Sign in to follow this  
Muttondraw

Why I don't follow Philip Bloom any more

I love his reviews, they are very considered and incisive. I am not that keen on his Twitter style, lots of click bait and irrelevant content, but some useful information so I continued to follow him. I don't any more though because he just blocked me. I don't think I said anything terrible I just took issue with the way he dealt with David Stripinis so I criticised him for swearing and name calling. He argued with me for a bit.. or rather he ranted and didn't address anything I said. Then he blocked me. Oh and then went through and deleted any of his posts that might have made him look bad.

Not especially impressed.

Why does he react so badly to criticism? It made me think of all the other stories I have heard about Philip Bloom and not taken much notice of. Thats why I wrote this... to add to the canon.

Martin

EOSHD Pro Color for Sony cameras EOSHD Pro LOG for Sony CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I think it's more the case that the internet makes twits of us.

Philip is actually a really nice guy... I think.

I suspect he is a decent enough guy. He just starts by assuming any criticism is an attack and then battens down the hatches, defences on full.

Muttondraw, your experience does mirror mine pretty much to the tee. But I think the reason he reacts to criticism badly is that on the internet it's hard to tell if the criticism is meant as disapproval of the opinion or disapproval of the individual themselves and all they stand for.

In real life when a friend thinks I am speaking shit, I don't mind at all because I know that it's just an opinion that divides us and that fundamentally it is friendly fire and we're not sworn enemies out to take each other down.

But on the internet we all are behind these avatars. It's more militaristic.

I don't agree with a lot of stuff in the Bloom universe but looking back on my own experiences with arguing on Twitter with him and being blocked (still to this day) I still blame the system more than I blame the man.

I love his reviews, they are very considered and incisive. I am not that keen on his Twitter style, lots of click bait and irrelevant content, but some useful information so I continued to follow him. I don't any more though because he just blocked me. I don't think I said anything terrible I just took issue with the way he dealt with David Stripinis so I criticised him for swearing and name calling. He argued with me for a bit.. or rather he ranted and didn't address anything I said. Then he blocked me. Oh and then went through and deleted any of his posts that might have made him look bad.

Why does he react so badly to criticism? It made me think of all the other stories I have heard about Philip Bloom and not taken much notice of. Thats why I wrote this... to add to the Canon.

Martin

You sound like a whiner and a gossiper.

Please shut your mouth, open your aperture, and do something productive!

The point is in the post, it's just to have a voice.

I am not really wanting to have a go at Philip as such, I am just frustrated that he doesn't actually engage because he treats a criticism as an attack. I think Philip does lots of great stuff that's what makes it all the more frustrating, there is always a lot to be gained by engaging with someone who has a different opinion from ones own.

There is a huge difference between a constructive criticism and trolling, I fail to see that my posts on Twitter could reasonably be considered to be trolling but please have a look at the thread and call me out if you think I am wrong. I am very happy to justify anything I said, and to accept I am wrong if a reasonable case is made against it.

It was actually Philip who couldn't take an alternative opinion. David's original criticism was reasonable, I don't think he was right but it was a reasonable criticism.

I notice in this thread there are a number of posts but Andrew is the only person who has actually engaged with me.

I notice in this thread there are a number of posts but Andrew is the only person who has actually engaged with me.

Because we don't want to engage in pointless gossip. This forum is for the discussion of dslr filmmaking, not a soapbox for personal whining cause some guy blocked you on the twitters.

This thread is completely unnecessary.

The point is in the post, it's just to have a voice.

I am not really wanting to have a go at Philip as such, I am just frustrated that he doesn't actually engage because he treats a criticism as an attack. I think Philip does lots of great stuff that's what makes it all the more frustrating, there is always a lot to be gained by engaging with someone who has a different opinion from ones own.

There is a huge difference between a constructive criticism and trolling, I fail to see that my posts on Twitter could reasonably be considered to be trolling but please have a look at the thread and call me out if you think I am wrong. I am very happy to justify anything I said, and to accept I am wrong if a reasonable case is made against it.

It was actually Philip who couldn't take an alternative opinion. David's original criticism was reasonable, I don't think he was right but it was a reasonable criticism.

It wasn't reasonable at all. Philip was asking for help with a charity endeavour and David was being a total dick.

This thread should be deleted. 

Who gives a crap? Hes just a man. Let him live his life while you live yours. He offers great information for free. If you don't like the way he does it move on. 

All in favor of deleting this thread say I 

Why does he react so badly to criticism? It made me think of all the other stories I have heard about Philip Bloom and not taken much notice of. Thats why I wrote this... to add to the Canon.

Martin

And now you bring the bitching here? Get over yourself!