Panasonic S1H review / hands-on - a true 6K full frame cinema camera

Andrew Reid

52 minutes ago, Oliver Daniel said:

They must be neglecting PDAF for a reason. I don't think for a second they can't do it. Their cameras are widely accused of this shortfall so they must be listening.  I think they feel they've got something better up their sleeve........

Likely patents.

Why doesn't Panasonic release a CXXX style body? Would love those ergonomics, extra buttons, build-in ND's, ...

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
53 minutes ago, Oliver Daniel said:

They must be neglecting PDAF for a reason. I don't think for a second they can't do it. Their cameras are widely accused of this shortfall so they must be listening.  I think they feel they've got something better up their sleeve........

Ι hope so.

Don't forget that PDAF using cameras are facing stripes in some occasions that the panasonic S are not.

39 minutes ago, Avenger 2.0 said:

Likely patents.

Why doesn't Panasonic release a CXXX style body? Would love those ergonomics, extra buttons, build-in ND's, ...

Well... there's the EVA1 after all... https://pro-av.panasonic.net/en/cinema_camera_varicam_eva/products/eva1/ Interesting to see the S1H literally headlining the pro-av site.

@Cinegain, That guy has a great voice and lovely presence, very relaxing. How nerdy is that, to listen to a camera reviewer rather for the mellow vibes than for infos on cameras:) Would love to see some people to put the S1 and S1H cameras to cinema film use. One of the examples with the two bowlers had massively good color but mushy upload quality.

2 hours ago, Cinegain said:

Good schtuff

Makes you really appreciate how they're listening and providing for their customer base in comparison to say a Canon...

Was just about to post this. Panasonic still segments but without the canon malice.

Quote from Sean that I think sums it all up: “We at Panasonic make incredibly pragmatic products”.

I would agree. Now fix your autofocus!

He also throws some subtle shade towards Nikon about ProRes Raw coming to the S1H.

They clearly took feedback from the G9, S1, and the GH5S and didn’t repeat mistakes. The on/off switch. IBIS with dual gain ISO. The flip screen and tilt screen (give the people what they want). Pragmatic codec on pragmatic media with dual slots. Great battery life.

Why they stay stubborn on the AF is beyond me. It’s better but they are still taking heat from it. They need to knock that aspect out of the park.

50 minutes ago, PannySVHS said:

@Cinegain, That guy has a great voice and lovely presence, very relaxing. How nerdy is that, to listen to a camera reviewer rather for the mellow vibes than for infos on cameras:) Would love to see some people to put the S1 and S1H cameras to cinema film use. One of the examples with the two bowlers had massively good color but mushy upload quality.

Here's the Vimeo version

@ade towell Thanks for posting. I guess I should not mind a bit mushyness. After all, this camera will not lack in resolution, right. :) Color and production quality is up there with the super pros of Hollywood. If they can pull off an interesting 90min film, it would rather be proof of their ability than the cameras quality, which at the moment seems without doubt already. Besides rolling shutter, this looks like the Varicam image. And so should the S1, if the 150mbit codec will hold up for the the big screen.

3 hours ago, thebrothersthre3 said:

Yeah the last shot seemed out of focus or at least the right side 

And to that point, I would love to see more camera manufacturers adopt larger rear screens on their cameras.  Pulling focus on a 3" screen is hardly ideal. And needing to always attach an external monitor is also not a great experience.

8 hours ago, Cinegain said:

Good schtuff

Makes you really appreciate how they're listening and providing for their customer base in comparison to say a Canon...

One of my favorite YouTubers. 

What I thought was really interesting, and encouraging, is that Panasonic themselves had a Sigma lens on the camera. It's one thing to be a part of an alliance, but to feature another company's lens on your camera during a launch event shows me that they really are working together well. I think that's great. 

@DBounce Mystery solved! 

"The S1H also has a small screw on its mount in preparation for future mount adapter designs. This will help prevent focus shift which can happen with a mismatch in adapter and mount tolerances."

Pity it doesn't have something to do with some super-duper secret ND mount thingamajig of some kind. 

12 minutes ago, Parker said:

@DBounce Mystery solved! 

"The S1H also has a small screw on its mount in preparation for future mount adapter designs. This will help prevent focus shift which can happen with a mismatch in adapter and mount tolerances."

Pity it doesn't have something to do with some super-duper secret ND mount thingamajig of some kind. 

Strange this was left off the S1/R?

14 hours ago, Parker said:

@DBounce Mystery solved! 

It also stops a future PL mount from rotating when using a follow focus, no point in having a locking pin in one mount if there isn't one in the other. 

Could be confirmation of a Varicam and EVA L mount is coming, it would make sense for them to standardise on that mount.