newfoundmass

Lesser known YouTube channels people should know about

EOSHD Pro Color for Sony cameras EOSHD Pro LOG for Sony CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

On 8/19/2019 at 3:26 PM, newfoundmass said:

What are some of the lesser known YouTube channels that you find to be informative / helpful /whatever for Filmmaking? Most of these channels have under 10,000 subs when I think they deserve more. 

Though their channel has gotten a bit more quiet this year (sign of business success I hope!) I love what this team has been up to from a creative and technical stand point and they've been very generous with the community posting an always-informative (and what used to be a mostly) weekly hour-long live video broadcast...

CRFTSHO - YouTube:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCz0x9El1RnVx3qepP7PhpSg/videos

...along with some equally informative short info videos tossed in along the way...thankfully all of this content is archived above along with their current stuff! A couple of quick-witted and extremely talented guys, Drew and Jeff and their CrftSho team have been on my list of go-to and go-back-to's. :)

9 hours ago, Jimmy G said:

Though their channel has gotten a bit more quiet this year (sign of business success I hope!) I love what this team has been up to from a creative and technical stand point and they've been very generous with the community posting an always-informative (and what used to be a mostly) weekly hour-long live video broadcast...

CRFTSHO - YouTube:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCz0x9El1RnVx3qepP7PhpSg/videos

...along with some equally informative short info videos tossed in along the way...thankfully all of this content is archived above along with their current stuff! A couple of quick-witted and extremely talented guys, Drew and Jeff and their CrftSho team have been on my list of go-to and go-back-to's. :)

I subscribed but find their vids too long when I'm just looking for the info that's on the title

Thanks for the lists! Been looking for good youtube vids since I also plan on creating a channel.

Here's some more:

https://www.youtube.com/user/Spensersakurai/videos - filmmaking stuff

I wanna list CorridorDigital but they're already pretty well known. Any one knows a channel where they create good Sci-fi stuff and behind the scene stuff of their sci-fi films? THanks

The way the guy goes and bring us close to his universe through good sound capture, narrator style from a century of narrative tradition on his and our back to pair critical approach showing us more open gates than providing answers anyone hardly have to firmly sell us without a trade-off... that's a productive fine example for others there:

Another recommendation;

https://www.youtube.com/user/element1108

Mark Holtze does a lot of videos on vintage lenses. His reviews and comments are very thoughtful; I really enjoy listening to him, he's very well spoken. His videos on the Takumar lenses are especially worth checking out, since they're not the most common vintage lenses you'll see people talking about. 

I discovered him a couple of weeks ago. 

Very informative videos that point out quite a few great tips / things to pay attention to. 

What starts to annoy me is the fact that he recently began making these videos more vlog-like. 

So, in 11-minutes video you get 4 minutes of blah, blah, I've been there, done that, blah, blah, 4 minutes of filmmaking advice and then 3 minutes of 'thanks to the sponsor', LUT time, etc. 

I still watch them, since the tutorial part is really top-level, but I would love to have more concise content. 

34 minutes ago, heart0less said:

I discovered him a couple of weeks ago. 

Very informative videos that point out quite a few great tips / things to pay attention to. 

What starts to annoy me is the fact that he recently began making these videos more vlog-like. 

So, in 11-minutes video you get 4 minutes of blah, blah, I've been there, done that, blah, blah, 4 minutes of filmmaking advice and then 3 minutes of 'thanks to the sponsor', LUT time, etc. 

I still watch them, since the tutorial part is really top-level, but I would love to have more concise content. 

I agree.

I suspect that people are playing with the YT algorithm and trying to get ahead.  Philip Bloom seems to have gone that way - more videos but with a reduction in quality.  

I maintain that the most important part of making a YT video is working out what you're going to say beforehand.  Even making a list of dot-points before hitting record would triple the quality of most channels.  I still think that Mark has a much higher density of telling me things that are useful (and I haven't heard before) than most other people.  

Darius Britt is also good like this, and I'm pretty sure he doesn't make a video until he's refined his list of dot-points....  https://www.youtube.com/user/D4Darious