Canon EOS 90D Specs leaked in video

ajay

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Looks like we might finally be getting a Canon DSLR without a 4K crop, since the smallprint mentions the field of view narrowing in 1080p120 mode, but not 4K. Guessing it'll be done via pixel binning though, as I can't imagine Canon of all people managing to produce a sensor that can reliably overscan an effective 7K image without melting.

At the time of launch, does it really matter how late they are to "no-crop" party? They have the product on offer now and it will be decent enough for most (hopefully, DPAF is enabled). These are not PRO cameras, so quit you whining. Every Canon owner that held out for so long will now have a clear upgrade path and Canon is far from doomed.

I'm a Sony user, but I understand Canon's business logic and it hasn't failed them yet. I am comfortable with using quirky cameras, because I understand exactly what I gain in features while having to be a bit more patient. The average user needs a devices that just works with as little tinkering as possible.

What’s up with all the Canon hate? Getting a bit old no?

Personally I feel the obsession with 24p echoes of the colour/black and white discussion of the 20th century. “Real photos are black and white” and so on. Resistance towards colour photography was alive and well into the 1980’s.

Thing is, my eyes see in colour. I see the world in colour. 

Likewise, I don’t see the world in 24 frames per second. My vision updates many times faster than that. More like 240fps.

Not that lens based media necessarily is about mimicking the real world. But IT IS a recording medium, and just as I often want a microphone to be as transparent as possible, I like when the image recording is similarly transparent.

The 24p thing is a tradition. It’s a habit. It’s an aesthetic. Aesthetic norms always evolve. And so they should.

Of course it’s preferable if 24p is available forever, just like film or any quality or other medium. But the notion of “what!?!? No 24p hahahaha” as it it was water we are talking about is a bit short sighted and ironic among creatives.

46 minutes ago, Castorp said:

you're mistaking hate with making fun of which is justified 

47 minutes ago, Castorp said:

The 24p thing is a tradition. It’s a habit. It’s an aesthetic. Aesthetic norms always evolve. And so they should.

The lack of 24p is funny because it's literally one frame less than 25p which you can shoot. So what about 24p makes it impossible to write? Nothing. It's entirely doable. They've done it in the past. They can do it now.

Why isn't it there then? Because they're stupid. And this is why we're making fun of Canon. 

25 minutes ago, Adam Kuźniar said:

you're mistaking hate with making fun of which is justified 

The lack of 24p is funny because it's literally one frame less than 25p which you can shoot. So what about 24p makes it impossible to write? Nothing. It's entirely doable. They've done it in the past. They can do it now.

Why isn't it there then? Because they're stupid. And this is why we're making fun of Canon. 

Probably including 24p results in a higher license fee for using the encoding codec. Since very few people use it in a camera like this, it will save them some money leaving it out. Money which would otherwise have been a production expense but now is a profit.

Not stupid at all, smart is the correct word.

Yeah wow, great move, much smart. How dumb are Sony, Panasonic, Fujifilm & Nikon, eh?! WHAHAHA

Oh, c'mon. Just stop the bullcrap excuses. 'The omiting thing is a tradition. It’s a habit.' Well, yup. In the sense that it's Canon being Canon.

Canon be like: lol, we be crippling them cameras like there's no tomorrow...

tenor.gif

... and they still fucking buy 'em! OMFG! xD

The enablers are to blame here. I'd be gloating too... it's like taking candy from a baby and them not minding getting spit in the face.

30 minutes ago, Thomas Hill said:

Lots of companies only highlight the highest fps in their initial ads. I'm betting 24 is in there on the 90d. Not so sure about the m6m2.

Normally I'd agree with this, but given the bizarrely arbitrary feature cuts that Canon seem to have been inflicting on their latest DSLRs, I can understand why people are so concerned.

6 hours ago, Castorp said:

Personally I feel the obsession with 24p echoes of the colour/black and white discussion of the 20th century. “Real photos are black and white” and so on. Resistance towards colour photography was alive and well into the 1980’s.

Thing is, my eyes see in colour. I see the world in colour. 

Likewise, I don’t see the world in 24 frames per second. My vision updates many times faster than that. More like 240fps.

Not that lens based media necessarily is about mimicking the real world. But IT IS a recording medium, and just as I often want a microphone to be as transparent as possible, I like when the image recording is similarly transparent.

Of course it’s preferable if 24p is available forever, just like film or any quality or other medium. But the notion of “what!?!? No 24p hahahaha” as it it was water we are talking about is a bit short sighted and ironic among creatives.

24p is important because it's a universal frame rate. A large volume of stock footage on my and doubtless other producers' hard drives is encoded at that frame rate, and if I'm working with someone else who's shooting footage in a 60hz region, I can be reasonably sure that my footage (shot in a 50hz region) will match up with theirs. If a camera only operates at one of 25p/50p or 30p/60p, filming with it becomes harder at best, and downright impossible at worst.

3 hours ago, Cinegain said:

tenor.gif

... and they still fucking buy 'em! OMFG! xD

The enablers are to blame here. I'd be gloating too... it's like taking candy from a baby and them not minding getting spit in the face.

"and they still fucking buy 'em! OMFG! xD" thats the best part lmaoooo

The Canon apologist in the mkii thread are saying they don't even shoot 24p now lel. 

• Administrators
6 hours ago, Mokara said:

Probably including 24p results in a higher license fee for using the encoding codec. Since very few people use it in a camera like this, it will save them some money leaving it out. Money which would otherwise have been a production expense but now is a profit.

Not stupid at all, smart is the correct word.

Yeah you keep making bullshit claims even though I told you not to

Unless you can back this rubbish up with proof, I may well ask you to leave the forum.