Resolve studio vs new pc

Shell64

I recently purchased an rtx 2060 to use in davinci resolve. Unfortunately, the free version does not fully utilize this card.  I have the option to either purchase resolve studio which would give me h264 acceleration with my GPU or build a new pc around an amd ryzen 5 2600. My current rig has an i7 3770 and 8gb ram (will upgrade to 16gb soon).  What route would give me the best performance in 4K h264 footage?

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
1 hour ago, Shell64 said:

I recently purchased an rtx 2060 to use in davinci resolve. Unfortunately, the free version does not fully utilize this card.  I have the option to either purchase resolve studio which would give me h264 acceleration with my GPU or build a new pc around an amd ryzen 5 2600. My current rig has an i7 3770 and 8gb ram (will upgrade to 16gb soon).  What route would give me the best performance in 4K h264 footage?

A studio licence would speed up your workflow way more with H264 and H265 involved since you have a pretty powerful GPU which isn't really used by the free version.

5 hours ago, Shell64 said:

Pay for Resolve and upgrade your ram. The GPU accelerated export of H264 runs at ~110 fps for me (RTX 2080) The default export running on my 6-core intel i7 5820K is ~60 fps. 

• Super Members

I think he asked about the original BMPCC which didn't include Resolve.

The BMPCC4K did, just like the BMCC which I firmly believe is the camera the former truly is replacing. My guess is they changed the name.

I see clues in the design, buttons, Resolve, screen and that the P6K follows the P4K just like the BMPC did the BMCC.

6 hours ago, Shell64 said:

Wow. Is there a safe way to get a used copy?

I bought a used dongle from ebay from before the price drop and it's fine.  Think of it like buying anything electronic from ebay that costs a few hundred dollars... check sellers reputation, reason why they'd be selling such a thing, other items for sale, etc.

My friend try the new nvidia acceleration options on his rig which is i7-7700 (4c8t) with RTX2080, his rendering of a 2:30hr video in FHD drop from over 1hr to 15min.. pretty impressive boost!

He said he got about 70% utilisations on the GPU, with adobe premiere it barely using any GPU..

21 hours ago, Shell64 said:

So which is it then? Yay or nay for full power single GPU (RTX or other) support in the free version (Lite lets call it)..

DaVinci Resolve heavily leverages the video card(s) in your system to improve playback and rendering performance. Because of this, your choice of GPU has a direct impact on how well your system performs. One key thing to note is that while the Free Edition of Resolve can utilize powerful cards like the RTX 2080, it is limited to just a single GPU. The Studio Edition, however, can technically utilize up to eight GPUs - although in our testing the performance typically peaks at around 3-4 GPUs.

https://www.pugetsystems.com/recommended/Recommended-Systems-for-DaVinci-Resolve-187/Hardware-Recommendations

Yes. Also h264 doesn’t utilize your gpu on the free version. Transcode your footage to cineform and the gpu usage shoots up. It also utilizes your gpu for rendering if you render in cineform. I have run tests on the free version to confirm this. 

Ok, thanks. A search of the web seems to bring (above my head) conflicting H264/H265 decoding statements on the free version so I won’t paste here. Also Resolve evolves rapidly it seems so it’s hard to keep track. I suspect your pretty old processor and associated kit (motherboard, memory, storage?) may not be helping? I’ve a i7-9700K arriving tomorrow along with Quadro 4000 RTX, which at the time seemed a good idea for 10bit output prior to Nvidia gifting (nicely) 10bit to cheaper and argueably more powerful games orientated RTX and other cards. My view, though clearly not backed up, is you could probably do with a more modern PC setup and then Resolve Studio may or may not be deemed necessary. I wonder if you purchase Studio your PC may still struggle in someway. If not, looks like I will need to find some more $’s myself...?

Be cautious with Ryzen (if you might be considering latest gen also) this may be bluff by custom computer builders with a lot of Intel cores to shift, but apparently Ryzen, whilst released, may not be ready for prime time, especially if you just need your PC to just do its job. Could be hearsay so again probably useless advice. My decision was the reasonably affordable, high frequency and well reviewed i7-9700K for that reason.