Canon EOS M6 Mark II

Lars Steenhoff

36 minutes ago, gatopardo said:

24p is not that important to me as i live in a PAL country and don't do feature films. Use 25p all the time. But this are the first 4k Canon cameras which image quality video is really lacking. EOS M50 and EOS R are capable of producing very nice creamy image despite the crop. This ones seem to suffer from the poor upscaling. This way there's no point shooting with a Canon any more.

The YouTube video above suggest the M6ii 4k quality is much better and sharper then the M50 or EOS R. So what is it now?

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • Administrators
4 hours ago, Avenger 2.0 said:

Does the M6ii 4k uncropped has worse quality then the EOS R cropped or not?

Worse. Less detail, more moire and aliasing.

The DPReview chart of 90D shows you what to expect.

Compare it to the X-T30 or X-T3 and it's even more clear how mushy it is and how much moire there is going on

The bar for Canon is so low for them to have a hot mirrorless camera.

24p, FF or nearly FF 4K, DPAF in 1080p120, Clog, RF mount.

4Kp60 would be nice but not essential. 10bit in at least the 24p mode. They can be forgiven for only 8bit in higher FPS since Canon colors are great SOOC.

Thats it. Add a tilt screen and they will win over most people. I would buy that camera and I don’t own any RF or EF glass.

But they won’t do it because they want you to drop 5K plus on the body alone.

And here comes Sony, slowing eating their lunch while it’s still in Canons hands with better and better hybrid AF and tracking technology. Pretty soon, Canons largest advantage and biggest feature, having DPAF, won’t mean shit. 

18 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

Worse. Less detail, more moire and aliasing.

The DPReview chart of 90D shows you what to expect.

Compare it to the X-T30 or X-T3 and it's even more clear how mushy it is and how much moire there is going on

Yeah, I'm seeing it. 4k is pretty bad indeed, but 1080p looks very good to me (especially in comparison to 7d2/80d and even a bit better then m50).

It almost looks like 1080p is downscaled 4k (or 4k upscaled 1080p :p). Don't see much difference between the two.

3 hours ago, Avenger 2.0 said:

Yeah, I'm seeing it. 4k is pretty bad indeed, but 1080p looks very good to me (especially in comparison to 7d2/80d and even a bit better then m50).

It almost looks like 1080p is downscaled 4k (or 4k upscaled 1080p :p). Don't see much difference between the two.

I think 1080P is a bit better than R! On par with Panasonic G95/GX9 I reckon, their 1080P is improved over G85/GX85, but 4K is more gimped due to increase crop.

Sony's 1080P is so bad in comparison, but their 4K is much superior

Canon's 32MP 4K is pretty bad TBH.. worse than cropped 4K on M50/R!

90da7iii.PNG

90da734kPNG.PNG

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hey guys I've ordered this camera and it should be with me next week :)

I also have the X-T30 so I could do some comparison shots before I sell it on if any of you are interested.

Reasons for switching are very specific to my needs as a hobbyist. 

• Paired with the 22mm lens it becomes one of the smallest 35mm equivalent cameras. I can take it anywhere in my jacket pocket.
  • Video features: object tracking (Fuji can only track faces), digital stabilization.
  • From DPreview's charts, the 1080p looks excellent. Decent at 120fps too. I'm not a big 4k guy.
  • Canon colours are about as good as Fuji.
  • Ergonomics: Much better grip (I have an add-on grip for the Fuji but it adds weight and still doesnt feel great). Built in tiltable flash. Flip up screen (not that id use it much). 
  • Can adapt the Sigma 17-50mm f2.8 with native AF support.

One thing I really hope Canon makes is something like Sony's new 16-55mm f2.8. Its small, light and stabilised.

57 minutes ago, Inazuma said:

Hey guys I've ordered this camera and it should be with me next week :)

I also have the X-T30 so I could do some comparison shots before I sell it on if any of you are interested.

Reasons for switching are very specific to my needs as a hobbyist. 

• Paired with the 22mm lens it becomes one of the smallest 35mm equivalent cameras. I can take it anywhere in my jacket pocket.
  • Video features: object tracking (Fuji can only track faces), digital stabilization.
  • From DPreview's charts, the 1080p looks excellent. Decent at 120fps too. I'm not a big 4k guy.
  • Canon colours are about as good as Fuji.
  • Ergonomics: Much better grip (I have an add-on grip for the Fuji but it adds weight and still doesnt feel great). Built in tiltable flash. Flip up screen (not that id use it much). 
  • Can adapt the Sigma 17-50mm f2.8 with native AF support.

One thing I really hope Canon makes is something like Sony's new 16-55mm f2.8. Its small, light and stabilised.

Will be interested to see your findings

I just returned this little camera which I bought to complement my Z6 but I’ve chosen to go for the EM5iii instead.

I figured just like @Inazuma that it would make a great neat package with the pancake 22mm, and it sure did. But I couldn’t keep it because of its lacking stills features. The shutter is obnoxiously loud and clunky and there’s an apparent lag when you’ve taken a picture, almost as if the camera need some extra time to write the data to the sd-card even though I used fast uhs-II sandisks.

But for video I thought it was really nice, excellent dual pixel af, hadn’t tried it before but I do realize now where the hype comes from, I thought it was much better than both the Sony’s and Fuji’s I’ve used in the past. The ergonomics were excellent as well imho.

The digital is was also very effective and the colors, well it’s canon. But an abysmal performance photo wise I must say.

8 minutes ago, Simon Young said:

I just returned this little camera which I bought to complement my Z6 but I’ve chosen to go for the EM5iii instead.

I figured just like @Inazuma that it would make a great neat package with the pancake 22mm, and it sure did. But I couldn’t keep it because of its lacking stills features. The shutter is obnoxiously loud and clunky and there’s an apparent lag when you’ve taken a picture, almost as if the camera need some extra time to write the data to the sd-card even though I used fast uhs-II sandisks.

But for video I thought it was really nice, excellent dual pixel af, hadn’t tried it before but I do realize now where the hype comes from, I thought it was much better than both the Sony’s and Fuji’s I’ve used in the past. The ergonomics were excellent as well imho.

The digital is was also very effective and the colors, well it’s canon. But an abysmal performance photo wise I must say.

Oh thats disappointing to hear! Sounds like the old Sony NEX's with the incredible slow write speed. 

6 minutes ago, Simon Young said:

I hope I got a bad apple but I think it might be the camera itself. But purely as a small video tool I thought it felt great. Please report back with your thoughts! @Inazuma

And please let me know how you get on with the Omd Em5 iii. Ive always wanted an olympus, especially since they introduced phase detection. But their 1080p is usually mush. 

Well I received it 2 days ago (3 days before the estimate) ? Years ago my main casual camera was the Panasonic GX7 + Olympus 17mm f1.8. This camera actually achieves everything that I wanted in an upgrade to it. Maintains the same body size but has a better grip. Better sensor. Better colour out of camera. An even smaller 35mm equivalent lens. And has video stabilisation,

I've been comparing the Canon to my Fuji XT30 ?

20653322_20191110_133908-Copy.thumb.jpg.395c475f36f29447bf6fe33b8b1ea8ea.jpg

Something that surprised me is that there's actually a setting called "Highlight Tone Priority" that's not too dissimilar to Fuji's DR setting. 

Disabled:

Canon_HighlightPriority_Off_1_12.1.thumb.jpg.91d946bcba65656549b1cff022e97ff0.jpg

Enabled:

Canon_HighlightPriority_On_1_13.1.thumb.jpg.d620256729e93348ae40eec461f7320a.jpg

And so the result is that you can actually get quite similar dynamic range to the Fuji with Eterna on DR400.

Fuji:

DR_indoor_fuji_1.2.1.thumb.jpg.988879683f46cc9150dfcad86519abee.jpg

Canon:

DR_indoor_2.1.1.thumb.jpg.45215329f7556472491a35d8c82aa35b.jpg

Fuji:

DR_outdoor_fuji_dr400_1_15.1.thumb.jpg.96616e4a0c2bb16edae8ef12604399ae.jpg

Canon:

DR_outdoor_canon_highlightpriority_2.8.1.thumb.jpg.b3d2df39226c5b4d97075645b5595309.jpg

One thing that disappoints me is that bokeh of the 22mm is noticeably smaller than the Fuji's 23mm.

Fuji 23mm f1.4 @ f2.2:

DSCF3611_lr.thumb.jpg.3a131786db7a89e4e64330226791c1ab.jpg

Canon 22mm @ f2:

IMG_3653_lr.thumb.jpg.7c521436a35d86c3338912f9e0f99671.jpg

Another thing I noticed is that Canon's whitebalance usually does a better job than Fuji. Prior to the X-T30 I've also owned the X-t2, which also struggled with finding the right WB.