Flash for noob?

Henry Gentles

Can anyone recommend a dirt cheap flash for a Canon 600D? There are so many and so many prices. atm I am a very poor fulltime Film Student so I was thinking a good cheap chinese Flash Unit with a few bells and whistles. I'm not a pro photographer but need something that works well 5 or 6 times per year, if you get my drift? Thx!

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
I recently bought a couple of Yongnuo YN568EXIIs and I've been very impressed with how they compare to my Canon 550ex. Build quality is okay, not quite as good as the Canons but totally acceptable. In operation though they are great. They aren't exactly dirt cheap but I know Yongnuo do make some much cheaper flashes that would be worth checking out.

Thanks, everyone seems to like the Yongnuo on youtube. What about this one? It is cheaper and claims to have more features? http://www.ebay.com/itm/TRIOPO-TR-981-High-Speed-Flash-Speedlite-1-8000-For-Canon-as-Yongnuo-YN-568EX-/290907160231?pt=Digital_Camera_Flashes&hash=item43bb6afea7

May not last you as long, but the quality of light will probably be about the same! I'd say pick one up and just try it out. Stick it in TTL mode and practice bouncing it off walls and ceilings on to your subject. 

I was scared buying my first flash, but the moment I stuck it on and took my first bounce flash portrait, the way I photograph things literally changed overnight. Let us know if you have any more questions after picking up a flash, and feel free to send me a message if you have any more specific questions as this is a more video-oriented board. 

As a few others have said, have a look at the Yongnuo models - I've got 2 of the YN-560 II models and had them for nearly  year now with very little hiccups. Battery life can be a burden at times, but I just tend to use good-quality re-chargeable batteries and it works a charm! Never used any other flash models, but I've been told that the quality of the Yongnuo flashes is not much different to the Canon's - very powerful too!  :)

• 2 weeks later...

As a few others have said, have a look at the Yongnuo models - I've got 2 of the YN-560 II models and had them for nearly  year now with very little hiccups. Battery life can be a burden at times, but I just tend to use good-quality re-chargeable batteries and it works a charm! Never used any other flash models, but I've been told that the quality of the Yongnuo flashes is not much different to the Canon's - very powerful too!  :)

Can vouch for the power. I was in a pitch black room (literally) and with the highest setting on the YN560II, I only needed ISO600 with f4.0 and ss50 for a slightly overexposed picture. Was pretty shocked.