Morning stroll with a Trump and Iscorama

Rob Bannister

This is shot using the D800, DSO Trump FF58 with Oval aperture, the new flare sex filter and towards the end the Iscorama 1.5X anamorphic lens mounted inside the Trump for a 2X oval bokeh.

https://vimeo.com/76912854

Some images of the trump I'll grab one with the iscorama in there too.

10261400895_9cdaf5f69c_z.jpg

10262555743_e9ddaa8164_z.jpg

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Thanks guys I love this lens. If you havnt gone out and gotten one what are you waiting for. I'll be putting together a thorough review ASAP. The creative options this lens provides is incredible. Also I guarantee that the Oval Apertures in this guy are worth more then fighting with all the lower end anamorphics or paying the crazy prices for some of the other offerings. Also if you are going for the Trump ask the guys about getting on the list for the new Flaresex filter. Its sweet and I'll be reviewing that soon as well.

Thanks for checking out my little test video

Rob

Lovely stuff mister Bannister.  -As always.  And great to see you shoved the iscorama into the front too.  was that using the 1.5x oval to get 2x oval result?

re. wider focal lengths.  Indeed this is an issue that is being resolved, however the upcoming wider lengths are more of a companion type set to the existing 58mm.  the 58 being the 'go to' beauty lens, then the 35 and the short tele being for the additional angles that a 58 wont cover, but that will give a nice matched aesthetic to the 58mm. 

The fact is, the double gauss (6 element) 'planar / biotar' type lens configuration is the most agreeable lens formula when it comes to the mods I'm applying optically.  

To me the only real solution is if metabones were to take advantage of the smaller sensor of the pocket, and the lack of fast, exciting and also wide lenses for it.  And create a ultra strong focal reducer/speed booster that would shrink the full frame (or at the very least s35/apsc) image circle onto a 16mm sensor.  gaining maybe 2.5 stops, and obtain the fov we expect from the type of lenses most of us are using on cameras in the price range of the pocket etc.

I've been dealing with a very well regarded optical designer who is working on a prototype medium format to full frame focal reducer for DSO.  And have also thought about a lo-fi full frame to s16mm focal reducer concept (around 0.4x if my memory serves me).

With Speed Boster we get a 102mm FF eq. Good for portrait :P hahah that's wha I want 28 and 35mm lenses from DSO soon ;)

Bang on.  I think it would be more like 112mm f1.4 on m4/3 equiv.  It's a beautiful 'beauty / money shot' fov and dof blend as Hugo Goudswaard demosnstrated with his Trump58 on a gh3 (which the pocket effectively becomes in fov terms when a speed booster is added into the equation).:-   

http://vimeo.com/70412767

obviously he had infinite space behind him to allow for the fov limitations, and he was not working to a deadline with a nasty branding manager on his back, asking for wide shots etc, but i think he demonstrates what can be done when you make do with limited resources and a beautiful subject/theme.

With Speed Boster we get a 102mm FF eq. ... I want 28 and 35mm lenses from DSO soon ;)

And 82mm in cinema terms.  

I'm looking forward to something from them in the wide end too but there's just not really anything that's a wide equivalent (below 35mm) to the Helios to use as a base lens that has its unique qualities of ubiquitousness, cheapness, quality and quantity.  

edit: I wonder if it would eventually be doable that DSO take orders with donor lenses sent in to be either rebuilt or re-coated to match the FF.  Somewhere I saw a video of this Samyang 8mm fisheye that, on the BMPCC, only looks like an ultra-wide and would be an ~16mm in cinema terms and that's nicely wide.

edit2: how about a DSO edition Sigma 18-35mm for a speed-boosted 25-50mm cinema FOV covering the majority of shooting focals for narrative, using the FF58/Trump58 for close-up and compressed beauty wides and mediums and then just wanting, but not necessarily needing, an ultrawide.  Donor lenses sent in, of course.

@Rich - would the Iscorama 54 fit in the recess of the Trump and does/could it have a 77mm thread on the front?

I'd buy it in a flash if this was possible, as i will still be using my 60D after i get the Pocket - I mean why wouldn't I?

I'm just waiting for the EF to M43 speedbooster & the Pocket (of course!) & i'll be happy to use a 58mm+anamorphic with the SB.

The Helios 58mm is my goto lens & also my Helios 85mm - it just doesn't get any better than these 2 lenses.

As far as a 35mm is concerned, I think the Mir-24 would be a good lens to adapt.

(Personally i've never bothered with the whole FF equivalent nonsense! On my APS-C I know the FOV a 58mm lens gives & that's the important thing - that's my sensor size & that is that. This is also made null'n'void by the fact that i've always got an anamorphic paired with my lenses). 

@Rich - would the Iscorama 54 fit in the recess of the Trump and does/could it have a 77mm thread on the front?

I'd buy it in a flash if this was possible, as i will still be using my 60D after i get the Pocket - I mean why wouldn't I?

I'm just waiting for the EF to M43 speedbooster & the Pocket (of course!) & i'll be happy to use a 58mm+anamorphic with the SB.

The Helios 58mm is my goto lens & also my Helios 85mm - it just doesn't get any better than these 2 lenses.

As far as a 35mm is concerned, I think the Mir-24 would be a good lens to adapt.

(Personally i've never bothered with the whole FF equivalent nonsense! On my APS-C I know the FOV a 58mm lens gives & that's the important thing - that's my sensor size & that is that. This is also made null'n'void by the fact that i've always got an anamorphic paired with my lenses). 

The integral hood/reflector bevel on trump was always designed to allow fitting of the iscorama and iscorama 36 while maintaining full frame / 5k/6k RED use without vignette.  As you will know, your iscorama 54 can be used in two ways

1. with the thread extender tube (which encapsulates the rear optical module meaning the rear element is flush with the rear 67mm? thread)

2.  with the extender tube unscrewed to expose the sticking out rear module and a 77mm? thread - similar set up to a iscorama 36 which needs a tube to allow attachment to a taking lens since the thread on the 36 is not flush with the rear optic..

If you can take a side on view of your iscorama 54 with a steel rule in shot it will allow me to determine if the 54 will physically fit deep enough allowing the rear element to be sat deep enough into the TRUMP to allow no vignette.  on full frame it will be hit or miss whether it vignettes, but on aps-c i imagine there will be no problems.

also, I'd be interested to see your support of the 54 to see if the trump would interfere with that.

If required, the new front rehousing section of the upcoming 35mm trump is shorter and could be used on a 58mm to allow an anamorphic to sit slightly deeper into the body.  Since each lens is made to order, its also possible to hand machine the body parts too accommodate. 

And 82mm in cinema terms.  

edit2: how about a DSO edition Sigma 18-35mm for a speed-boosted 25-50mm cinema FOV covering the majority of shooting focals for narrative, using the FF58/Trump58 for close-up and compressed beauty wides and mediums and then just wanting, but not necessarily needing, an ultrawide.  Donor lenses sent in, of course.

good points.  The sigma has come up a few times as a possible.its begging to be done, but  the problem is these modern lenses are not designed or manufactured with easy aftermarket repair in mind.  I'd love to open one up and see all the lovely brass parts you get in old zeiss and olympus lenses from the 70's and 80's, but unfortunately in things like modern lenses like samyang, sigma etc there is a remarkable amount plastic used for the mechanics, which just doesn't take well to deep disassembly and rebuilding.:(

Exactly and also you just wont get the look we all crave out of it easily. there are tons of old Zeiss and Nikkors out there and other glass that will do. 

I actually sent my pocket camera back because Id rather put the money on a camera that allows me to use the lenses I currently love like this Trump. Id be happy with a full DSO kit that has the range that a lomo anamorphic kit would have. 

35 2X = 16mm range

50 2X = 24-25mm range

75 2X = 35mm range

100-135 2X Current Trump :)

I'm looking forward to something from them in the wide end too but there's just not really anything that's a wide equivalent (below 35mm) to the Helios to use as a base lens that has its unique qualities of ubiquitousness, cheapness, quality and quantity.  

Have you tried the Mir10a 28mm? not a lot wider I know but a little. I just got one, pretty nice lens, very solid and definitely has some of that russian magic. Not quite as plentiful and cheap as the helios though. I got a set of russians 25, 35, 58, 85, 115. I would LOVE to give them all the DSO treatment!

I have done the calculation with 50mm! Your lens is 58mm sorry :P and I have done it for the pocket!

58 x 2.88 (bmpcc crop factor) x 0.71 (speed booster) = 118.5mm :)

I ask the guys at metabones, if they can create a medium format to m4/3! I have great MF glass... image using all the lens circle, and all the stops advantage! hehehe :)

Exactly and also you just wont get the look we all crave out of it easily. there are tons of old Zeiss and Nikkors out there and other glass that will do. 

But are they as good at what they are as the Helios is prior to DSO?  I have the Nikkor 24mm f/2 and for its time it was the fastest lens in that size made by Nikon until recently.  The going rate for 20+year old copies like I have is over $300 used and it's not as good at being a 24mm as the Helios is at being a 58mm, putting aside the DSO process.  I used to really like it, until I got my F.Zuiko 50mm and had to cut close-ups shot on that lens with wider shots on the Nikkor, revealing just how bland it is if I'm not shooting anamorphic.

I was just thinking pragmatically, given the image quality of the Sigma zoom (though knowing all that plastic makes for a crap time of it) and placing more of an emphasis on matching coating and color to the FF58, since bokeh isn't going to be nearly as relevant on a wide.  Definitely not ideal I'm just anticipating a $1000-2000 donor otherwise.

Absolutely stunning stills you posted, btw.

good points.  The sigma has come up a few times as a possible.its begging to be done, but  the problem is these modern lenses are not designed or manufactured with easy aftermarket repair in mind.  I'd love to open one up and see all the lovely brass parts you get in old zeiss and olympus lenses from the 70's and 80's, but unfortunately in things like modern lenses like samyang, sigma etc there is a remarkable amount plastic used for the mechanics, which just doesn't take well to deep disassembly and rebuilding. :(

Yeah, the plastic casing is a drag.  I've never tried to disassemble a lens before though.  Looking at my older, all-metal lenses, mostly Nikkors and Olympus, they look held together by magic to me in any case.  I was, I guess wrongly, assuming they all came apart rather easy if you had the right "key" or some other mechanism.  

I love your suggestion for a deeper power speed booster.