Panasonic S1H review / hands-on - a true 6K full frame cinema camera

Andrew Reid

There is one thing I dislike about S1H - its weight. Which is 1160 grams. 24-70 2.8 Panasonic lens is 935 grams.. so only with those 2 together we are looking at 2.2 Kilo ? And if you add cage, external montor.. an etc, this setup becomes really heavy and bulky. 

Even Sigma 18-35 + speedboster + Gh5 is around 1.6 kg

Sony A73 + Tamron 28-75 - 1.2 kg

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
3 hours ago, Amazeballs said:

There is one thing I dislike about S1H - its weight. Which is 1160 grams. 24-70 2.8 Panasonic lens is 935 grams.. so only with those 2 together we are looking at 2.2 Kilo ? And if you add cage, external montor.. an etc, this setup becomes really heavy and bulky. 

Even Sigma 18-35 + speedboster + Gh5 is around 1.6 kg

Sony A73 + Tamron 28-75 - 1.2 kg

Have u ever shot with 1dx mii 85mm 1.4l? This combo u mentioned is feather weight 

10 minutes ago, Vision said:

Have u ever shot with 1dx mii 85mm 1.4l? This combo u mentioned is feather wei

Never did and never going too. I have GH5 so I am comparing to what I actually use. Plus I like to use a gimbal once in a while and extra weight there feels very uncomfrotable. So for me persoanlly S1H seems like not the best fit considering my inclination toward traveling and run and gun beeing very heavy and also expensive. Waiting for GH6\AS73 announcements. 

Jordan from the Camerastore said in his preview, it has a m43 readout mode. Rolling shutter is lower than s35 and of course much lower than in full sensor readout. @deezid, What is your experience with the S1 regarding sharpening and noise reduction in VLOG? Any thoughts on the 200mbit HVEC 10bit 420 for 50 and 60p 4K? Good enough for VLOG?

6 hours ago, Amazeballs said:

There is one thing I dislike about S1H - its weight. Which is 1160 grams. 24-70 2.8 Panasonic lens is 935 grams

I always have a 8sinn cage on my GH5S and I also prefer a slightly heavier body. So, the body, with cage is close to 900 grams.

The real weight savings for m4/3 is the lenses. I have:

PL 50-200 655grams

PL 10-25 690grams

With only two lenses I have an enormous amount of coverage (20mm to 400mm) for only 1.3 Kg of lens weight.

Canon 70-200f2.8 is more than 1.3Kg alone. The f4 is close to 850g.

You can go lighter with primes depending on what you need.

When you are hiking up a mountain or lugging around gear, this is where you love m43.

And there are also lenses like the 12-100 F4 from Olympus that are basically the do it all lens at 561 grams.

14 hours ago, Amazeballs said:

Did you shoot handheld run&gun? 

It wasn't run n gun, but we had a long shotlist and a tight schedule. The shoot was 14 hours long. The S1 was mostly rigged on the Ronin S, with dual handle, Tilta Follow Focus, SmallHD monitor and a claymore wireless transmitter. 

I do understand the advantages of shooting with a lighter camera, but my personal preference is different.

1 hour ago, Mmmbeats said:

What are the likely quality differences going to be like shooting 4K at FF, S35, and pixel/pixel on this sensor? 

Noise? Moire? Sharpness? Anything else likely to be affected? 

Leaving aside the field of view and lens vignetting differences, the pixel per pixel is simply that, you are recording the individual pixel of the video frame directly with no subsampling involved. I don't know the specs but the 4k FF  recording probably comes from a 6K/5,9K readout, so you get better quality/improved color. On the other side, since the pixel/pixel recording would have less processing involved, I assume will be a faster reading, so less rolling shutter. This is my assumption.

3 hours ago, Mmmbeats said:

What are the likely quality differences going to be like shooting 4K at FF, S35, and pixel/pixel on this sensor? 

Noise? Moire? Sharpness? Anything else likely to be affected? 

Very interested in the S1 and S1H as S35 camera. Coming from the Canon C100 and having a GH5 with a Speedbooster as well as several Sigma EFS (apsc) lenses this seems the most cost effective root into new gear. I can afford a new camera but not a bunch o new lenses!

Really looking forward to hearing more about this.

3 minutes ago, Mmmbeats said:

Pixel / pixel should be around 2 x crop, right? Also perhaps a little noisy? 

I find Ex Tele Convert (crop mode) footage in the GHx range doesn't always cut well with full sensor footage. It's the noise grain and sharpness that dont always match well. 

This is the kind of stuff I'm interested in as the idea would be to pair the GH5 and S1/H

16 minutes ago, Mmmbeats said:

Pixel / pixel should be around 2 x crop, right? Also perhaps a little noisy? 

I find Ex Tele Convert (crop mode) footage in the GHx range doesn't always cut well with full sensor footage. It's the noise grain and sharpness that dont always match well. 

On S1 and S1H, 4K pixel to pixel readout is the same as S35 mode, it's a 1.5x crop.