another original anamorphic lens from China!

solo

Here we go!

"We are proud to announce that I am testing anamorphic Lenses for DSLR ! They will work on Full frame like 5D MKIII and crop 1.6 Like 7D. The Lenses line are named "LEONARDO Project 1" - They will be 35mm , 50mm and 72mm. Also a Zoom is work in progress. Please stay tune for more info! They are lenses designed in US and produced in China (Collaboration between "EMBASSIES OF CINEMA (US) & TREVOR TECHNOLOGY CO. LTD (CHINA)"

http://vimeo.com/77200331

From their instagram (http://instagram.com/leonardo_corbucci):

"Here the first official picture of our ANAMORPHIC DSLR LENSES prototype that I am testing! :-) we are manufacturing good anamorphic lenses for DSLR under $2k each! (Release Summer 2014 by Embassies of Cinema)"

[attachment=706:3e2ce470328d11e3ab1722000ab69985_8.jpg]

"Anamorphic DSLR Zoom! Prototype just arrive from the research laboratory! I am exited! I feel like James Bond of Filmmaker!"

[attachment=707:7e55a194391411e3896422000a1fb003_8.jpg]

:rolleyes:

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Its not to stop everyone from trying just it would just be nice if people would just stop cutting corners and only going for the superficial reasons for shooting anamorphic. Its not something anyone should jump into, I think its amazing that this method has resurfaced after being a work around to get more detail on the film negative. In doing so we got amazing things like the horizontal flares and oval bokeh. Other things like getting a wide and tele feel in the same lens resulting in a more intimate image to your viewer. Wides often alienate the viewer and anamorphic kinda solves this along with tons of character. 

Anyways these are the reasons why slrmagic, letus and this dont really interest me. My thoughts on this set up are yes it looks like the Panasonic adapter, it also sufferes from the terrible edges and awful distortion even at longer focal lengths. The flares look ok but the lens was mounted lopsided so it wasnt very..horizontal. and lastly being a 1.33X I guess is that the bokeh is not very great. For 2k there are plenty of great deals to be had that have more character and better aesthetics.

I know they are all a lot more expensive but having an iscorama I may be a bit spoiled. Also having used a wonderful Lomo I just cant see using anything less. its not apples to apples or anything but compare what you are trying to do with the Girl and a gun lens tests of the hawk 74 series lenses. Not saying I want that for 2k but if you can even reproduce 10% of that you would have my attention.

Oh and one more thing its not to toot DSO or Rich and Hans horn over here again and again but the Oval aperture, added with there upcoming Flare lens paired with beautiful glass in there Trump series is far more appealing then cheap anamorphics. the look can be much better I think anyways. 

He who wishes to be rich in a day will be hanged in a year

leonardo da vinci

grasshopper

my child 

you name this in honour of a god who fell to earth.

leonardo of italy.

i call it panasonic japan.

you name your plastico fantastico

your

wing yip

your long dong of china.

as tribute to a man sent from the stars

mighty leonardo da vinci.

ohhhh

ohhhh

to be damned with such faint praise.

poor leon : (

tferradans, on 20 Oct 2013 - 03:06 AM, said:

WTF?!
That's just a Panny in front of a 24-70 or 16-35! Nothing new there...

hush now that is falsehood.
this is more of the original china new.
if you do not believe this is new then you are a racist see :D just like me.
i am told i am a blind hater of the asia new .
a crusty old fuck livin in the past.
whats his beef.
just jealousy blind to modern superior marketing quality.
so hush now for

the future is bright and it is china..
at the moment they are eating old anamorphic japan.
but soon they will start to eat themselves.
can ya smell it?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WKk3k1MgDhs

forget the edges that is a given.
but why keep the lip.
the all around front shit lip.
why not flat front.
does that make sense is that to some clear?
the all around front lip or lens shade as panasonic called it is shit.
so china why keep it.
if your gonna mould plastic spend thousands.
why mould an exact copy of a turd.
why not mould a heart shape.
everyone loves a heart even vampyre.
everyone loves love even hollywood satanists yes no.

so melt some plastic into the shape of a great big heart.
make it red.
make it light up and glow turn off and on.
call it not leonardo
but mighty jumbo long dong schlong.

Its not to stop everyone from trying just it would just be nice if people would just stop cutting corners and only going for the superficial reasons for shooting anamorphic. Its not something anyone should jump into, I think its amazing that this method has resurfaced after being a work around to get more detail on the film negative. In doing so we got amazing things like the horizontal flares and oval bokeh. Other things like getting a wide and tele feel in the same lens resulting in a more intimate image to your viewer. Wides often alienate the viewer and anamorphic kinda solves this along with tons of character. 

Anyways these are the reasons why slrmagic, letus and this dont really interest me. My thoughts on this set up are yes it looks like the Panasonic adapter, it also sufferes from the terrible edges and awful distortion even at longer focal lengths. The flares look ok but the lens was mounted lopsided so it wasnt very..horizontal. and lastly being a 1.33X I guess is that the bokeh is not very great. For 2k there are plenty of great deals to be had that have more character and better aesthetics.

I know they are all a lot more expensive but having an iscorama I may be a bit spoiled. Also having used a wonderful Lomo I just cant see using anything less. its not apples to apples or anything but compare what you are trying to do with the Girl and a gun lens tests of the hawk 74 series lenses. Not saying I want that for 2k but if you can even reproduce 10% of that you would have my attention.

Yes, yes you are spoiled. I was looking for an Isco and I couldn't find one when I was willing to spend upwards 8000 on one just to get my hands on one and it simply could not be found at the time. I had to settle on a Panasonic LA7200 because that's the only thing I could find anywhere in a timely manner.

Forget budgets, even on a time crunch you can't get your hands on decent ones. Consider yourself lucky.

Wow so they are copying Letus for 3 different focal lengths, copying Panasonic's LA7200 down to a T even with the damn smearing on the edges of the frame.  Just amazing what's going on.  And will it be even cheaper quality plastic?  Maybe plastic lenses too?  Give it to the Chinese they sure know how to copy things...

Well I guess my idea of rehousing the taking lens and the anamorphic together caught on. I will rush my design and buy up all SUN anamorphics I can find and sell the rehoused stuff for 1K. I will be rich. Market it as a whole new design with the intention of vintage look and retro flare.

I am glad that anamorphic lenses are being produced, just don't try to fool anybody. At the very least make it look different. Make it durable, metal. I think it would be very nice if this "new" lens properly mention what it is. Say that it is a Zeiss Jena taking lens and a Pana anamorphic paired together in a beautiful, sturdy body. No alignment issues and such. Just don't try to market it as a whole new deal.

rant over.

Tony I cannot take you serious on that point. You did not bring your a idea to the right end. The problem is not the lip!

We live in exiting times - some say great things are happening!

Thats right: I have a patent application to solve the problems of blurred edges on all cheap anamorphics forever. I am working on a 

plate with a perfect circle cut out. This will be painted black and masks all the blurry parts from the picture.

I am still waiting on the prototype from the research laboratory. I am looking forward for your input and suggestions. 

How about round TVscreens? "The revolution could be televized"! 

Rudolf, on 20 Oct 2013 - 2:35 PM, said:

plate with a perfect circle cut out. This will be painted black and masks all the blurry parts from the picture.
I am still waiting on the prototype from the research laboratory.

great times.

the best ever we have never been so free.
so blessed with such rich bounty.
but
please sir no plates,pipes kitchen or plumbing parts.
it is cinema godamit.
so why not curtains like the movies.
black velvet drapes to cover the chromatic putrefaction.
9volt battery to open and close the bent view area.
i can see it
i can see it
i cannot see it
not.
open and shut velvet plastic case.
solved

please sir i want some more...

oliver twist

they feed you.

provide your poundland treasure

and you fat suckling pigs

what do you do

just moan

and groan.

now listen

animals.

eat you gruel for it is written

that this is new

and can be yours forever.

and all for under 2k.

Well I guess my idea of rehousing the taking lens and the anamorphic together caught on. 

I don't think you were the first person to come up with this concept.  Every anamorphic lens ready to fit to a camera comprises a taking lens and an anamorphot.  it's all very well rehousing something into a new body, but for your concept to work you'll need a taking lens with a matching rotational focus direction and throw and a helicoid pitch to co-incide with the focus attributes of the anamorphot.  The reason LOMO's work is that the rear part has the same focus throw and a helicoid pitch to ensure the elements travel in unison when coupled.  I imagine you'll have to put $5k into paying someone to prototype a custom helicoid specifically for the SUN anamorphic.  I'd recommend you select something higher quality like a kowa 8z before investing big money into making a 16mm SUN anamorphic lens usable as a all-in-one lens. 

This chinese lens will be a lot simpler, and no doubt be a straight copy of a la7200 bolted onto a cheap 50mm f1.8 lens.  the focus will stay fixed on the la7200 clone and therefore will never be optimal for any focus distance - and will be particularly bad in close focus terms.  on anything but m4/3 the edges will be horrific at anything faster than f8.  

$5K to cut a helicoid seems a bit stiff. I have had 4 starts cut for a fraction of that cost to 20 micron tolerance.

Matching optics is a bit of a black art, if you're pushing a purely mechanical solution there is a tear down to view below

However it must be said that an electro-mechanical solution is best as it affords the flexibility of swapping the back lens for character and aesthetic reasons.

Anyway enjoy the tear down

img_3472lxupz.jpg

9151004776_a00625f317_c.jpg

9151006162_91a36a1cbc_c.jpg

9151005766_5d2a7b8969_c.jpg

9148777143_32d3c5cdf0_c.jpg