No native lens here yet. ;)
Will try some slow motion soon

13 hours ago, Danilo Del Tufo said:

Hello and congrats! How is the autofocus performance on the S1H? I suppose they have released with the camera the final firmware, so is it better than S1?

If it's still based on contrast it will never be as aggod as hybrid systems.

But it's definitely better for image quality.

20 hours ago, deezid said:

Just received mine....
some tests from earlier....
Great color, no sharpening, but temporal noise reduction making skin look like it has been shot at 360 deg shutter...
https://drive.google.com/open?id=17B0mlRipdiuG_p3Dg8fwLj-n53ZojieF (download)

Thanks for posting that. It appears that file is UHD 4k/25 10-bit 4:2:2 encoded by Resolve using Avid's DNxHR HQX codec in a Quicktime container. I see the smearing effect on movement. This was also in the original camera file? The filename states 180 deg. shutter. Can you switch the camera to another display mode and verify it is 1/50th?

I see a lot of "wobble" in this footage (as well as in DPreview and DSLR Video shooter review).

https://vimeo.com/362247050

Maybe electronic stabilization was turned on in addition to ibis?

Except "Kepler 138", I still have not seen any convincing footage from this camera (even the other official panasonic promo ones with 50k $ + rigs and lights look worse than some hobbyist pocket 6k videos you can find on youtube!).

Is raw upgrade really going to improve that ? (maybe EVA users have the answer ? :))

13 minutes ago, wildrym said:

I see a lot of "wobble" in this footage (as well as in DPreview and DSLR Video shooter review).

https://vimeo.com/362247050

Maybe electronic stabilization was turned on in addition to ibis?

Except "Kepler 138", I still have not seen any convincing footage from this camera (even the other official panasonic promo ones with 50k $ + rigs and lights look worse than some hobbyist pocket 6k videos you can find on youtube!).

Is raw upgrade really going to improve that ? (maybe EVA users have the answer ? :))

The camera was just released in the US today, so you really need to give it some time. Pocket 4k had garbage promo videos and took a long time to start getting good well thought pieces, so you need to at least wait more than 24 hours from release. I did think kepler was fantastic though and so was the bowling one. That wobble has to be in software warp stabilizer, none of the footage I have seen online has that happening. I received mine this morning and will put it though its paces. I had a pocket 4k and a pocket 6k. So I will be comparing to those as I still have their original files/clips on my computer. I will be doing all handheld shots with adapted lenses Contax Zeiss lenses. I will report my honest feedback and if the camera does not impress, it will go back.

I have no horse in this race as I only use adapted lenses anyways, so I am not defending this camera blindly. But I will say the footage you linked is pretty much all wide shots, set at infinity, with not much of a grade happening. Most cameras with that won't look impressive. I just think it has not been in enough hands yet to expect great footage yet - especially since good projects take weeks/months. A lot of the folks posting clips up seem to have no idea what they are doing, as they dont even have the proper shutter speed. Give it some time. 

Update: Here are my initial impressions. First off, these are first impressions - they can easily change as I get more real world usage. It could be a rollercoaster of emotions here on wether I am keeping it or sending it back, possibly changing my mind daily. $4,000 is expensive and with the A7S3 looming in the future, I want to make sure I make the correct choice. I will do my best to gather up some footage to share by the end of the weekend. Cameras that I own or have owned that I am comparing against: Pocket 4k, Pocket 6k, BMMCC, A7S2, A7R3. 

Build: I am a new Panasonic full frame user. I have never touched an S1/SR or even seen one in person before my S1H arrived today. I absolutely love the build quality and weight. I am not a fan of super light cameras, though I know some are, as I feel there is too much shake when handholding light cameras. The screen swivel, top status display, viewfinder, buttons, etc., all feel great. 

IBIS: First off, the IBIS is insane. I have never seen IBIS this good and though I am late to the party, I had my holy shit moment for sure. This was a very large reason I bought this camera (asides from its specs). I am a hybrid/ run and gun shooter. Taking my ronin-s with me everywhere is just not practical. I do this is a hobby, with light paid work here and there. I want to be able to do mostly handheld and this is the first time I have used a camera where I feel that is possible for me. It's truly remarkable how far ahead this IBIS in comparison to my Sony. I can't imagine how good dual IS is, as I am just using regular IBIS. 

Footage: Not going to lie, I wasn't expecting much. The promos were good, but they were big budget and used anamorphic lenses. The S1 has limited time with VLOG and is not a very popular camera to begin with, so footage from that is also lacking. But I was honestly...kind of blown away. The colors look fantastic and the highlight roll off is better than that of the pocket cameras. In fact, I like the colors overall better than the pocket cameras - obviously they have RAW out the gate - which is a huge bonus. I like the older Blackmagic colors better then the new ones so maybe its just me. Dynamic range also seems better to me over the pocket. I am really not trying to hate on blackmagic or create a fanboy war - but to my eyes the colors are a bit more neutral, dynamic range seems a bit more, and the OLPF creates a nice softness coupled with my contax Zeiss that is very pleasing. The motion cadence is also very "cinematic" in its movement, MUCH better than that of the GH5 which I hate. Grading was very easy as well. I was not expecting it to look this good and in the right hands, we should seem some fantastic short videos coming out soon. Hopefully I can have one out to share.

Final Thoughts: The blue clipping issue is either fixed or will be fixed and I am sure the ghosting issue will be fixed as well. I did not experience any of these yet, but its just day 1. So far it checks off a lot of boxes for me. Internal 4k 4:2:2 10 bit full frame, IBIS good enough to not need a gimbal in most static scenarios (still need one for lots of movement/walking), good cinematic motion cadence with a subtle softness, great colors, good battery life and a swivel screen. I think like a lot of folks it seems like the perfect camera, minus the autofocus. If I do decide to keep the S1H, only an A7S3 with these specs or better coupled with great autofocus will make me part ways with it. But I am just not sure if Sony can match this IBIS or if they will give their new color science to the alpha series. We shall see!

3 hours ago, kye said:

shot on S1H

Nice find, kye, certainly made me homesick for upstate! :)

Regarding that footage...(amongst the numerous things I'm getting "familiar with" with my S1) I'm trying to work out the "where's" and "how far's" one can utilize the IBIS in the camera. There is a free-floating nature to how the imaging sensor is mounted in the body (whether one is using IBIS or not) and depending on user shake and/or pan speed and/or user jerkiness one can elicit unwanted (corner bouncing) image effects. One shot in particular jumped out at me here at the 3:49 mark (looking out of the lean-to)...

Hiking Alone in the Adirondack Wilderness - YouTube:

...where the frame corners sort of bounce around as the sensor seeks stasis. Clearly IBIS has some caveats (especially with FF sensor size) that I'm going to have to get "familiar with" and learn how to "work with", just another thing to learn with this particular body.

Though, if one could master evoking that effect I'll bet one could create a drunken-woozy slo-mo look to one's footage where needed, kind of like a "rotating a tilt-shift lens" effect only better since it would bounce around based on the physics of it! Ha! Oop, did I just give away a "killer idea"?! ;)