3 new Letus anamorphic adapter videos

KarimNassar

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I really like these tests.  Unfortunately it clearly shows they took the Panasonic LA7200 design.  I definitely think it's a 2 element design, with the "close focusing" just a movement of the back element as shown in video 1.

The other problems are that it shows the lack of sharpness which means the need for diopters just like the LA7200.  Also that it can't focus past 135mm, same thing.  The good thing is that it seems very sharp at the edges especially at wide angles.  No smearing like the LA7200.

I do like the housing design although it's large and means it can't be handheld.  But maybe a small rig will help, and it will also help with lens changes rather than screwing it directly to the taking lens.

I wish that it would flare more, but he did say it was the MC version.  I wish he would test with an older lens like an old Nikon AI or something.  The street night shot at the end of video 3 would have been great with just a bit of flaring.

Overall this looks very good.  I think just the rehousing of the lens with rails holder is enough to justify the cost.  However having 2-3 or more of these for different focal lengths isn't right.  It should just be one single design that has different settings for different focal lengths.  But even with these different focal lengths, it clearly shows that a diopter is needed anyway which kind of defeats the purpose.

I really hope that Letus can make good on this because it has a lot of potential.  But with SLR Magic showing a single unit that's much more compact and just as sharp, I wonder how successful they will be.  I do love the beefed up design with the rails mount though.

• 2 months later...

It looks like there are tradeoffs compared to the LA7200.  On the one hand, it's sharper, particularly at the edges and you can use it at okay stops below 80mm (pre-diopter).  I can't recall ever seeing any LA7200 footage that wasn't either soft all over or really soft at the edges when shot wider than f/5.6 at nearly any focal length unless a diopter was used -OR- the unit had been modified so that the front and rear element could be spaced by the operator.

Flaring looks muted, even in other tests from their (supposedly) most flare friendly coating, and it doesn't appear to allow follow-focus with any lens that breathes (like an LA7200 modified so that the front and rear element could be spaced by the operator).

Someone needs to do a thorough side-by-side with the Panasonic to see what's really going on.  Even better if they've got one that's been split, to see if that's all it takes to make an LA7200 a better flaring Letus.  It wouldn't solve the new caveat precluding follow-focus but I'd eat my words that the Letus kills demand and street price for the Panasonic.