Sign in to follow this  
anax276

Best affordable 27" display for video editing?

Hi!

I am an amateur (but passionate!) filmmaker and would like to buy a display/monitor for video editing. Colour accuracy is of course important. I don't earn my money with video editing, so I don't want a high-end professional, x000 € expensive monitor, but something in the range of 600-900€ would be possible.

Which 27" display would you recommend? Or are two 24" displays better (ergonomically)?

Thanks!

EOSHD Pro Color for Sony cameras EOSHD Pro LOG for Sony CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

agreed,  specifically I would get the dell U2713H, cost a bit extra but superior for color critical work.

I just bought one a few weeks ago, its great. I recommend buying an x-rite to collaborate it as a

grading monitor is only as good as it is accurate.

I use a Dell U2711, and it's very good

currently collaborated to RGB. Depends on the output for the project though.

I forgot to mention, yes  you will want a second monitor, it can be a piece of crap cheapo 19", doesn't matter, just

somewhere to put the scopes, knobs and dials out of your way. Thats how I work anyway.

Paulio so would you recommend RGB over REC 709 for web delivery. And what is you brightens for your monitor set to i find dell pro monitors to be way to bright even at 50% My is down to 30%.

Thanks sorry to hijack the post

anax276 i got U2410 for 400 and it is awesome monitor i am not big in to 27 size i have second Lg 24 and it works good just calibrate the monitor with i1 display pro it makes all the difference. Ans u2410 comes calibrated out of the box but over time that will shift.

Thanks guys

Honestly I'm really not a colorspace or color grading expert, just googled enough to get what I need done, so I suggest doing your own research. rec 709 is a hdtv color space I believe, and sRGB is the colorspace used by most browsers. If you want to properly calibrate your monitor you will need dedicated hardware, I beleive xrite color munkey or a spyder are affordable options. Yes Dells come pre-calibrated and way too bright.

i dont know anything about color work but the thunderbolt display is definitely glossy as heck. obviously thats a separate issue from color accuracy

i was browsing in an apple store the other day and i found that thankfully the last year of imacs have screens which are significantly less reflective than past models, or my 2011 mbp for that matter, so thats progress, but if i got an imac i assume id need an additional monitor for serious color work? or no?

mind you i have no idea what im talking about

edit: i realize the op is looking for a monitor, not a computer like an imac, srry dont mean to derail this thread 

I think the big apple displays are the same panels as the dells, just glossy and more expensive...

This could be applied to all apple computers. Glossy, more expensive (for the same performance) but easy to use!

I hear their cinema displays are quite good for CC work.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By julienajarry
      Hey all! I want to share this trailer for Sennheiser's Pro Talk Season 2 I shot using a Sony FS7, A7iii and A7sii.
      Two weeks before the shoot I decided I wasn't happy with my current slog3 workflow and wanted to change it up. I found Pro Color V3 (at the time, V4 was not out yet) and gave it a shot. I loaded it up on the A7sii and A7iii, barely made a few tweaks to both to match them up, give me a great result and bam. I was sold. I then created a preset in FCPX (yea I edit on FCPX for now) that took my FS7 slog3 footage and popped it into Pro Color V3 matching the other two cameras perfectly. So my new flow is like this, Pro Color on the A7 series cameras and the FS7 shoots slog3, I then match the FS7 to the A7 series cameras in post and work from there. The reason why I needed Pro Color in my life was because I had these beautiful little A7 series cameras but couldn't use them to their full (small) potential shooting slog3. I didn't want to have to tote around an external monitor, etc. There's a lot more to say but I'll leave it at that. Way more to come. Enjoy.

• By julienajarry
      Hey all, jumping right in here on the forums to share my work shot using Pro Color!

I've come from the Canon world but now love my Sonys. Pro Color was a God-sent and I am fully embracing it!
      More to come but in the meantime please see this short video of a buddy of mine fishing shot handheld on the new Sony A7iii using a Nikkor 35mm f1.4 ai-s and 105mm f2.5 ai-s. V3 Pro Color was installed on the camera as at the time of filming V4 was not yet out. I applied a Lut of mine, Tenkara, you can grab from my website.
      Thanks Andrew for making these killer profiles!

• By Bradley Bjornstad
      Hello all. I am selling my Atomos Ninja Flame set. Very nice set. Has only 15-20 hours of use. Extremely clean, and well maintained. I treat all of my gear with care and respect. This is a beautiful set! Almost like-new! $795.00 - plus shipping (insured at full $795). PayPal only.

It's hard to part with the recorder, because it is a great tool, and an amazing monitor - but all my main cameras have 4K built-in now, and I just never get to use it. I want it to go to a good home, where it will get a lot of use.
      Includes: Atomos Ninja Flame monitor/recorder, Hard case, NEW sun hood, original set of 5 master caddies, original charger, (2) original Atomos batteries, docking station, HDMI cable, original manual, NEW microfiber cleaning cloth, coiled D-tap to DC cable (never used), 2 power cords (one hasn't left packaging), Control Cable (2.5mm Female to 2x 2.5mm Male). Check out the pictures and see how well maintained and what a deal this is!

Thank you for looking and best wishes!

• By Calum MacPhail
      Built from Adafruit parts, this is a very high quality 9.7 inch display for PC or Mac, based on a Retina iPad Screen. Ideal for photographers, graphics designers, app and web designers and videographers, with its compact size, great colours and dynamic range.

This is a 2048x1536 retina, ultra-high pixel density, IPS display that can connect to any computer with a Thunderbolt/DisplayPort port. This product comes with a new 9.7" diagonal TFT display module (the same one used in the iPad 3 & 4), along with a custom made driver board, a wire monitor stand , 5M DisplayPort cable and 9V power adapter.

From the Adafruit Site:

"The driver board is a work of art (it was designed by resident engineer KTOWN) - and we use the really awesome LT3754 as a 12-channel constant current driver with individual backlight string channel control. This gives the backlight perfect consistency over any usage or temperature range. A ATtiny85 handles the backlight dimming and soft on/off, so you can PWM the backlight over a range to get the look you want.

Use as a main screen or even better, as a secondary monitor. Great for photo or video editing - you can use a large main monitor for frame-by-frame editing and then preview on the smaller side frame. Or keep your email or dashboard notifications on the side. Heck, web-devs will want to use it to preview what their sites will look like on a "Retina" display. The 9.7" screen is small enough to keep out of the way."

The main parts originally cost:

1 x LG LP097QX1 - iPad 3/4 Retina Display[ID:1751] = $99.95
      1 x Qualia Bare Driver Board for LP097QX1 Display[ID:1716] = $79.95

And after adding the display port cable, stand and power supply (as well as shipping (30 dollars ), the total cost was well over £150.
      I'm looking for £70, including UK postage. Shipping from Glasgow, Scotland.

Please feel free to ask me any questions you may have

Calum