Detailed Panasonic GH4 rumoured specs - 10bit 4:2:2 and 4K video

Andrew Reid

If all this turns out to be true then it's great news, they're taking it all very seriously.

Well they need to really, otherwise they'll be left behind in a kind of neither-here-nor-there space...

So if it's all true, good show Panasonic, you'll make me a new customer I'm sure.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

All I can say is that it better have a relocatable grip with hand strap - similar to c100/300 series - simply put, more ergonomic.  Think there was even a patent out a few years back by Panasonic that showed a camera with a grip that extended out, maybe rotated.

It is so un-ergonomic to hold any still camera to your face for so long.  There is a major bend in the wrist for this to occur. Less so with tilting viewfinders (like GX7).  Without holding anything, move your right hand near your face as though your are holding a SLR style camera.  Then rotate your hand as though you are holding a camcorder to your face with the hand through the hand strap.  Which feels better?  Now imagine the hand in the camcorder strap could be moved lower to not need to be so close to your face - even more ergonomic!

What are the requirements for electronic ND?

Few cameras have it but it makes a world of difference so I'm just trying to figure why there are not more cameras with that, even more the ones made for video, when you wouldn't want to increase the shutter for most situations.

Was just thinking about if they were to incorporate an ND, how could they do that.  Doesn't the $2k AC90 have one of these electronic NDs?

Shhhhiiiit.... If you pack these specs in a Gh body I can walk around with for $3k, let's do it. This whole 8 bit thing needs to just go away
Though. Seriously. The technology is there. Just, be done with it already. I hope by the end of next year i never see that spec on an announcement again, because to me, what's the sense in packing a camera with a 4k, 200+ Mbps codec and bottle necking it with 8-bit? So you can see all of that banding in pristine quality? (1-DC?).

Why? AF series ergonomics are outdated. Small cameras is where it's at. Just look at the Epic. Easier to rig and easier to customise. More stealthy too. The only thing I miss from the AF100 is the built in ND filter. Exposure is important. Every camera should have it.

Who says?  As a pro operator I'm REALLY fed up with the obsession to pack everything into a tiny space.  The ergonomics of the AF101 are vastly better than rigging up a DSLR and watching bits drop off it. It's size was right for handheld or tripod / slider work and the buttons and inputs made sense to anyone who's operated a video camera. Almost every time I go on a DSLR shoot, something breaks, from HDMI cables to monitors dropping off rigs.  DSLRs are great for walking around getting GVs without permission, but useless for almost everything else.  Why Panny have abandoned the AF line is a complete mystery - if they were to put this rumoured GH4 into the same body as the AF101 I'd buy it in a heartbeat, and pay twice this rumoured price at least - so would many others.

Who says?  As a pro operator I'm REALLY fed up with the obsession to pack everything into a tiny space.  The ergonomics of the AF101 are vastly better than rigging up a DSLR and watching bits drop off it. It's size was right for handheld or tripod / slider work and the buttons and inputs made sense to anyone who's operated a video camera. Almost every time I go on a DSLR shoot, something breaks, from HDMI cables to monitors dropping off rigs.  DSLRs are great for walking around getting GVs without permission, but useless for almost everything else.  Why Panny have abandoned the AF line is a complete mystery - if they were to put this rumoured GH4 into the same body as the AF101 I'd buy it in a heartbeat, and pay twice this rumoured price at least - so would many others.

The other big rumor from Panny is a super-35 announcement at NAB to officially replace the AF-100 and rain down on the Cinema EOS Line like a hate crime. (Which, spec wise, the GH4 will do as well if this is what it gets). - but the NAB announcement is probably the one you're looking for.

Why? AF series ergonomics are outdated. Small cameras is where it's at.

Yes this is true, but the Lumix line is too consumer centered, when i think on a AF replacement i'm talking about a new body, smaller and slimmer, something like the KineRaw mini or Digital Bolex, i'm a FS100 design body lover, i know almost 99.95% of people hate it, but to me have a perfect size for what it is, even Blackmagic was after a unconventional design, ok it don't work very well at first but a least they're changing things.

Well, thinking it twice maybe this can be feasible, Canon have 1DC, right? Sony will launch a 4K alpha camera (last year NAB they have a prototype), so? make sense that Panasonic will launch a 4K camera in a DSLR body, but i don't know if the Lumix line will be good for this, just that.

The Varicam?  Maybe, but I'm thinking that's going to be much more in line with the F5 or C500 price-wise. Plus they've been showing that mockup at trade shows for two years now whilst the rest get on with putting their to market.  Sadly I think Panny's share of the pro video market is slipping into the ether.

I rate the rumor high as well. Been waiting for this to break.

What I really want to know is, will it be switchable to a 4:3 aspect ratio?

I know this request from the pro community was lodged with Panasonic. I just hope they implemented it.

Like Andrew and many other anamorphic zealots, I'd be very, very happy to finally shoot ~2.35

Keep us posted, Andrew.

Thanks

Well you could rewind Bloom's argument to the standard def era and say you absolutely must have 1080p but don't need it, shoot 480p.

Practical considerations over creativity.

Creativity is about discovering the new technology and applying it in interesting ways. I can see that if you turned up for a spec shoot for a client and they only needed a 480p master, it would be silly to take your 1080p camera to the job and that is really what Philip Bloom is getting at. Nothing more.

True, we could take it to that extreme but I think his point was more along the lines of shooting quality content within reasonable workflow contraints.  That rang true with me as I've gained more experience working with clients over that last couple of years.  I did not mean to imply we don't need progress in imaging, the pressure needs to stay on Mfrs and we should support the disruptive companies with our wallets when they succeed at delivering a good product.  The GH4K will be an ideal tool to add to the toolbox if it delivers overcranking and 4k together with good color space, reasonable bitrates and workflow...  I'd love for my GH3 to meet his big brother.

One thing Bloom said he liked about shooting with the 1DC was the ability to frame interview footage in such a way that he could creatively extract HD from different framing vantages in post.  That sounds like a very practical way to utilize 4K in such a way that boosts the quality of the content produced vs. simply upping the resolution of everything for the sake of sharpness alone.  If this "luxury" is bestowed upon us for a fraction of the price of the 1DC, it will be an even more exciting time to be a filmmaker!

lets be realistic this wont have a built in ND - its a consumer Pansonic Product ...just getting 4k is great Im not complaining ,

The NDs go in your matte box - on the end of your lens - haha!

If a $1200 Sony RX10 can have built-in ND filters, I don't see why it's impossible to expect it in a $3K camera specifically made for professional audio/video output.  Do you really think XLR connections are a feature of consumer cams??

Built in ND's are one thing i do miss coming from the C100. Going to the BMCC was a hike in the image but a trip to the damn Stone Age
At the same time, lol. You could be setup for a shot with the C100 in no time. Normally i'd not give 2 sh-ts about whether a cam had "built in"
ND's until I got to use them in practice. That little feature just glides right into your workflow like it belongs there, and you miss it when you don't have them. Plus, GOOD ND is REALLY f'n expensive. I'm talking Schneider, B+W, Heliopan. It friggin blows swapping step rings, and stacking.
You're just f'n around for 5 more minutes! That's not very run & gun for sure. I'm not big on Variable ND's either.