Panasonic S1H review / hands-on - a true 6K full frame cinema camera

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
4 hours ago, Vision said:

Thank god for new focus distance 

I absolutely hate the ones on gh5s

Screenshot_20190828-010415_YouTube.jpg

Screenshot_20190828-010428_YouTube.jpg

Why can’t they add this the the Gh5s via firmware? 

6 minutes ago, Mark Romero 2 said:

Do people use manual focus when the screen is flipped forward? 

If they are sitting in one spot, yes. Why would you use AF? Besides autofocus being able to see yourself in the screen helps with framing. AF won’t save your poorly framed vlogging.

3 hours ago, Robert Collins said:

Interesting that Panasonic chose dual SD slots....

Why? Love it. Simple solution with backup capability. No expensive media like CFast/CFExpress/XQD.

57 minutes ago, Mark Romero 2 said:

I'm sure the S1H is an awesome camera.

But I am not sure how one can say that it doesn't need great autofocus, and then say the fact that the screen flips forward is awesome.

Would have been great if the autofocus was better. Just imagine it had DPAF like Canon.
Still very usable for wedding & events (like the GH5 is), but would have killed every other camera if it had better autofocus.

well i am not thrilled

6k is only in 24p so to me it's not really a 6k camera when you can only record one fps. 6k is also only long gop and not all-i

ok it can go 30 in 5.9k but i wish it could go at least 50fps in 6k to call it a real 6k camera, 60fps would be great.

what about the slow mo ? can we finaly choose the settings ?

ibis is great that's for sure but for this price (4k$ body only in the usa so almot 5k in € probably) i would say no and stick with my xt3 as to me it's too much of a pain in the but to swith resolution all the time when i want to shoot at differents frame rates.

i would call it a 4k+ camera

Yeah intrested to see some great narrative/commercial/lit footage with it. The footage may look too clinical, but time will tell. Too bad its only prores raw through external recorder. Also a problem that you cannot even use prores raw in Resolve. So there is no point in even shooting prores raw right now. So BM has got them cornered in that department. 

Kinda sucks that they use SD instead of Cfast though.  

1 hour ago, zerocool22 said:

Yeah intrested to see some great narrative/commercial/lit footage with it. The footage may look too clinical, but time will tell. Too bad its only prores raw through external recorder. Also a problem that you cannot even use prores raw in Resolve. So there is no point in even shooting prores raw right now. So BM has got them cornered in that department. 

Yes not quite sure why SD is a problem, cheaper and reliable, never had one lose footage over the last 10 years or so.

This isn't clinical

Glad I held myself from getting a S1 yet. I am really interested in this camera. A major deciding factor for me would be those apertures on the sides for the cooling system. I hope it's an additional element added on the sealed chassis with a heatsink connecting the inside with the outside. Otherwise it would not be a camera to be used confidentially under bad weather or wind. But if you look at big boy brands like RED, Alexa, most of them have vans and people use them in any kind of environments, from the deserts down to -30 or so.

1 hour ago, zerocool22 said:

For the Gb/money ratio, SD are the best option. If you need huge amount of Gb space, at a certain point it's cheaper to add an Atomos recorder and SSD drives.

2 hours ago, thephoenix said:

(4k$ body only in the usa so almot 5k in € probably)

It's listed at 4000 euro or about 3300 without vat, body only

5 minutes ago, thephoenix said:

better than 5k then but still pricey for what it is to me. guess it will price down in a few

Actually if you count the 200 euro vlog update, this camera is about 1200 euro more than the S1, but if offer a lot more. By the way, I just checked cvp store and there is an offer with the XLR audio module included for free

1 minute ago, 1Ale82 said:

Actually if you count the 200 euro vlog update, this camera is about 1200 euro more than the S1, but if offer a lot more. By the way, I just checked cvp store and there is an offer with the XLR audio module included for free

sure but not fan of the S1 either. good camera for sure but there are flaws that would keep me away from putting money in it like not beeing able to control slow mo settings.

9 minutes ago, 1Ale82 said:

£2999 plus VAT and with XLR module at CVP, that's cheaper than I thought it would be

6 hours ago, Mark Romero 2 said:

Yes.  I saw a vlogger include it in a vlog once when there was a meetup of vloggers and they got someone else doing the focus trick in the background, so they explained it.

You put the camera in AF-S hold the camera up to your face, hold out your arm and flip your hand up (like you're indicating to stop a car) and do a single focus on the back of your hand.  Then set the camera to MF and it will keep the focus you set from this procedure.

The vloggers were all Sony people and they all laughed that they do this secretly to make sure they're kept in focus.  Because they're Sony users and don't have flip screens they can't see what they're shooting, so basically put on a wide angle lens and point it at themselves and over time learn what the composition is like.  They go MF because if you can't compose you don't know what you're pointing the camera at and you also don't know what's in focus and what isn't.

Sony FTW!!

Bloody hell, I think they've almost cannibalised the EVA1 with this (and I'm an EVA1 owner)....... smaller body, IBIS, full frame and Super 35, 24mp stills, better AF and so forth. 

Noticed the 120fps in HD is 10bit too! Still grasping for that perfect 120fps option (Zcam are leading here in this price range). 

This camera looks so close to being a perfect video tool. 

1 hour ago, ade towell said:

Yes not quite sure why SD is a problem, cheaper and reliable, never had one lose footage over the last 10 years or so.

This isn't clinical

This looks pretty good indeed, do you know what lenses they used?

2 hours ago, thephoenix said:

pricewise i wouldn't regret that

Well it depends, for me it does, as I already invested in Cfast like a lot of other cinema camera users. Maybe they could have used cfast to store prores raw internal also instead of atomos recorder(but I guess its more of a licensing issue)