What's next after the $200 camera challenge?

kye

What's next after the $200 camera challenge?  

24 members have voted

1. 1. What type of event would you enter?

• I'd only enter if it was a competition and had a prize - give me the CASH!!
    • The prize of eternal fame and glory is enough
    • No prize, no winners, let's just make films for fun and we can all talk about it after the deadline
    • No prize, no set time, no winners, let's just make films for fun and people can enter whenever they have time
  2. 2. What is the purpose / objective?

• To get the best image quality
    • To get the best cinematography
    • The best story
    • Everything goes - it's the whole package that counts
  3. 3. What type of rules would you like for equipment?

• Everyone has to use the exact same equipment
    • There's a budget restriction
    • Use whatever gear but there's a restriction like only one lens, publish in 720p
  4. 4. Should there be a theme?

• No theme, film what you want
    • Yes, but keep them general, like films have to use yellow or be B&W
    • Yes, but they should be specific, like they have to include an object, or there is prescribed dialogue
    • We should have really specific requirements, like everyone makes the same script, or shot-list, etc
  5. 5. Should the equipment be discussed?

• Yes - we list equipment when we share our video
    • Yes, but only after the event has finished
    • No, it's about art and equipment is a distraction
  6. 6. Should there be any restrictions?

• There's a restriction on making it, like you have to shoot and edit in a set timeframe
    • There's a restriction on the final product, like it's a 2-3 minute film
    • Other restrictions, like has to be a single shot, or only overhead angles, or something else specific
    • No - give me liberty or give me death!!

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
38 minutes ago, Andrew Reid said:

How about a $50 challenge?

Wow..  such a huge budget!

That is a cool idea :) 

51 minutes ago, Avenger 2.0 said:

No 'last place has to sent their camera to winner' and I'm in!

I must admit that that part of the challenge played on my mind quite a bit too ???

12 minutes ago, Grimor said:

My vote id's for GH2 and Helios challenge!! 

Cool idea, but GH2s on ebay are still pretty pricey, for those of us that don't have one already.  Luckily I already own two Helios lenses AND a m42 speed booster, so naturally I would win.

6 minutes ago, Adam Kuźniar said:

I'd love to see a prompt, or a theme. 

Like "there's only one thing" or "make it sideways" or something like that. Something that can be interpreted in many ways.

The "like everyone makes the same script" option was a real example from a short film event of some kind where the organisers wrote a script, IIRC 10 groups each made a 9 minute version of that script, and they showed them back to back in the cinema as a 90-minute film.  It was great because the script was really quite vague in places, so could be interpreted in many ways.

One interpretation was a Japanese horror version in a train where one of the characters was the reflection in the mirror of one of the other characters who kind of gradually went insane.  Other films included radically different genres and styles, but they were all word-for-word the same script.  It was quite something.  

Unfortunately, me, my sister and her friend were the only ones in the theatre for the session.  It meant we could talk if we wanted to, but I don't know how the finances of it worked out. 

15 minutes ago, kye said:

The "like everyone makes the same script" option was a real example from a short film event of some kind where the organisers wrote a script, IIRC 10 groups each made a 9 minute version of that script, and they showed them back to back in the cinema as a 90-minute film.  It was great because the script was really quite vague in places, so could be interpreted in many ways.

One interpretation was a Japanese horror version in a train where one of the characters was the reflection in the mirror of one of the other characters who kind of gradually went insane.  Other films included radically different genres and styles, but they were all word-for-word the same script.  It was quite something.  

Unfortunately, me, my sister and her friend were the only ones in the theatre for the session.  It meant we could talk if we wanted to, but I don't know how the finances of it worked out. 

Yeah but a script requires a lot more work to write.

25 minutes ago, Shell64 said:

Let’s do a phones only challenge. And you can only use the default camera app!

I like this, but if you have additional accessories... you should be allowed to use it???

And, I think we should allow more than just the default app, because there are other free apps available.

• Administrators

I'm in favour of keeping it a cinematography challenge, instead of a test of scriptwriting skill or something else.

Happy to do another one.

The more limits, the more creative.

A phone challenge might be an option. I have my RED Hydrogen at the ready ;)

1 hour ago, mkabi said:

I like this, but if you have additional accessories... you should be allowed to use it???

And, I think we should allow more than just the default app, because there are other free apps available.

You are right.  We could allow different apps. 

• Super Members
55 minutes ago, Andrew Reid said:

A phone challenge might be an option. I have my RED Hydrogen at the ready ;)

What a fanboy ;) 

3 hours ago, Adam Kuźniar said:

I'd love to see a prompt, or a theme. 

Like "there's only one thing" or "make it sideways" or something like that. Something that can be interpreted in many ways.

Might I suggest the phrase "bite their hand off" then as this was somehow able to be interpreted by someone one the Micro camera thread to mean something so bad that they down voted me for saying it.

5. Should the equipment be discussed?

(...)

Yes, but only after the event has finished...

Really?

Where are the other people addressing it here?

But actually just an absence of respect for this community instead, from a few of the contenders lacking a mandatory care to comply the whole thing, after all...

So, people should detail it to begin with whether published in the front page or later by our host Andrew.

5 hours ago, Emanuel said:

5. Should the equipment be discussed?

(...)

Yes, but only after the event has finished...

Really?

Where are the other people addressing it here?

But actually just an absence of respect for this community instead, from a few of the contenders lacking a mandatory care to comply the whole thing, after all...

So, people should detail it to begin with whether published in the front page or later by our host Andrew.

I shot with the Yi Camera... what exactly did you want to discuss about that camera?

1 hour ago, mkabi said:

I shot with the Yi Camera... what exactly did you want to discuss about that camera?

But you already did it before... I meant a couple of them : ) One has now posted. Still misses one though, so far. Rules are rules, apply everyone : -)

themed  that gives everyone a common place to start, perhaps the winners of the last challenge could pick a theme, that frees up andrew from doing all the thinking. Im in favour of using cameras but could use a phone as well i guess.

13 hours ago, BTM_Pix said:

What a fanboy ;) 

Might I suggest the phrase "bite their hand off" then as this was somehow able to be interpreted by someone one the Micro camera thread to mean something so bad that they down voted me for saying it.

you got 92 likes double the nearest person, you needed some down voting ?

So, in-line with whats winning right now, how about a challenge where we:

• play for fun and glory
  • can only spend $50 for a camera body
  • can only use the Helios 58mm F2 Russian lens (but speed boosters are allowed)
  • there would be a general theme
  • equipment is secret until the judging is over
  • the schedule would be:
    • a time period where people can order their equipment and have it shipped
    • then we announce the theme and everyone has something like a week or two to make their film
    • then judging like last time 
    • then we reveal equipment and shooting tips etc.

I'm up for that :)