Panasonic S1H review / hands-on - a true 6K full frame cinema camera

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

It's way out of my league pricewise but I think anyone buying it will be pleased ?

Slow motion shooting isn't limited to full auto now, right?

Would also be interesting to see how the 4k60p has improved with the low pass filter over the S1?

2 minutes ago, andjo said:

It's way out of my league pricewise but I think anyone buying it will be pleased ?

Slow motion shooting isn't limited to full auto now, right?

Would also be interesting to see how the 4k60p has improved with the low pass filter over the S1?

Specs are great and all but footage is what gets me excited. You can throw out 10-12-14 bit, etc.,  but if the footage has a sterile look, who cares? So color me impressed that this seems to nail specs AND the footage - the footage I am seeing so far looks looks fantastic. It has a very cinematic quality to it. This could be the camera I am looking for. I use adapted lenses regardless of body, so it would be a body only purchase for me - which makes it less daunting. 

All the different features that Panasonic have put into this camera shows that they know what they are doing - not to mention all of the beefy codecs, frame rates, resolutions, bit-rates, etc. Plus the best IBIS in the game and now some of the finest lenses (their 50mm f1.4 is silly sharp and I'm guessing the 24-70mm f2.8 will be so as well). And with native Panasonic lenses on the S1, the AF is plenty good for many situations.

Somehow, people still say Sony is better with its 8-bit 420 100mbps codec and horrid colors. I really don't get it.

• Administrators
12 minutes ago, AaronChicago said:

Is there a way to turn off internal sharpening?

Yes, you can dial it down to 0 in V-LOG and it looks organic.

1 minute ago, Márcio Kabke Pinheiro said:

The S1h have a low pass filter, is it right?

Yes, it's there to lessen moire, rather than win the 48 megapixel chart test.

Regarding the A7SIII, there are a few things that I think it's highly unlikely that Sony will put on an Alpha camera and top the S1H. It feels like at least a couple of times Sony stepped back and went back to the drawing board for the A7SIII because of Panasonic - it should have been out there already.

I'm pretty sure Sony is still debating if they should or should not put 10-bit 422. Can it record unlimited time? Will it overheat? Can Sony's IBIS match what Panasonic offers? Will it have a fully articulated screen? Can it output a full-size HDMI? Will it record RAW? Maybe Sony will finally use a 10-bit codec but I don't think they will offer unlimited time and better IBIS, a fully articulated screen? I'm not sure either.

I don't think the A7SIII and the S1H will be aiming at the same market, Sony will probably excel the S1H in a few areas like AF, probably full-sensor readout speed and less rolling shutter, maybe a better high-ISO, slow motion and some other sensor-related-tech. The A7SIII will probably be a better A7SII with all the advancements Sony can put in this camera, but I highly doubt it will pack the same kind of feats Panasonic is doing with the S1H.

There was a rumor about Panasonic working with time-of-flight distance AF, which is clearly Panasonic's major weakness compared to all other cameras when it comes to video. Sure, not everybody needs AF and a lot of people still prefers MF but it wouldn't hurt Panasonic if they could provide a comparable AF, at least one that it's there if you need. If Panasonic really implements a better AF, more L-mount lenses, it will be much harder for Sony to keep up with Panasonic if they don't step up in some other areas.

So I don't think that Sony can compete with the S1H in its pros, same way the S1H won't appeal to the same type of crowd the A7SIII, even though the S1 is pretty well balanced all-arounder hybrid camera, until Panasonic figure AF out, a chunk of this market will still be Sony's.

The full V-log implementation it's a very welcomed addition, I really like Varicam's color.

Just saw that this camera also has timecode in/out - HUGE. Outside of an internal ND, there isn't much else I'd ask for in this camera. 120fps in 4K would have been nice, but there aren't many cameras that can do that at all under $15k (just Z-Cam?). 

With 400mbps All-I 4K and Timecode, this may be the first mirrorless camera actually approved by the Netflix/Amazons of the world. 

That’s an amazing camera for sure. They did many things really right. 
I still think lack of good AF is a shame at this price point when Fuji, Sony, Nikon and Canon all have good AF tech now. Personally good AF is a must for my shooting. But I understand it’s not for many. 
Also the camera is too big for my use. Lately I have been shooting with the A7III + Tamron 17-28 2.8 and 28-75 2.8. The Tamron 17-28 2.8 is exactly half the weight of the Canon RF 15-35 and much lighter than the Sony 16-35 F4. 
It still heavy in long days and I decided that combo is my weight limit which basically rules out any camera except the new sigma, the A7, and APSC bodies. 

While not for me, it’s a fantastic job from Panasonic. They do truly put their best possible work on the table, unlike Canon, and that’s great to see. 

7 minutes ago, currensheldon said:

Just saw that this camera also has timecode in/out - HUGE. Outside of an internal ND, there isn't much else I'd ask for in this camera. 120fps in 4K would have been nice, but there aren't many cameras that can do that at all under $15k (just Z-Cam?). 

With 400mbps All-I 4K and Timecode, this may be the first mirrorless camera actually approved by the Netflix/Amazons of the world. 

other than the fs5 with an external recorder and the BM Ursa Mini G2. The Zcam e2 is the 3rd camera under $15,000 than can do 4k 120

23 minutes ago, theSUBVERSIVE said:

Regarding the A7SIII, there are a few things that I think it's highly unlikely that Sony will put on an Alpha camera and top the S1H. It feels like at least a couple of times Sony stepped back and went back to the drawing board for the A7SIII because of Panasonic - it should have been out there already.

I'm pretty sure Sony is still debating if they should or should not put 10-bit 422. Can it record unlimited time? Will it overheat? Can Sony's IBIS match what Panasonic offers? Will it have a fully articulated screen? Can it output a full-size HDMI? Will it record RAW? Maybe Sony will finally use a 10-bit codec but I don't think they will offer unlimited time and better IBIS, a fully articulated screen? I'm not sure either.

I don't think the A7SIII and the S1H will be aiming at the same market, Sony will probably excel the S1H in a few areas like AF, probably full-sensor readout speed and less rolling shutter, maybe a better high-ISO, slow motion and some other sensor-related-tech. The A7SIII will probably be a better A7SII with all the advancements Sony can put in this camera, but I highly doubt it will pack the same kind of feats Panasonic is doing with the S1H.

There was a rumor about Panasonic working with time-of-flight distance AF, which is clearly Panasonic's major weakness compared to all other cameras when it comes to video. Sure, not everybody needs AF and a lot of people still prefers MF but it wouldn't hurt Panasonic if they could provide a comparable AF, at least one that it's there if you need. If Panasonic really implements a better AF, more L-mount lenses, it will be much harder for Sony to keep up with Panasonic if they don't step up in some other areas.

So I don't think that Sony can compete with the S1H in its pros, same way the S1H won't appeal to the same type of crowd the A7SIII, even though the S1 is pretty well balanced all-arounder hybrid camera, until Panasonic figure AF out, a chunk of this market will still be Sony's.

The full V-log implementation it's a very welcomed addition, I really like Varicam's color.

I think what it comes down to is actually even more simple than that - which camera will have the better image? At this point in the race, Sony is close to dead last, if not dead last when it comes to how the footage actually looks - so it's hard to actually say how much improvement we will see with the new A7S. Their colors aren't great and the footage lacks the cinema look that I am seeing from these S1H videos today. Obviously these video today were shot with super expensive lenses and by professionals, but they still look very impressive with great dynamic range, great motion cadence, and great color - with a subtle softness and good highlight roll off. To me that gives a very pleasing cinematic look that I do not have confidence in Sony to nail.

I am curious, who makes the sensor in the S1H? Is it Sony or Panasonic?