Panasonic S1H review / hands-on - a true 6K full frame cinema camera

Andrew Reid

If you listened closely to the Panasonic presentation ... Atomos was lauded and the upgrade ... Raw mentioned specifically ... was 

discussed as a coming announcement ... no date given. Refer to the stream 8:32 - 9:07 ... definitely stated that Panasonic was working closely with Atomos for HDMI

related Raw output.

Atomos ProRes Raw will help as the 6K / 5.9K 10 bit is 420

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I’m a bit disappointed it doesn’t have internal ProRes 422 as a cinema camera and no 4K 60p 10bit with full sensor.

Otherwise, it’s quite an amazing product in the usual Panasonic buffet of features. I have a feeling future firmware updates will improve upon its features.

Its like the GH5 for full frame. Flip screen screen (and tilt) included WITH good IBIS.

The ball is in your court Sony.

4 minutes ago, nathlas said:

How the hell is advertised as DUST AND SPLASH RESISTANT with those holes on it ? 

Probably the fan blows air from the vents across an external heatsink, not directly over the electronics themselves. The heatsink is likely "external" to the electronics, despite being inside the body of the camera.

1 hour ago, currensheldon said:

Just saw that this camera also has timecode in/out - HUGE. Outside of an internal ND, there isn't much else I'd ask for in this camera. 120fps in 4K would have been nice, but there aren't many cameras that can do that at all under $15k (just Z-Cam?). 

With 400mbps All-I 4K and Timecode, this may be the first mirrorless camera actually approved by the Netflix/Amazons of the world. 

Could that little hole in the lens mount (by the red lower left video record button) be to enable an adapter with an ND inside? That hole is not present on the S1...

A5B99EDE-AFF1-4992-BA8E-24DF50B033A8.jpeg

B7101C82-FE41-4EB3-9D50-999113F12373.jpeg

44 minutes ago, nathlas said:

LUMIXS1H_05.jpg

How the hell is advertised as DUST AND SPLASH RESISTANT with those holes on it ? 

Likely it's a weather sealed "tunnel" with the fan and radiator fins exposed to the air that passes through it, but sealed off from the inside of the camera itself.

Just now, Yurolov said:

Jordan Drake says the full frame modes suffer from bad rolling shutter. Didn't look nice. Shame. With the S1 dropping in price that might be a better value proposition. 

Jordan does NOT say the full frame modes suffer from bad rolling shutter, but what he does say "rolling shutter can still be a big issue, especially if you are shooting the 6K and 5.9K modes, that said however you can swing it over to the Super35 crop which is very similar to an APS-C sensor or the 1:1 which is very similar to Micro Four Thirds and there you are going to get nice quick readout. If rolling shutter is going to be a concern for your shot just switch over to one of those modes".

2 minutes ago, crevice said:

I think what it comes down to is actually even more simple than that - which camera will have the better image? At this point in the race, Sony is close to dead last, if not dead last when it comes to how the footage actually looks - so it's hard to actually say how much improvement we will see with the new A7S. Their colors aren't great and the footage lacks the cinema look that I am seeing from these S1H videos today. Obviously these video today were shot with super expensive lenses and by professionals, but they still look very impressive with great dynamic range, great motion cadence, and great color - with a subtle softness and good highlight roll off. To me that gives a very pleasing cinematic look that I do not have confidence in Sony to nail.

I am curious, who makes the sensor in the S1H? Is it Sony or Panasonic?

I agree with what you are saying but I don't think it's that simple because that's not how majority of people will look at it when making the decision to buy it or not.

Different people have different uses and Sony appeals for a wider public than Panasonic does. Videographers know about Panasonic, but until Panasonic can solve AF, it will be harder for them to be the best selling hybrid camera. Despite the DFD not being that bad as a photo AF, it still gets the bad rep. Even within videographers, Panasonic became a "niche" product because a lot of people now use video AF - since all of the other manufacturers offer at least a decent solution - without the micro back-and-forth DFD has and they are much smoother.

With Sony basically focusing solely on FF, people that can't afford FF or want a more budget friendly solution might go Panasonic but now even Fuji offers a compelling camera for this market as well.

Indeed Panasonic got much better in color - back from that yellow-orange-ish color rendition Panasonic used to have - and now it has a pretty natural and accurate color right off the bat. It got easier to grade and not having 10-bit, kills it for Sony - for those that need it. Regarding the image, Panasonic got so much better and offers much more than Sony does now. But that's not really making Panasonic outsell Sony and I'm pretty sure Panasonic didn't go FF just to keep their niche, they will need to solve the AF if they want to sustain 2 mounts and expand their brand like they say.

25 minutes ago, TheDingo said:

Likely it's a weather sealed "tunnel" with the fan and radiator fins exposed to the air that passes through it, but sealed off from the inside of the camera itself.

Jordan does NOT say the full frame modes suffer from bad rolling shutter, but what he does say "rolling shutter can still be a big issue, especially if you are shooting the 6K and 5.9K modes, that said however you can swing it over to the Super35 crop which is very similar to an APS-C sensor or the 1:1 which is very similar to Micro Four Thirds and there you are going to get nice quick readout. If rolling shutter is going to be a concern for your shot just switch over to one of those modes".

Yeah...I just condensed what he said. And the example he showed was in the 4k full frame mode and it was like jello. Some people might be fine with that. They can look at it for themselves. I just think it is a shame because it will put many people off at that price point. 

Internal RAW would be amazing but A) they're not going to do it and B) they would have to pay tribute to RED.

I really don't like Sony color or physical/menu design but unfortunately clients request Sony a lot from me. I think it has something to do with the success of the FS7, probably because it has 4K slow-mo and the C300mk2 does not. For some reason, the EVA1 has not become popular in NYC (I hear it's more popular in Europe). But either the S1H or the A7S3 will be a B-camera for many users and Sony may be a better money-maker for me... But I love my GH5 and would prefer to stay Panasonic ? or go Black Magic. At the end of the day, though, I may just buy whichever body has the best DR and sensitivity because that's what I really need. If the A7S3 has the best, it would soften the sting of capitulating to Sony.

3 hours ago, Cliff Totten said:

Have they fixed the severe blue light clipping problem that the S1 has in VLog? Once that blue channel is smashed, it's impossible to repair in post.

They didn't, still the same issue. Whenever you see anything blue and saturated, switch to HLG.

4 hours ago, theSUBVERSIVE said:

With Sony basically focusing solely on FF, people that can't afford FF or want a more budget friendly solution might go Panasonic but now even Fuji offers a compelling camera for this market as well.

Sony is far from focusing solely on FF. They've released like 7 APSC cameras in the last 4 years it feels like.