New Sony A7, A7R and RX10 - exclusive hands-on look at video quality

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Andrew, any thoughts on how the A7r will compare to the FS100 on dynamic range, noise, and in low light?  I'm looking for something smaller, if its comparable I'll be making the jump.  From the lone low light exterior sample, highlight rolloff looks better than the fs.

I also attended Photoplus Expo.  There were no SD cards allowed, but I sneaked it into an A7R and recorded AVCHD video.  You can view and download the AVCHD files from Vimeo:

A7R w Canon 24-70mm F2.8L Metabones EF to E-Mount Adapter

https://vimeo.com/78036080

A7R w Zeiss 55mm F1.8 E-Mount

https://vimeo.com/78036081

interested to see it is an mts file and 29.97fps..  since the avchd doesnt have a 30p option. Which avchd mode was used?

@richg101 It is an MTS file and it is 29.97.  I just used the 1080P option with manual focus.  Hard to understand the different modes, I think it might be "FH".  I believe it is the best bit-rate mode.

I like the Zeiss too.  Very nice and it looks like the new Otus 55mm F1.4.  But the prices on these Zeiss lenses are just incredible!  Good thing the E-mount is like Micro 4/3rds - mount any legacy lens.

One short question: Is it really true that there´s also a 29 minute limit on all these new Sony cameras?

I am very interested in the RX10 - BUT I also need shots with more than 29 minutes (continuously). =/

Political issue,  rather then a technical issue.  It is a requirement demanded by the EU  (European Union) from what I understand, for those living in Europe.  I might be wrong, but, that's what I heard/read somewhere.

Jerry read what I said a few posts above about the AA filter.

An AA filter doesn't operate in the lower frequencies of low resolutions like 1080p, it only has an affect at 36MP, which is why they removed it - to sharpen up the 36MP stills.

What does have an impact on moire in video mode is the 34MP you literally throw in the bin to get down to 2MP for 1080p, by line skipping and pixel binning!!

Thanks much for that clarification on the AA filter.  Given my limited knowledge on some video concepts, I am not sure of what you mean by your second statement about impact on moire in video mode.... and to throw in the bin to get down to 2MP for 1080p.    Anyway, I will trust your reviews and that the A7r is better for video versus the A7.

Political issue,  rather then a technical issue.  It is a requirement demanded by the EU  (European Union) from what I understand, for those living in Europe.  I might be wrong, but, that's what I heard/read somewhere.

The EU has a 4.9% tax on imported camcorders. A camcorder is defined as a camera that records HD video for 30 minutes or more. The camera manufacturers prefer to keep their prices that few percent lower by either restricting their cameras to only shoot video for 29'59" (Canon, Olympus, Sony) or like Panasonic produce a PAL model with the limit and an NTSC one without. 

• Administrators

interested to see it is an mts file and 29.97fps..  since the avchd doesnt have a 30p option. Which avchd mode was used?

Those files are interlaced 60i according to my system. VLC has haircombed playback but fine in Premiere.

• Administrators

Thanks much for that clarification on the AA filter.  Given my limited knowledge on some video concepts, I am not sure of what you mean by your second statement about impact on moire in video mode.... and to throw in the bin to get down to 2MP for 1080p.    Anyway, I will trust your reviews and that the A7r is better for video versus the A7.

Moire is an interference pattern, which happens when you take out pixels and move unrelated pixels next to each other in the 1080p after the pixel binning from 36MP or 24MP down to 2MP.

I didn't really read up on the other two Sony cameras but the RX10 doesn't use line skipping and moire/aliasing seems to be pretty under control.

Andrew posted about it HERE.

Yes, RX10 should be very good in moire/aliasing, but I was interested to know about A7.

By some unknown reason cameras with smaller sensors usually have fast readout and less line-skipping, but aps-c and full frame use a lot of line-skipping causing heavy aliasing.