newfoundmass

Lesser known YouTube channels people should know about

EOSHD Pro Color for Sony cameras EOSHD Pro LOG for Sony CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

and now for something completely different - content.

Adrian Bliss is back with another series and the first one is an absolute cracker.  I'm not sure if these are satire, parody, black humour, or all of the above, but they are absolutely brilliant.

If the past is anything to go by, the series will be deceptively deep, with previous series having series arcs, character development, and all kinds of subtle things that develop over time.  An average YouTuber he is absolutely not....

On 11/30/2019 at 3:24 AM, heart0less said:

So, in 11-minutes video you get 4 minutes of blah, blah, I've been there, done that, blah, blah, 4 minutes of filmmaking advice and then 3 minutes of 'thanks to the sponsor', LUT time, etc. 

I still watch them, since the tutorial part is really top-level, but I would love to have more concise content. 

Ah, yes. The classic 5 minutes of content with 6 or 7 minutes of fluff to get to the magic 10+ minute YouTube “meme” requirement so your video will have space for ads and so that YouTube will actually show it to people.

Typical fluff includes: making coffee, riding your one wheel somewhere shooting B-roll, teasing a new product/equipment/junk a company sent to you. If you’re really good you do it all at the same time and somehow incorporate a bikini butt picture in the thumbnail to score some adolescence clicks.

I’m not making light of the fact that making quality content on YouTube is easy. Most quality content just doesn’t do well on YouTube and so doesn’t make YouTube money hence all that other crap.

This is a bit (very) niche but if you enjoy watching countless videos of absolutely shamefully pristine used cameras and lenses being shown for your entertainment before you buy them for very reasonable prices from them online (or in person if you ever find yourself in Shinjuku) then the Map Camera channel is perfect.

Absolutely zero "Hey guys, what's happening ?" intros guaranteed.

If you are interested in writing music for film (even, or particularly, if you have a penchant for doing it whilst in a cafe or, erm, a car wash) then Guy Michelmore's channel is really enjoyable.

And for readers of more advancing years, yes, his Dad was the erstwhile legend of BBC package holiday reviews, Cliff MIchelmore

11 hours ago, BTM_Pix said:

This is a bit (very) niche but if you enjoy watching countless videos of absolutely shamefully pristine used cameras and lenses being shown for your entertainment before you buy them for very reasonable prices from them online (or in person if you ever find yourself in Shinjuku) then the Map Camera channel is perfect.

I like tech Asmr videos like that. 

With click sounds, tapping, gloves, and soft or no speaking! ???

2 minutes ago, Grimor said:

I like tech Asmr videos like that. 

With click sounds, tapping, gloves, and soft or no speaking! ???

I was thinking about doing some myself with my own gear for people who enjoy the scraping sounds of dust, sand, worn motors and gaffer tape !

On 1/3/2020 at 11:59 AM, BTM_Pix said:

absolutely shamefully pristine used cameras and lenses being shown for your entertainment

Strangely the camera in that video is very much less than prestine! As it has intentionally had the brand name (come on, WHY? We all know it is a Nikon) and the model number removed from the camera. 

And here's another one for lovers of VR360 without random fancy effects! LOL : )

>> I never forget Hitchcock response on the cow's perspective/POV : D when Truffaut asked him why there's no place for establishing landscape shots in his invariable use of trains as common and regular set of a few movies by his own (singular) storytelling...

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6AXBF-78lNa3_TjAIWZWmQ/videos

Here's one from same production house to be played on VR360 closer to what this exhibition tool has been intended for:

Following on from the VR Gorilla stuff above...

Not a specific channel recommendation here but more an example of the sort of engaging 360 content that comes up if you search for "360 documentary" on YouTube.

Whilst narrative productions will likely be wrestling for a long time yet with the challenges the format brings and waiting for the quality to increase, pieces such as these really do illustrate the potential of the medium as is for documentaries.

I see we are living a new age nowadays as sound, colour, cinemascope and digital were one day true revolutions for this medium, still there, more than the early experiments the VR360 brands still insist to show off once clueless how to promote this technology.

Most part totally without any aesthetics background and with no extra know-how beyond the gadget itself.

It is a piece of tool to discover yet in wise hands and creatively enriched sights, undoubtedly to believe then.

E : -)

Y'all also follow the livestreams? Especially on wednessdays there's a lot going on.

Earlier today Jem Schofield did one on theC47. Then Gerald Undone collabed with Philip Bloom, where the likes of DSLR Video Shooter/Caleb Pike, Tom Antos, Curtis Judd and MAKE. ART. NOW. Josh Yeo made an appearance in the chat. Then Toby at PhotoRec TV had his livestream and to top it off theC47 was back at it again with Jem, Caleb Pike and Ben Barden for Camera & Flask (my fav, + fun little community e.g. Bart Johnson, Victor Bart, 360 Grad, Shiznuts, Chris Koehn etc).

DSLRFilmnoob Deejay used to do a livestream as well, they were like one of the first ones? With sidekick Devin. Haven't seen them in ages.

3 hours ago, Cinegain said:

DSLRFilmnoob Deejay used to do a livestream as well, they were like one of the first ones? With sidekick Devin. Haven't seen them in ages.

He hasn't uploaded in 2yrs! ?
Used to watch so much of his stuff. 
His main channel intro video is FIVE YEARS OLD! ?