Are anamorphic's days numbered?

Ben Prater

Not really. You can already crop really if the aspect ratio is all you are after. Anamorphic is much more than that.

As resolution increases on sensors, the need for anamorphic is somewhat diminished though, no? As long as you can get a good crop, without loss of res.  I

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I cannot for the life of me understand why the words 'cinema' and 'iphone screen' are being used in the same sentences in this topic.

Anyone who deems watching a movie on an iphone screen as acceptable isn't going to notice the difference anyway.

When I go to the cinema I like to see the curtains widen just before the switch from the shitty 16:9 projector used for trailers, to the proper projector with some curved glass o nthe front.  

I find that the aspect ratio fits narrative action better and gives the characters more room to move. I was reminded of this a little while ago, before I was even shooting with anamorphic lenses, when a client came in asking for interviews shot at 4:3 rather than the usual 16:9. I used to shoot 4:3 all the time, but it was weird going back and it was difficult to frame the subjects in a way that I felt good about. Now I feel the same way shooting in 16:9 during my day job rather than 2.35:1 or 2.55:1.

I think that for most people like myself who go through the trouble of shooting with anamorphic lenses, it's less about aspect ratio and more about aesthetic. There's simply nothing else that looks quite like it (well, Rich's FlareFactory lenses do come pretty darn close but I don't think of them as anamorphic; they are something else entirely). Not everyone will be able to tell the difference between spherical footage and anamorphic footage. But for me, once I was able to spot it, I was hooked.

Also, I certainly don't mind the ability to shoot at higher resolutions while taking up less card/disk space. 

I've also found that you can get some strange effects when using an anamorphic, which you just will never be able to replicate with a spherical lens.

But in the end there are just as many good films shot with spherical lenses, as there are with anamorphics - its an aesthetic thing, not a necessity.

Oh, the horizontal flares are certainly not the reason i love shooting anamorphic, in fact i've spoiled some lovely shots with them & more often than not they look tacky or forced.

Each to their own, if you don't get it, don't worry about it!

I cannot for the life of me understand why the words 'cinema' and 'iphone screen' are being used in the same sentences in this topic.

Anyone who deems watching a movie on an iphone screen as acceptable isn't going to notice the difference anyway.

When I go to the cinema I like to see the curtains widen just before the switch from the shitty 16:9 projector used for trailers, to the proper projector with some curved glass o nthe front.  

Exactly, if someone is watching my content on their phone, chances are I don't give a shit what they think  :)