Panasonic S1H review / hands-on - a true 6K full frame cinema camera

Andrew Reid

On 8/31/2019 at 8:49 PM, PannySVHS said:

Jordan from the Camerastore said in his preview, it has a m43 readout mode. Rolling shutter is lower than s35 and of course much lower than in full sensor readout. @deezid, What is your experience with the S1 regarding sharpening and noise reduction in VLOG? Any thoughts on the 200mbit HVEC 10bit 420 for 50 and 60p 4K? Good enough for VLOG?

Absolutely no sharpening at all and only slight hints of temporal but well implemented temporal noise reduction.

A much nicer image than the Pocket 4K sure. Color science is ahead of the pocket 4k as well.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
39 minutes ago, deezid said:

Absolutely no sharpening at all and only slight hints of temporal but well implemented temporal noise reduction.

A much nicer image than the Pocket 4K sure. Color science is ahead of the pocket 4k as well.

what about in comparison to the 6k

2 hours ago, deezid said:

2 hours ago, deezid said:

If by "sharpening" you're talking about the halo thing with BMPCC4k/6K (in comparison to the S1/S1H), I think it's a misleading term, because the footage doesn't have the obvious visible characteristics of video sharpening.  I've never heard anyone else complain of the BMD footage, in your terms.  If it's there, nobody else is seeing it.  Or they attribute the apparent greater resolution of cDNG to false detail.

As for color science -- people will argue.  The reason I offered a version of those two shots in the S1 thread (you did one version, I did another--BMPCC 4K/S1) was to show people that apart from the obvious giveaways, like DOF and coverage, they couldn't tell them apart with even the most rudimentary adjustments.    And we haven't started on the actual grading.

Are there any actual photo's shot with the S1h that we can download somewhere or even see, I know they are orienting it to video, but in the end its a stills/hybrid camera, and there is not one picture on their website? If I would consider this camera it is also because I could have 2 bodies in one. 

21 minutes ago, zerocool22 said:

Are there any actual photo's shot with the S1h that we can download somewhere or even see, I know they are orienting it to video, but in the end its a stills/hybrid camera, and there is not one picture on their website? If I would consider this camera it is also because I could have 2 bodies in one. 

I haven't seen much of anything on its photo capabilities other than a Panasonic rep saying that it can do everything the S1 can do. 

14 minutes ago, newfoundmass said:

I haven't seen much of anything on its photo capabilities other than a Panasonic rep saying that it can do everything the S1 can do. 

I wonder how much softer having the OLPF will really be; because the S1 is stellar for photography, I've really been enjoying it, very detailed imagery, especially at higher ISOs which is always awesome. I'm so used to smudgy, soft, noise-reduction nastiness in low light, I love how sharp and crisp the photos from the S1 have been. 

25 minutes ago, newfoundmass said:

Thx, just checked their S1 photographs. I am prolly a too big of a canon fanboy, but I like the 5D iv photos a lot more, offcourse its not a direct comparison and depends on the photographer, grade. But overal I dig the Canon look more then on any picture I have seen on the S1, but prolly just a personal preference thing. Too bad Canon sucks video specs wise...

the blue channel clipping from cheap blue LED lights is a problem with pretty much all the modern sensors it seems, happens on Sony and Canon cameras too - there's an interesting thread that talks about it on DVxuser, from post #143 onwards, one solution seems to be to change the white balance to 5600k

http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthread.php?365237-C500-MKII-Leaked-on-Canon-Rumors/page8

20 minutes ago, ade towell said:

the blue channel clipping from cheap blue LED lights is a problem with pretty much all the modern sensors it seems, happens on Sony and Canon cameras too - there's an interesting thread that talks about it on DVxuser, from post #143 onwards, one solution seems to be to change the white balance to 5600k

http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthread.php?365237-C500-MKII-Leaked-on-Canon-Rumors/page8

Apparently its only with Vlog not HLG tho

6 hours ago, zerocool22 said:

Thx, just checked their S1 photographs. I am prolly a too big of a canon fanboy, but I like the 5D iv photos a lot more, offcourse its not a direct comparison and depends on the photographer, grade. But overal I dig the Canon look more then on any picture I have seen on the S1, but prolly just a personal preference thing. Too bad Canon sucks video specs wise...

I don't blame you, Canon cameras produce such lovely images without having to do a lot of processing. It's hard to beat them when it comes to images straight out of the camera. 

I think the S1 though is still an excellent stills camera. I've found it to be more pleasing than Sony, for instance. 

17 hours ago, thebrothersthre3 said:

Apparently its only with Vlog not HLG tho

Exactly,...so for the blue channel clipping, yes we have seen this for decades on many camera models. Some camera's are more resistant that others. However, with the S1 and S1H, we are seeing these cameras having an EXTREME sensitivity to blue lights. More than any camera I have ever seen.

Oddly enough, the same blue light test scene is 100% FINE when switching to HLG. And, going further, the exact same blue light does NOT hurt the GH5 VLog-L or HLG. 

Even B&H's S1H promo sales video is riddled with severe blu channel clipping. That was a terrible way to highlight the S1H. Those guys spread blu light all over their shots! If I was Panasonic, I would BEG B&H to take their promo video down!

I "think" Panny can fix this, but of they can't, people MUST know that if you have blue light in your shot, like a stage show or wedding reception...DO NOT USE VLOG....you need to switch to HLG. Once that blu channel gets smashed, it cannot be repaired in post.

We need to raise public awareness about this. If you are doing a paid project, VLog could totally ruin you footage before you are able to switch to HLG.

BE CAREFUL NOT TO GET BURNED BY VLOG!

In a shoot a couple weeks ago, of a bunch of hot air balloons, filming in HLG on the S1, the red channel was completely blown, filming inside of bright red hot air balloons. I was pretty worried at first, but I was able to bring it down to a normal level of saturation without any trouble in post, still a bit strange though, and not something I had really seen from other cameras before. 

5 hours ago, Cliff Totten said:

Exactly,...so for the blue channel clipping, yes we have seen this for decades on many camera models. Some camera's are more resistant that others. However, with the S1 and S1H, we are seeing these cameras having an EXTREME sensitivity to blue lights. More than any camera I have ever seen.

Oddly enough, the same blue light test scene is 100% FINE when switching to HLG. And, going further, the exact same blue light does NOT hurt the GH5 VLog-L or HLG. 

Even B&H's S1H promo sales video is riddled with severe blu channel clipping. That was a terrible way to highlight the S1H. Those guys spread blu light all over their shots! If I was Panasonic, I would BEG B&H to take their promo video down!

I "think" Panny can fix this, but of they can't, people MUST know that if you have blue light in your shot, like a stage show or wedding reception...DO NOT USE VLOG....you need to switch to HLG. Once that blu channel gets smashed, it cannot be repaired in post.

We need to raise public awareness about this. If you are doing a paid project, VLog could totally ruin you footage before you are able to switch to HLG.

BE CAREFUL NOT TO GET BURNED BY VLOG!

No other Panasonic camera with V-Log ever showed this issue. Panasonic really needs to fix this, in case they can't I'll sell my S1 soon. Already ruined some shots and while the red clipping on the pocket 4k IS curable the blue (and yellow) clipping on the S1(H) with V-Log is not.