Sign in to follow this  
newfoundmass

Lesser known YouTube channels people should know about

What are some of the lesser known YouTube channels that you find to be informative / helpful /whatever for Filmmaking? Most of these channels have under 10,000 subs when I think they deserve more. 

Felicia Smith

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC0VID5nSIk6QDC65bHym7TQ

I stumbled upon her channel and there are videos that I wished I'd seen when I first started, especially the "What's in a camera assistants bag?" video that goes over tons of things I had to learn "the hard way." I also think it's cool that she adds another female voice to filmmaking. Not enough of those. 

DIYCameraGuy

https://www.youtube.com/user/DIYCameraGuy

I think he has some cool little tricks up his sleeve. I wish he was more active, but when he does make a video I almost always get something out of it. 

Gaffer & Gear

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOgN351K45vTrozaadFPXlA

What I like about this channel is how in depth he gets. Again this is stuff I'd wished I'd seen when starting out, and is helping me shore up some of my weaknesses when it comes to production and filmmaking. 

Lucas Pfaff

https://www.youtube.com/user/erish2k5

I like Lucas's channel because he reviews a lot of budget gear, and has also started getting into stuff like anamorphic shooting, something I'm starting to dip my toe into. 

TL;DR Filmmaker

https://www.youtube.com/user/TheAsianFilmmaker7

I've been dipping my toe into narrative work, and I've found his videos to be pretty helpful. He also does quite a few reviews on budget gear. I do worry though that he's becoming another YouTuber that gets free gear in return for reviews. :(

Video Gizmology

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCv23Zj2x11HHN-NG3fU_64g

He owns a lot of equipment! I'm not quite sure why, ha ha, but he does. And he usually does a pretty in depth overview for quite a bit of it, and will do comparisons. 

-----

I feel like the filmmaking/production community on YouTube has changed a lot over the last couple years, and not for the better. While you still can get a lot out of them, education and teaching has taken a backseat to everyone wanting to become an "influencer." Get those free trips, free stuff to review, get that ad revenue, etc. So I just thought maybe I'd turn some people into some channels that really are helpful and have yet to fall into that cycle. Hopefully they help someone! Please share some of your own! 

EOSHD Pro Color for Sony cameras EOSHD Pro LOG for Sony CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
45 minutes ago, Avenger 2.0 said:

Good idea. Thanks a lot!

Thank you! I always try to support and encourage these kinds of channels when I find them because I want them to know it's appreciated, no matter how many views or subscribers they have. 

NigelBarros - has nice content especially on budget gear and maximizing old 1080p cameras. He shoots on a gh3 and his results are better than some people with an a7iii and zeiss glass

Scott McKenna - Useful channel for wedding filmmakers and also video producers who work in a church environment like myself. 

Nigel is great. He's very talented. 

I also like Scott. His wedding behind the scenes is crucial for any beginniner these days, they're so thorough. Not sure I'll get a lot out of his newer direction though. I'm happy though that his business is growing! 

3 hours ago, feliciacine said:

Oh my gosh! I just got notified by another subscriber about this little thread. Thank you for including me, newfoundmass. What a wonderful list you've made there!

Welcome to EOSHD! Hopefully you stick around! And I'm just happy to help others find useful information and content! Thank you for your work! 😊

5 hours ago, feliciacine said:

Oh my gosh! I just got notified by another subscriber about this little thread. Thank you for including me, newfoundmass. What a wonderful list you've made there!

Felicia, what a great channel you have!! New sub here! 

I wanna keep this on track, and will be adding other channels as I find them and hope others do too, but this is today's example of what frustrates me these days about a YouTube. (see attached) 

You know when the "influencers" all got their free gear because they all literally post their "reviews" at the same time. I'm not sure if it's because there's some kind of embargo or if everyone just rushes to release theirs first, but when you see everyone posting theirs at the same time it:

1. Hits you over the head that they all got the gear for free. 

2. Tells you they probably rushed to make the review, which isn't very helpful from an editorial or quality stand point. 

What I'm trying to say, and I'm not sure if I'm succeeding, is try to appreciate and actively support those that post genuine content that helps educate and inform. While I was a bit critical of Caleb Pike's EOS R coverage, he's someone that I appreciate and respect because he buys most of the stuff he reviews, and continues to put out educational stuff, proving that you can be successful without becoming a shill. 

Anyway, rant over! 😂

Capture+_2019-08-22-12-14-51.png

22 minutes ago, heart0less said:

I always considered D4Darious as a DIY, low-budget, it's-not-the-gear-that-matters guy, but I'm afraid he also took the bait.

image.png.d8745b0b7680eb9c364e557ec49878be.png

I want to give people the benefit of the doubt, but it's hard, especially after you've watched each video and they all essentially say the same thing as if they were given talking points. 

I like D4Darious too a lot. I hope he doesn't change what makes his channel great. 

Let’s not forget Matti Haapoja and Peter Mckinnon!  Their subtle CineLut advertisements along with titles and thumbnails that force you to watch the entire video to have any idea what it is about really pushes me farther as an artist and filmmaker. Inspiring!