Canon removing 24p from new 4K mirrorless cameras - THE MEMES

Andrew Reid

4 hours ago, Cliff Totten said:

Its not funny. A Canon rep told there is a legitimate reason for no 24p. He said something about the way the sensor is read out. He said that Canon wants it to operate at a perfect temperature. It runs too cold at 24p, but is at an optimum temp at 30p. It was done for the benefit of the camera.

That is not it. It is a cost saving measure to improve their margins on consumer products which are becoming increasingly pressed by alternative competition such as from cell phones.

They will never tell you that however, instead they will tell you some bogus technical "reason" so you will stop asking why.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
7 minutes ago, Mokara said:

That is not it. It is a cost saving measure to improve their margins on consumer products which are becoming increasingly pressed by alternative competition such as from cell phones.

They will never tell you that however, instead they will tell you some bogus technical "reason" so you will stop asking why.

Cost saving how? It is likely just a compiler flag they set when compiling the firmware. Don't think it requires much testing.

55 minutes ago, Emanuel said:

Where exactly? I am not Italian but I can tell you there's no one Italy, but much distinct ones... As much as many places ; )

You instead risk to be killed at the hands of a gang in LA if you go for a walk in certain parts of the town and you pick up a T-shirt to dress with the wrong color. I can assure you this won't happen in any place in Europe as far as I know or had heard about. There's no even (we will) mention mass shootings, go figure... ; -)

No you won't. If you look like a rival gang member, maybe, but gangsters are not so stupid as to think a tourist is a rival gang member.

In Europe try dressing up in ethnic clothing and go for a stroll in some right wing neighborhood, see how well that goes down. Don't think you are immune from that kind of shit.

3 minutes ago, Avenger 2.0 said:

Cost saving how? It is likely just a compiler flag they set when compiling the firmware. Don't think it requires much testing.

No, there is hardware associated with it, it still requires development resources to implement and it will have licensing costs associated with it. 

We are not talking about a lot of money here, but it is probably more than enough to exceed any losses they might incur for omitting it. If you are running off narrow margins cutting frills that otherwise cost you money is important.

Canon's recent marketing strategy (last decade) has been driven by scarcity, manipulation and fear. This is NOT how you attract customers or create brand loyalty. With so much emphasis on post-processing these days even their color science will not save them. 

I'm an architectural photographer who bought my first Canon 30 years ago and was loyal up until recently because of the quality optics and especially the tilt-shift lenses. And yet, here I sit waiting for my Panasonic/Lumix S1 to arrive.

1 hour ago, Mokara said:

No you won't. If you look like a rival gang member, maybe, but gangsters are not so stupid as to think a tourist is a rival gang member.

In Europe try dressing up in ethnic clothing and go for a stroll in some right wing neighborhood, see how well that goes down. Don't think you are immune from that kind of shit.

It is not what I've heard about...

Right wing neighborhood? Really? Mention one, please?

If you mean Neukölln in Berlin and the most recent news, have you ever been there?

Maybe better to ask to Andrew about it who has lived in the town?

We're speaking about a large area, a middle town inside the big capital as matter of fact. And plenty of a multicultural atmosphere BTW, don't compare German organisation (i.e. order and discipline) to any other in any part of the world.

There, rules the law, the ruler rules.

Just two cents of Euro coming from a former foreigner inhabitant in German sovereignty

(it's all a matter of that, whether in 30s of a century ago or nowadays; pools hint wherever you are, not else, I'd be much worried if I'd be living in the other side of the Atlantic today... ; )

6 hours ago, Cliff Totten said:

Its not funny. A Canon rep told there is a legitimate reason for no 24p. He said something about the way the sensor is read out. He said that Canon wants it to operate at a perfect temperature. It runs too cold at 24p, but is at an optimum temp at 30p. It was done for the benefit of the camera.

So what temperature SHOULD Canon cameras be used at?     Does it void the warranty if used at other temps?

1 hour ago, MediaMan said:

Canon's recent marketing strategy (last decade) has been driven by scarcity, manipulation and fear. This is NOT how you attract customers or create brand loyalty. With so much emphasis on post-processing these days even their color science will not save them. 

I'm an architectural photographer who bought my first Canon 30 years ago and was loyal up until recently because of the quality optics and especially the tilt-shift lenses. And yet, here I sit waiting for my Panasonic/Lumix S1 to arrive.

I love Canon tilt shift lenses and the 17 is my all time favourite lens but for me, it works much better on Sony E mount than any Canon DSLR camera I have used and I guess the same will be true for other mirrorless cameras for which smart adapters are available.

11 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

With the EOS M6 Mark II now uncomfortably close to the Canon C500 and several Netflix shows on the verge of cancelling their Arri Alexa orders for a diminutive $700 mirrorless camera, Canon felt compelled to lose the cinema frame rate of 24p.

? 

This post was a genuinely funny read. Adequate tone for the decision made by Canon (if it really gets confirmed in the next few days).   

Way more healthy to just laugh at this. And I say that as a Canon shooter who hoped to replace the M50 with one of these... 

Hope dies last, but it dies... ?

One thing I can't understand is why Canon keep doubling down on stupidity. Earlier today I visited the Canon eStore to see if any info re the new EOS M6 Mark II had been released.

I noticed that the site was pushing a camera model I've never seen before and didn't know existed - the Rebel T100, which is going for $379.99 (in Canadian dollars) and includes a kit lens. I also noticed that virtually everything listed for sale on the site can be financed through a company called Paybright, with payments running over 12 months and an APR of about 14%.

A lot of items are on sale, too, with some relatively deep discounts.

Now here's where I think the 'doubling down on stupidity' part comes in. No other camera manufacturer I know of needs to resort to using a third-party lender to help them move their product. No other camera maker is making super low-end cameras at a super-cheap price to collect a few nickels and dimes from the bottom end of the market. No other camera maker is resorting to a virtual blow-out sale to move product.

Yet Canon still insist on bringing out crippled camera models that don't sell that well, and overprice the non-crippled products (EOS R, I'm looking at you) and lenses and then wonder why their sales revenues have dropped 64%, but keep running blow-out sales for some products and use third-party financing.

There's a huge disconnect here.

• Super Members
10 hours ago, wolf33d said:

I can’t wait for @Mattias Burling to tell us how great the camera is. You know it’s all about the image. Forget the specs.

The Canon mojo!!

Please don't try and drag me into your sad little fanboy rants. The only thing I care less about than specs are trolls like you. 

16 hours ago, Cliff Totten said:

In the past Canon gave us overheating. 

In 2019 Canon has gone boldly where nobody else has gone.... and offered us underheating!

11 hours ago, Mokara said:

No, there is hardware associated with it, it still requires development resources to implement and it will have licensing costs associated with it. 

Since you obviously know exactly what's inside a typical Canon camera of this class, could you please explain what extra hardware is associated specifically with providing 24 fps frame rate video capture and encoding (that wouldn't also be used for 25p and 30p)?

P.S. I'm a very experienced electronics design engineer, so I can probably understand the technical detail you might provide...

13 hours ago, Brian Williams said:

I was there two years ago, my 73 year old Dad got pickpocketed within the first few hours, lesson learned!

I am Italian but when I was an exchange student in the states, I was living in a rural area not far from Detroit and people warned me several times not to go to some places in Detroit. If I sum up all the advices, I would say that probably 25% of Detroit was a "no go" zone. On the contrary, in the place where I was staying people were going to the mall leaving their car unlocked. Some Brits told me the same about places in the Southern suburbs of London.

What happened to your dad can happen in many places in the Western World, regardless of the country you are in.

15 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

I am curious to know the story behind the Italian one. Did the old dictator have a bit of a stroke or just out of it on drugs?

He was not a dictator. Andreotti was a major player in Italian politics since WWII and elected several times with the Democtaric Cristians, once one of the major parties.

Anyway, if you want something funny about him, he had a hump on his back. He occupied the same seat in the parliament for so long that the seat assumed the shape of his hump.

13 hours ago, Garug said:

People who need 24p can afford cameras that have it.

Oh, yes, absolutely! Anyone who really needs 24p can probably afford to shell out for a second-hand 550D, maybe even a 60D if they really feel like splashing the cash.

Or they could buy, you know, literally any camera from any of the other DSLR/mirrorless manufacturers out there.

3 minutes ago, David Bowgett said:

Oh, yes, absolutely! Anyone who really needs 24p can probably afford to shell out for a second-hand 550D, maybe even a 60D if they really feel like splashing the cash.

Or they could buy, you know, literally any camera from any of the other DSLR/mirrorless manufacturers out there.

?

They might announce a 'filmmaker' addon license key for $499 that includes 24p, all-i, c-log & 4k dpaf ?

• Administrators

The situation is worse for US users than for Europeans and PAL shooters, because I can't see anybody in the US wanting to switch to PAL mode and shoot 25p, with the interference pattern and banding under certain light sources that brings, and the loss of 60p. Constantly switching back and forth between PAL and NTSC is a ballache, especially if camera requests card format like Sony.

It may be that YouTubers are all shooting 30p and Canon is only listening to the market, but I don't really believe for a second that this is anything but a cripple to protect higher-end 4K cameras from Canon including EOS R.

Same situation on the GX7 III and new G5X II as well, only 30p and 25p on those.

Let's hope the death of 24p doesn't become contagious and other brands start doing it.

Canon set a bad example for the entire market.