Sony Nex 7 and video resolution.

brychan.r

The Sony Nex 7 has a large sized sensor with 24 megapixels yet the video does not appear to benefit in anyway when compared to the Nex 5N with 16 megapixels. Further when using the video in 50 or 60 fps the data rate is only slightly higher than in 25 fps - not double as one might assume. Is there any possibility perhaps via a hack of making more use of the sensor to produce higher quality video as with the GH2 ? In addition i understand that when downsampling much of the colour information that would be found in a still is discarded in video and becomes 4 0 0 not 4 2 0 or 4 2 2 . Is there anyway to retain that colour information ? Do these limitations really need to be there or is the sensor and the processor capable of producing a higher video quality ? Any ideas on this would be appreciated especially as to whether the Nex 7 has the potential to be extended by a hack just as the Gh2 has or is that camera unique in this respect ?

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
The GH2 has a very good resolution because of the way it down samples of from the sensor and nothing really to do with the pixel count. In actual fact the idea pixel count for the sensor would be the same as the video output resolution as with broadcast video cameras. In short the GH2 has great down sampling that creates sharp pictures and the hack helps to stop that detail being lost in the compression. The nex5n/7 doesn't downsample so well so there is only a limited amount of detail a hack (if ever available) could pull out.

Not sure what the trade off on quality is with 28mbs 60/50fps compared to 24mbs 30/25fps but you certainly don't need twice the bit rate for twice fps as frames aren't encoded separately but in groups.

Denham

Thanks Denham for an excellent comment.

The Sony Nex 7 format in many ways is the camera i am looking for but i am not confident that the video quality is quite what i am looking for:

It doesn't have a powered zoom and manually moving the lens without disruption seems quite difficult. i am not sure (as i have only tried it out in a shop) that it is possible to pan the camera when auto focus is switched on without a sharp and noticeable slight judder during the refocus. Does anyone have any experience of this or any advice on this point?